If King Is Still Dinged Up Next Sat But Could Play …

Let's look at our history with ND. If King can't play we should start a freshman TE at QB and roll with it. I don't know the names of any of our freshmen TE walkons so just use Harpring.

"On a memorable afternoon in 1976, Georgia Tech and its wishbone offense, led by freshman Gary Lanier knocked off mighty Notre Dame – ranked No. 11 at the time and the team that would win it all the following season – without ever putting the ball in the air."

@gtleviathan hold on to me…
200w.gif

If it's a concussion it's very unlikely he'd be cleared in time for Notre Dame.

Check out the concussion protocol:

Particularly:
Each NCAA student-athlete with concussion must undergo a supervised stepwise
progression* management plan by a health care provider with expertise in concussion
that specifies:
Step 1: Symptom-limited activities of daily living.
Step 2: Aerobic exercise with light resistance training as tolerated (no more than
mild+ or brief++ exacerbation of symptoms).
2a: Light (up to approximately 55% maximum heart rate); then
2b: Moderate (up to approximately 70% maximum heart rate).
Step 3: Individual sport-specific exercise and activity without any risk of
inadvertent head-impact exposure.
Proceed to Step 4 only after resolution of signs and symptoms related to the current
concussion, including with and after physical exertion.
Step 4: Non-contact practice with progressive resistance training.
Step 5: Unrestricted practice or training.
Step 6: Unrestricted return-to-sport. **
*It is typical for each step to be ≥
24 hours.

**Unrestricted return-to-sport should not occur prior to unrestricted return-to-learn for
injuries occurring while the athlete is enrolled in classes

If it's a concussion it's very unlikely he'd be cleared in time for Notre Dame.

Check out the concussion protocol:

Particularly:
Each NCAA student-athlete with concussion must undergo a supervised stepwise
progression* management plan by a health care provider with expertise in concussion
that specifies:
Step 1: Symptom-limited activities of daily living.
Step 2: Aerobic exercise with light resistance training as tolerated (no more than
mild+ or brief++ exacerbation of symptoms).
2a: Light (up to approximately 55% maximum heart rate); then
2b: Moderate (up to approximately 70% maximum heart rate).
Step 3: Individual sport-specific exercise and activity without any risk of
inadvertent head-impact exposure.
Proceed to Step 4 only after resolution of signs and symptoms related to the current
concussion, including with and after physical exertion.
Step 4: Non-contact practice with progressive resistance training.
Step 5: Unrestricted practice or training.
Step 6: Unrestricted return-to-sport. **
*It is typical for each step to be ≥
24 hours.

**Unrestricted return-to-sport should not occur prior to unrestricted return-to-learn for
injuries occurring while the athlete is enrolled in classes
I thought it was an arm/shoulder thing?

Do we play him or let him heal up another week and be ready for the last three conference games? I’d hate to see him play and end up hurting his shoulder worse.
That's a really good point, and to be honest it entirely hinges on

Let's look at our history with ND. If King can't play we should start a freshman TE at QB and roll with it. I don't know the names of any of our freshmen TE walkons so just use Harpring.

I was at the 1976 game. Tech beat ranked ND without even attempting a forward pass. I think we won today in spite of not playing very well. I think we'll be up for the game next week. I wish it was a home game at Grant Field, but we'll just have to upset another ranked team on the road. If all phases of the special teams and defense improve as they must and everybody is sky high as they should be, that will help make up for any drop off at QB. I don't think we should risk Haynes King, if he is not completely ready to play his best.

I was actually relieved to see King come out today, he has looked increasingly banged up for the past few games. His toughness is admirable, but with a backup like Pyron (when given the whole play book to run) he deserves time to get healthy again.

We are the deepest at QB for the first time in my memory of being a GT fan for the last 30+ yrs. If Pyron has to start but falters or gets injured, I think Philo will be able to step right in. I think he’ll be the starter after King leaves. The kid just wins and has a feel for the game like an upper classmen.

"On a memorable afternoon in 1976, Georgia Tech and its wishbone offense, led by freshman Gary Lanier knocked off mighty Notre Dame – ranked No. 11 at the time and the team that would win it all the following season – without ever putting the ball in the air."
I remember that one, I was a sophomore. We should have knocked off the SEC Champs that year too.

We’re probably not gonna reveal if he can play or not all week. We’ll find out on Saturday at the same time as Notre Dame.
College football now wants to be the NFL they should be required to go by NFL rules concerning injuries. They have to announce who is injured before the game so the gamblers can make informed bets.

We are the deepest at QB for the first time in my memory of being a GT fan for the last 30+ yrs. If Pyron has to start but falters or gets injured, I think Philo will be able to step right in. I think he’ll be the starter after King leaves. The kid just wins and has a feel for the game like an upper classmen.
Zach will be up for the task. And he was also 56-3 as a starting qb in HS, played in 3 consecutive state championships as a starting Qb and is 3-0 in those games. He was 18-1 as a starting Qb in playoff games in HS also. And half of his HS career was in the one of the highest classifications in the state of Alabama. So winning is also in his DNA. And the play calling against UNC wasn’t because he cannot throw.

Regardless of who starts, ND will be a good football team and hands down the best defense we’ve played all year, so a total team effort will be required. And let me be clear, we hope and pray Haynes is healthy and can play.

King and Pyron are the toughest pair of QBs Ive ever seen on the same team.
Was listening to this in my apartment on St Simons. My mutt neighbors were watching the infamous "Fourth and Dumb" Gagger-Gator game. Lots of competing yelling. Parsegian was the color guy for their game and when shown the score said he was going to be sick. Good times

College football now wants to be the NFL they should be required to go by NFL rules concerning injuries. They have to announce who is injured before the game so the gamblers can make informed bets.
The 49ers say hello.

Back