Incoming Transfer: QB Zach Gibson

WGAF who coached him? He could have been coached for ten straight years by Bill Walsh, and he still couldn't hit the side of a barn with a hand grenade. Struggling to think of ANY Tech QB who was a less accurate passer.
His completion %, actually got worse every year.

He was our starter in 2021. He is the presumed starter in 2022. That is why I used quotes.
If he can veto the signing of any other QB, then it is likely that he will be the 2022 starter. I wonder if Saban gave Jalen Hurts the ability to veto Tua's signing at Bama or if Dabo gave Bryant the ability to veto Lawrence's signing at Clemson.
So now we are going with he vetoed Bailey transferring here because someone tweeted?

So now we are going with he vetoed Bailey transferring here because someone tweeted?
I said "IF". I hope that was not the case. I have no idea why Bailey did not sign with us.
With our performance in 2021, no one should be assured of a starting position in 2022. We should be pursuing options at every position in the portal.

I said "IF". I hope that was not the case. I have no idea why Bailey did not sign with us.
With our performance in 2021, no one should be assured of a starting position in 2022. We should be pursuing options at every position in the portal.

I was briefly on the Bailey hype train, but I don't think the staff was as high on him as they were when he came out of high school. Given that he hasn't landed anywhere, maybe other teams feel the same, I dunno.

Bailey has signed with nobody, last I saw

Start listening at about 6:50….”Jeff Sims has to be comfortable with who they bring into the QB room”. And it sure sounds like he had veto power over Bailey or at the very least doesn’t want to have to compete to keep his job.
This confirms that we have a messed up football team. So the incumbent QB can veto any potential QB that might be better. How do you ever improve your team in that environment. Maybe this explains the transfers of the other QB's.

This confirms that we have a messed up football team. So the incumbent QB can veto any potential QB that might be better. How do you ever improve your team in that environment. Maybe this explains the transfers of the other QB's.

If true, that is really messed up. A QB should want and expect competition, and if they don't, you probably don't want them leading your team.

I have no idea if Sims had this veto power or used it, but if so, that is a bad sign for a coaching staff and a team to be extorted by current players.

I realize in the NFL, guys like Brady and others probably have earned a right to have some say so in who the team brings in, but that should not be true in college. I promise you one thing - sa(t)an is recruiting whoever he wants, both from the portal and from the high schools.

And? He doesn't know a damn thing about Sims and the QB room. He is a guy on a podcast trying to earn a buck.
This is kind of an unusual thing to just make up. Doesn’t mean it isn’t made up, I’d just be really surprised some numbskull could randomly concoct something like that without it being at least partially true or having some help from someone with an agenda.

The only thing I can think of that would be somewhat reasonable is Collins says someone on the team must sign-off on the transfer's fit into our culture, etc- just like we do with a host for HS guys on their official visits. Hopefully this is it- if not, then I'm at a loss (as is Collins)

The only thing I can think of that would be somewhat reasonable is Collins says someone on the team must sign-off on the transfer's fit into our culture, etc- just like we do with a host for HS guys on their official visits. Hopefully this is it- if not, then I'm at a loss (as is Collins)
That someone should not be the player who would have to compete with the transfer for playing time.

For years when we would flip a recruit from Eastern Michigan, Toledo, East Carolina, or the like, it was met with derision and criticism. Last year we were all excited about the end rusher we got from Old Dominion and now the excitement about a QB from Akron. Why? Do we expect that these type of players can help us compete against Miami, Clemson, UGA, etc?

Back