Incoming Transfer: QB Zach Gibson

For years when we would flip a recruit from Eastern Michigan, Toledo, East Carolina, or the like, it was met with derision and criticism. Last year we were all excited about the end rusher we got from Old Dominion and now the excitement about a QB from Akron. Why? Do we expect that these type of players can help us compete against Miami, Clemson, UGA, etc?
We’re hanging onto whatever hope for good news we get.

For years when we would flip a recruit from Eastern Michigan, Toledo, East Carolina, or the like, it was met with derision and criticism. Last year we were all excited about the end rusher we got from Old Dominion and now the excitement about a QB from Akron. Why? Do we expect that these type of players can help us compete against Miami, Clemson, UGA, etc?
A lot of difference between flipping a high school recruit that only has G5 offers versus bringing in a transfer from G5 who is excelling at that level. One is an unknown commodity against college athletes altogether, versus the other is established at the G5 level. The hope comes from a thinking that they can translate that success to P5.

…and for the record, I’m excited about every recruit that commits. I assume our coaches have vetted that player. Obviously it’s more exciting when it’s clear that player is in demand among our peers as well.

This kid’s game footage looks good. His passes don’t seem to have a ton of power but still better than Yates and they are very accurate. It also looks like he has good field of vision, which is something we’re desperately lacking in qb play. He might be developed into a helluva qb with the right QB coach.

A lot of difference between flipping a high school recruit that only has G5 offers versus bringing in a transfer from G5 who is excelling at that level. One is an unknown commodity against college athletes altogether, versus the other is established at the G5 level. The hope comes from a thinking that they can translate that success to P5.

…and for the record, I’m excited about every recruit that commits. I assume our coaches have vetted that player. Obviously it’s more exciting when it’s clear that player is in demand among our peers as well.
Since the establishment of the portal, have any G5 transfers made a difference for us?

expectations seem to have changed.
I think most will be happy if he's a solid backup,his G5 record is good.
Can't forget the devastating impact of exodus to the portal Yates,Peery,Gleason,Graham,Johnson

expectations seem to have changed.
I think most will be happy if he's a solid backup,his G5 record is good.
Can't forget the devastating impact of exodus to the portal Yates,Peery,Gleason,Graham,Johnson
Yes, we desperately need a back up. It would defy the odds if your starter was able to play every single offensive play all season. You’d have to have no helmet coming off, no jammed finger or twisted ankle, no hard sacks or tackles on a run/scramble, etc. Not to mention no competition for the starter.

Yes, we desperately need a back up. It would defy the odds if your starter was able to play every single offensive play all season. You’d have to have no helmet coming off, no jammed finger or twisted ankle, no hard sacks or tackles on a run/scramble, etc. Not to mention no competition for the starter.
i agree and think we probably need another QB.I'd love to also add Baily.
In an ideal world the true frosh would play with scout team and redshirt

Start listening at about 6:50….”Jeff Sims has to be comfortable with who they bring into the QB room”. And it sure sounds like he had veto power over Bailey or at the very least doesn’t want to have to compete to keep his job.
Is this the McKenzie who's the GT insider at 247?
If true, that's at least a moral and ethical issue if not legal.
If i was on Stansbury's hotseat i'd serve this guy with a subpoena to find the truth ..
maybe there's a way to fire with cause?

Is this the McKenzie who's the GT insider at 247?
If true, that's at least a moral and ethical issue if not legal.
If i was on Stansbury's hotseat i'd serve this guy with a subpoena to find the truth ..
maybe there's a way to fire with cause?
I don’t know about that. With Collins I can understand if he gave Sims veto power because if Sims leaves Collins can go ahead and start interviewing real estate agents. I am not sold on Sims by any means but given Collins job security Sims has a lot of leverage

This kid’s game footage looks good. His passes don’t seem to have a ton of power but still better than Yates and they are very accurate. It also looks like he has good field of vision, which is something we’re desperately lacking in qb play. He might be developed into a helluva qb with the right QB coach.
How very long has it been since we have had an "accurate" passing QB!? Maybe Godsey? This is where it matters, arm strength without it is an interception machine. I don't think G5, P5, FCS or whatever impacts accuracy---ya got it or you don't. Maybe, just maybe, arm strength matters in the NFL, but even then you'd have to be more accurate than others to separate yourself.

I didn't realize athletic directors had subpoena power.
LOL
obviously something would have to be illegal about the activity for him to seek that alternative, which i wouldn't know.
i don't know the guy's credibility, but i'd sure be curious to know if true.

How very long has it been since we have had an "accurate" passing QB!? Maybe Godsey? This is where it matters, arm strength without it is an interception machine. I don't think G5, P5, FCS or whatever impacts accuracy---ya got it or you don't. Maybe, just maybe, arm strength matters in the NFL, but even then you'd have to be more accurate than others to separate yourself.
Yeah, we haven’t had a legit QB for a passing offense since Godsey. Nesbitt, Tevin, and Thomas were very good 8n the option offense so I don’t include those guys. All this talk of Sims having any say I find just laughable, and if true just shows how Collins is clueless. Sims has shown zero ability to run a passing offense at the college level. Sure, he’s a great athlete and his legs are a nice tool, but QB legs do not win games at the college level. We have to have a QB who can complete passes. Sims will now have his 3rd year to show it. I hope he does.

LOL
obviously something would have to be illegal about the activity for him to seek that alternative, which i wouldn't know.
i don't know the guy's credibility, but i'd sure be curious to know if true.

What on earth would be illegal about Collins passing on a QB because he didn't want to run Sims off? Coaches have to weigh decisions like that now that the portal exists. Not even saying it's true. Never heard it from the rivals insiders. I think it's just as likely that Bailey wants to be guaranteed a starter wherever he goes.

But Collins has broken ya'll's brains somehow.

Sure, he’s a great athlete and his legs are a nice tool, but QB legs do not win games at the college level.
Deshaun Watson, JT Barrett, Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, etc. I’ll take that level of suck next year & I swear I’ll never say another bad word about the imbecile.

Good!
Sims has lots of talent, but it would be better used at WR, RB or CB imo.
I don't even know how to respond to this. I can see questioning if he will still be the starter but I don't get the position change part at all.

Back