Inexcusable Loss?

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
9 of the OL on the roster are 6-4 or over, and 9 are 300 lbs or over. You really should look at the roster before posting.

Only 1 of our current 2020 OL recruits is over 300 lbs, and 2 are less than 6-4. Our top OL recruit is only 285lbs dripping wet.

Maybe you, SBJ, and the other "404'ers" should do a little homework before throwing out another attack against our current players.
I’m not attacking current players. I’m attacking the severe lack of depth along the lines. How can you not see that we have 0 depth along the lines when we were playing Lee both ways and are now playing walkons?

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I’m not attacking current players. I’m attacking the severe lack of depth along the lines. How can you not see that we have 0 depth along the lines when we were playing Lee both ways and are now playing walkons?
Because we can have very little depth on DL and still have 19 OL?? But the point is that the complaint we haven't recruited a sufficient number of OL, or that the OL we recruited aren't capable of playing at this level because they are too small is not a valid one.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
How many of those OL are walk-ons on each roster?
I didn't have time to look up who was a walk on, who was a preferred walk on, or who was a less than 3 star recruit; but if you feel that information is important then it is probably out there somewhere.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Because we can have very little depth on DL and still have 19 OL?? But the point is that the complaint we haven't recruited a sufficient number of OL, or that the OL we recruited aren't capable of playing at this level because they are too small is not a valid one.
Ok. So why were we playing two walkons last weekend?

aeromech

Dodd-Like
What if I told you our OL coach has been proven to take a mediocre option lineman and turn him into serviceable non-option lineman?

Would you then at least be curious why the current guys are unable to do it?
Yes, it would make me curious as to whether he was trying to do that here, or is he trying to O'leary the Patdude.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Ok. So why were we playing two walkons last weekend?
That is a good question for our $600K OLC. How many offensive linemen do you think we should have on scholarship compared to the number we have?

Edit: If you aren't attacking current players why does it matter if they are walkons?

johncu

Dodd-Like
All of my criticism has been 100% fair and they are most certainly not personal. Sycophants feel the need to defend the mediocrity, it’s why they get butthurt at the first sign of negativity regarding their glorious leader.
He was not a good custodian of the program. Recruiting good players was too hard, so he didn’t do it. Working with the AD to negotiate and sell The Hill on why it’s important to have good football was too hard, so he didn’t do it.
Adding variation to his offense was too hard, so he didn’t do it.

Leading GT to where we think it should be was too hard, so he quit.

That’s my biggest gripe, is that he was not putting his best effort for Georgia Tech. And that’s not unfounded. To me, it seems like the entire endeavor was to prove that the offense could work at D1 FBS and use our fine Institution to experiment on.

I believe GT can and will be better than we have since O’Leary left. It’s a damn travesty that it’s taken so long to find the guy that recognizes how good GT should truly be.
I'm pretty tired of arguing about this, so I'll simplify it for you. Most of what you say is at least somewhat true. That still doesn't change the fact that we won the Orange Bowl and won the ACC outright. O'Leary was a fantastic coach, and he did neither. Hell, I even think Gailey was better than most on here give him credit for, and he also did neither despite having the most talented GT team I have ever seen and a perfect storm of a weak ACC.

Was PJ a perfect custodian of the program? Of course not. We can argue all day about his flaws vs. his strengths, and you can assign whatever motivations to him that you want, but that won't change what he accomplished at Georgia Tech. Again, I don't understand why you (and several vocal others on this board) want to downplay and even mock the biggest accomplishments of GT football in the past 30 years, just because you don't like the coach.

He's gone. The new guy is here. You don't have to öööö on the old guy to prop up the new guy. If he's good as you and I both hope, his results will speak for themselves.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I'll just leave this here for you guys to chew on:

"The success against LSU came despite the lack of in-game pass protection reps for graduate transfer Parker Braun and redshirt freshman Junior Angilau, the two starting guards — both players ran triple option offenses in high school and Braun stayed in that system under Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech.

Both more than held their own blocking the mammoth interior defenders for the Tigers, including Rashard Lawrence, who passed up a chance at the NFL to return to school.

“You never know what you can do until you start to do it, right?” Beck said. “I mean, it’s just assumed that because they don’t pass the ball, that they don’t know how to pass block. That’s not true. They’re really good athletes and can move — that allows and contributes to the fact that they are good pass blockers. Both of them are. And the want to, right? These guys want to get better, want to learn, and they’re good football players. I think all of that combined has helped.”

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...fensive-line-herb-hand-sam-cosmi-parker-braun

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like

"The success against LSU came despite the lack of in-game pass protection reps for graduate transfer Parker Braun and redshirt freshman Junior Angilau, the two starting guards — both players ran triple option offenses in high school and Braun stayed in that system under Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech.

Both more than held their own blocking the mammoth interior defenders for the Tigers, including Rashard Lawrence, who passed up a chance at the NFL to return to school.

“You never know what you can do until you start to do it, right?” Beck said. “I mean, it’s just assumed that because they don’t pass the ball, that they don’t know how to pass block. That’s not true. They’re really good athletes and can move — that allows and contributes to the fact that they are good pass blockers. Both of them are. And the want to, right? These guys want to get better, want to learn, and they’re good football players. I think all of that combined has helped.”

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...fensive-line-herb-hand-sam-cosmi-parker-braun
So you're saying we just need a team of All-Americans like Braun on our OL? I agree.

18in32

Petard Hoister
It really pisses me off because they’re so close to getting it right. If they (offensive players)could just know where to go on each play, we have a shot to win games.
Can't tell if this is sarcasm. If the offensive players don't know where to go on each play, we're not "close" to getting it right. That's the most elementary part of playing offense. And an incredible slam on the current coaching staff.

User 10337

Can't tell if this is sarcasm. If the offensive players don't know where to go on each play, we're not "close" to getting it right. That's the most elementary part of playing offense. And an incredible slam on the current coaching staff.
It’s just inexperience. Comes with live game reps. Seems like they do it right like 75% of the time. Not everyone that plays is a football genius that can diagnose a defense immediately and determine on the fly what to do when ball is snapped. Especially if they’ve never learned how to properly do it before.

Now if I see the same missed assignments against Temple, might change my mind depending on circumstances.

Last edited:

User 10337

Pass blocking at guard and pass blocking at tackle are two completely different games. It’s really not hard to pass block at guard. It’s one of the easier things an OL could be asked to do now that I think about it. Your man is constrained to essentially a 3 yard or less wide area.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
Pass blocking at guard and pass blocking at tackle are two completely different games. It’s really not hard to pass block at guard. It’s one of the easier things an OL could be asked to do now that I think about it. Your man is constrained to essentially a 3 yard or less wide area.
stop throwing shade at PJ!! :rotfl:

aeromech

Dodd-Like
:facepalm:

johncu

Dodd-Like
That makes sense.

Honest question here... why did our guards get destroyed in pass protection by Citadel and USF at times?

txsting

Elite level sh*tposting
I'm not sure if i hate this thread because it's stupid, or love it because it's keeping this dumb discussion confined to a single thread.

NotTomNotPhilButGCollins

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
9 of the OL on the roster are 6-4 or over, and 9 are 300 lbs or over. You really should look at the roster before posting.

Only 1 of our current 2020 OL recruits is over 300 lbs, and 2 are less than 6-4. Our top OL recruit is only 285lbs dripping wet.

Maybe you, SBJ, and the other "404'ers" should do a little homework before throwing out another attack against our current players.
Are they carrying good weight that allows them to be explosive and quick or have they been fattened up

Look at UGA's OLs getting off the Bus and compare that to our guys on the OL, totally different body types

Guys that come out of HS at 6-4 to 6-7 and at 295+ can grow to 330+ and keep good mobility while maintaining good strength in their tendons & joints so they won't fall apart during their college careers

For example, the Morgan twins seem like they've been injured non stop since NSD

CPJ didn't put in the Xtra work recrootin wise to get the body types that would maximize GT's talent level, in many cases he settled for guys where we were their best offer and dismissed recrootin by saying, "they all come highly recommended"

CGC understands that 80% of your success as a P5 HC comes from recrootin, BTW that is an Urban Meyer theory