Impact on Recruiting

Discussion in 'Football' started by cbee, Sep 15, 2019.

1. cbee

cbee Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Carrollton, Georgia
    Maybe not but we did win 7 games. That is not the point. I think most of us were disappointed in last year but I have never, since my first game at Grant Field in 1966, seen a Tech team get 3 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in a game, much less one quarter. That is without question, a lack of discipline and that is on the coach, no matter how long he has been in the position.

And one more thing.....nothing last year was as embarrassing as losing to an 0-2 FCS school.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Walton

Walton Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Yeah, I've never seen a replay of a TD play were the ref doesn't clearly signal TD so that everyone knows and as you say, he never signaled TD at the time of the play and I didn't see the line judge do so either. The score board was screwed up at the time and literally no one was sure it was a TD: not the Tech bench, not some of the Citadel bench, not the Tech fans and the Citadel fans didn't have a clue until we announced their score of 14 points. They went crazy and our fans looked around confused.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GoGATech

GoGATech Big Dummy

Loc:
    GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    This is the kind of argument I hate. Cherry pick your stats and forget the rest. We have 2 games with 4 penalties total for I think 20 total yards. Then our guys get frustrated and get a few this game so we just discount how we started and now all of a sudden we have a discipline problem.

4. Yukonwreck

Yukonwreck Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Tampa, Florida
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I am not at all close to the program. But you don't need to be close to the program to tell we weren't ready for a winless FCS program. Citadel came to play, we didn't, we never led, we gave up 300 yards to a team that probably has 50 players that could not make our scout team. We played a bad game against South Florida, too. It ain't a well oiled machine by any stretch of the imagination. I get it, the re-branding is an essential means toward an end of having long term success. But if Tech doesn't win football games, the brand is going nowhere.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GoGATech

GoGATech Big Dummy

Loc:
    GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Yeah that was ridiculous. Nobody ever signaled TD, the line judge was marking him out at about the half yard line, and the replay announcement was "Play stands as called." Well it was never called a TD, so how does it stand as called and it's a TD?

6. Yukonwreck

Yukonwreck Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Tampa, Florida
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Taunting and thuggery should not be part of our new brand. :nono:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Allen Koholic

Allen Koholic Likes dick drawings.

Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech, whoever is playing Georgia
    Sure thing. Here you go, big guy. I'll make to provide sources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Appalachian_State_vs._Michigan_football_game#Michigan

The 2015 Gamecocks headcoaches - Stephen Orr Spurrier and Shawn Elliot
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_South_Carolina_Gamecocks_football_team

The 2016 Gamecocks head coach - Will "Limp Dick" Muschamp
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_South_Carolina_Gamecocks_football_team

8. RamblinWreck92

RamblinWreck92 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Shangri La
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    That Sycamore victory was the first GT game I attended as a student. That was a fun rebuild to watch.

9. DressCheeseSideSeaboard

DressCheeseSideSeaboard Cyborg

Loc:
    Out of town
    Team:
    Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
    Bill Curry didn’t leave the cupboard bare, either, when he left us to go coach at Alabama.

10. RamblinWreck92

RamblinWreck92 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Shangri La
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    This is the kind of rebuttal I hate. I didn't "Cherry pick" anything. I didn't call out season penalties as a whole, only the poor disciplined ones of the Citadel loss. And those absolutely fall on the HC.

11. jts1207

jts1207 Making Stingtalk Great Again

Loc:
    North Carolina
    Team:
    Yellow Jackets
    Not reading the whole thread but Im assuming about the same effect going to the Orange Bowl had for us ..............0

12. GEETEELEE

GEETEELEE Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Hog Mountain, GA
    Team:
    Ga Tech!
    So, the eventual coach of the 1990 National Champions went 2-9 and 3-8 with all that talent Curry left?

To be fair, a lot of guys transferred or quit, and many on the team just didn't like Ross.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Walton

Walton Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    And I'm pretty sure for one of those guys it was 100% out of character. Not sure what got into him.

I guess everyone forgets all the chp
    You calling it thuggery is pretty telling you are biased or at least a stick in the mud. You should go cheer for a Christian school like Baylor who always plays with moral integrity.

BTW, I think they both should have been penalties after watching them again but on the first, we continued the tackle after the whistle but it wasn't anything violent and on the second we yelled at their QB; yelled in his face. My gawd, I'm not sure a cadet at the Citadel will recover from that thuggish behavior, he should call the cops whenever that happens to him.

Also, that player is a great kid playing with a heavy heart this year. I'm not going to judge him and calling him a thug is immoral in my book.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DressCheeseSideSeaboard

DressCheeseSideSeaboard Cyborg

Loc:
    Out of town
    Team:
    Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
    Yet, Boss Ross and his players were able to right the ship and take it somewhere it hadn’t been in a long time. If it weren’t for the players Curry left, we could have lost to the Citadel in 1987.

15. Vespidie

Vespidie Helluva Engineer

Loc:
    Undisclosed
    Team:
    GT
    Well said.

16. Vespidie

Loc:
    Undisclosed
    Team:
    GT
    The juice has soured a bit.

• Big Cry Big Cry x 1
  17. GoGATech

GoGATech Big Dummy

Loc:
    GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I didn't say they don't and I 100% agree those need correcting and are to blame on the staff. But your original argument was "Our staff looks unprepared and in over it's head." We're through 3 games. One against the defending champs. One we didn't play the greatest but got the W. And this one was bad all around yes but none of that relates to a coaching staff being in over its head. With that sample size there is absolutely no way you can make that assessment. I can see the challenge this staff is facing. We see as outsiders that running Tobias is likely our best offense and we all want to win. The coaches see that too I'm sure but they also are trying to transition this offense. If recruits see us run the ball 80% of the time with the QB and running back with no type of passing effort, they're going to turn their heads to that style of offense just like they did to the triple. You have to balance that out and that's what the coaches are trying to do with Lucas since Tobias can't seem to make the throws. Another thing that doesn't help that is that Lucas performs extremely well in practice. He just hasn't been able to transition that to live games yet.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Vespidie

Loc:
    Undisclosed
    Team:
    GT
    Interesting point about the Citadel TD never being signaled by the referee. People around me wondered what the hell was happening, and why would Citadel be kicking a FG on 2nd down with 15 secs or so to go until the half. There was more incompetence taking place down on the field than we will ever know about, and you can't fault the officiating for losses.

19. Vespidie

Loc:
    Undisclosed
    Team:
    GT
    Not only do the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties look bad in the overall scheme of things, but to get multiples against an opponent such as the Citadel, or any other military academy just don't make for any warm and fuzzy feelings. That was absolutely a discipline problem and should have been rectified immediately. No ööööing excuse for it to continue.

• Like Like x 1
  20. savbandjacket

savbandjacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    A Bunker
    Team:
    GT
    I was sitting where I could see coach’s reaction to each. He got onto the individuals committing the penalties on the first two. The players then went behind bench and did pushups.

On the third, coach had the entire defense circle around him and he chewed their asses for a good period of time while the offense was on the field.

He was probably thinking this:
    Penalty 1 - individual issue
    Penalty 2 - individual issue, but wtf
    Penalty 3 - team issue

• Like Like x 4