Impact on Recruiting

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
If GT had Dabo's assistants and Dabo's budget then Geoff Collins would look like twice the genius Dabo is.
Dabo didn’t have Dabo’s assistants when he started there either. Still doesn’t change that those people were dumb AF, just like you’re acting right now.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
Yo

Did your fraternity know anything about football? Yes, it was frustrating but among the GDI alumni I was part of, we knew Ross could coach based on winning an ACC championship at frigging Maryland. Our discussion was more that maybe we should just drop football, not get a new coach. We also kind of slammed Curry for leaving such a bad situation to him. Couldn't believe Alabama took Curry. I don't think you were comparing Collins to Ross, that would be nuts. I'm pulling for Collins but he has to prove he can coach. WE knew Ross could, we just didn't know if he would quit from frustration before winning. Then Shawn Jones showed up. Hope somebody like Shawn Jones shows up for Collins. Ross did whip a top 10 South Carolina team with a terrible Tech team just by outcoaching there "dressed in black" Coach. They kept blitzing and although our QB was not good, he could throw a swing pass to a RB who had clear field in front of him.
Yo. So in all of that what you were really saying was that it takes time and that knowledgeable fans should STFU and give it time? Glad you agree.

yellowbritchies

Flats Noob
And they still lost a ton of games for a couple of years. The simple point is only morons want to fire any coach after 3 games. You support your coach through the transition which is 3 years minimum. We aren't a blueblood program that a coach can come into and pick and choose from players to fit any scheme he would like. It takes time and the offense re-work from both a technique and talent point of view is enormous. Tech fans can ignore the plain evidence but basically everyone else in college football knew it.

I'm sure Collins knows it but he doesn't want to throw his players under the bus; seems he has more class than many Tech fans.
From what I've seen with 3 games it might be at least 4 years before Tech will be competitive in the ACC. I'm willing to wait and continue to buy my Gold Seat season tickets!

User 10337

From what I've seen with 3 games it might be at least 4 years before Tech will be competitive in the ACC. I'm willing to wait and continue to buy my Gold Seat season tickets!
Exactly who are you watching? Cause I’ve watched nearly every coastal game this season and the coastal is sorry. We should out recruit everyone in the Coastal with the exception of Miami.

Tshirt Man

Varsity Lurker
Bingo! If there really isn't a QB on staff who can run your system, that is how you get a guy (not THE guy) to run your system for a year while you transition the offense an look for THE guy. Funny how someone like CPJ, who can't recruit, was able to figure that out.

My biggest gripe right now is that GT is afraid to rip the band aid off and transition to a new offense. Our team is having to practice 3 different offenses each week depending on who comes in for which snap, and then the football geniuses on here can't figure out why the OL can't figure out the blocking schemes and technique. Which of the multiple offensive schemes are they not figuring out? You can't for second think the problem is our OL is too small and too quick to block the Citadel. I would rather see the offense be consistent, even if they are bad at it, and get meaningful reps that build for the future, than this roulette wheel offense they are doing now. Then again maybe the 3 QB rotation is what the future plan is.
Exactly. Im drunk (again) but ööööing pick something and go with it. Either try to win as many as you can this year or lose them all and prepare for the future.
Pick a QB and build on it. If you want to win, run Oliver and Mason. If you want to show what we are trying to do, play Graham or Yates or the guy in seat 132, I don't give a öööö, but stop half assing it. Commit to something and don't try to win then change it up in the middle of the drive

LaFlavor

Flats Noob
Same thing happened up at Clemson with Dabo. Hell, there are STILL some idiots on this board who call him a clown and think he sucks as a coach.
I certainly don't think he sucks as a coach, that would be ridiculous, but he's definitely a clown. But think about it. What's his major strength? Recruiting! And why is that? Because kids love clowns, so of course they want to go play at Clempson.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
I certainly don't think he sucks as a coach, that would be ridiculous, but he's definitely a clown. But think about it. What's his major strength? Recruiting! And why is that? Because kids love clowns, so of course they want to go play at Clempson.

Oh yeah. He totally sucks as a coach and these people were spot on! </sarcasm>
Dude, STFU. His major strength is being a head coach. A head coach doesn't have to call plays offensively or defensively. His job is to run the entire program. If he does that by hiring great coordinators and other coaches, taking less money as a salary so that he can afford those guys, and manages to keep all but one of his staff over a 9 year period, all while winning 2 national championships and barely losing in a 3rd? That sounds like one hell of a head coach to me. Sign me up for some of that kind of head coaching clownery at GT!

LaFlavor

Flats Noob

Oh yeah. He totally sucks as a coach and these people were spot on! </sarcasm>
Dude, STFU.
I don't know why you're getting so bent out of shape. I specifically said that it would be ridiculous to think he sucks as a coach. Are you dehydrated, maybe? Have some juice.

beej67

new around here
Dabo didn’t have Dabo’s assistants when he started there either.
And Paul Johnson beat him with Chan's players. He only started being a good coach when he quit actually coaching. Which is fine for a place like Clemson. We aren't Clemson.

Kids go to Clemson because they have hundreds of millions of dollars sunk into player specific facilities. Even if they aren't getting paid (which they may be) they live like NFL players for four years while they're in "school."

We will never beat Clemson for a recruit. I have 2 degrees from GT and I would never go to GT to play football if I had a Clemson offer. If my son played football and had a Clemson offer, I would never tell him to go to GT. Harvard, maybe. GT, absolutely not. Anyone who thinks recruiting is all about a coach's personality needs to wake up.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
And Paul Johnson beat him with Chan's players. He only started being a good coach when he quit actually coaching. Which is fine for a place like Clemson. We aren't Clemson.

Kids go to Clemson because they have hundreds of millions of dollars sunk into player specific facilities. Even if they aren't getting paid (which they may be) they live like NFL players for four years while they're in "school."

We will never beat Clemson for a recruit. I have 2 degrees from GT and I would never go to GT to play football if I had a Clemson offer. If my son played football and had a Clemson offer, I would never tell him to go to GT. Harvard, maybe. GT, absolutely not. Anyone who thinks recruiting is all about a coach's personality needs to wake up.
That really isn't the point. They didn't go to Clemson because of Dabo's personality but because of the culture he built at Clemson. It was about a lot of stuff other than Dabo's personality. Collins would laugh at you for thinking that is what he is doing.

He did change the culture at Clemson. Clemson had a lot of advantages but there is a reason that they climbed above the Auburns & Tenns of the world and that was because Dabo had a vision and plan to build Clemson into a great program. He executed that plan very well and it is paying off. They have a few players that could have played at Bama or UGA but they went to Clemson because of that culture, not because Clemson has nicer facilities than Bama because they don't.

Maybe Collins' plan isn't as good and I do agree that getting to Clemson and Bama's level is impossible but we can get to a higher consistent level than we have been for most of the last 17 years.