Is 6-16 acceptable?

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
The fans who predicted this with gusto were proven wrong by Johnson’s performance at GT. So why would we take the other aspects of their doom and gloom predictions seriously?

we had holes at TE, DLine and Tackle. Other than that we were pretty much a run of the mill football program. Our interior lineman under Johnson were some of the best in the conference.
Way to completely miss the point. For the most part people felt Paul was a good hire with the caveat that when he left we would have a major rebuul

bandman

Damn Good Rat
We should have patience while CGC attempts to make the transition.
I agree on the patience. First year and covid year - ok. Third year expect to be in range of GT norm. No patience left for me for another 3-4 win season, with the F level placekicking, stupid pre-snap penalties, etc.

I expect us to look like we know what we are doing and not a lot of just bad football. If (when) we get beat when playing smart, so be it. Physically beaten is one thing, but since our players are expected to be smart enough to graduate, they can be coached to be the smartest team in college football. We should absolutely strive and expect to be that, while we will never be the most physically gifted.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
Way to completely miss the point. For the most part people felt Paul was a good hire with the caveat that when he left we would have a major rebuul
A major rebuild is one thing. A major rebuild hand-in-hand with many red flags of poor coaching and preparedness is another entirely. There is reason for concern. There is also reason for optimism. It’s OK to be aware of both. The time for pointing at allegedly bare cupboards is over.

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
A major rebuild is one thing. A major rebuild hand-in-hand with many red flags of poor coaching and preparedness is another entirely. There is reason for concern. There is also reason for optimism. It’s OK to be aware of both. The time for pointing at allegedly bare cupboards is over.
Why is it over? Because you say so?

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
How about a major rebuild in the middle of a pandemic? We keep leaving out the fact that CGC not only had to rebuild the program, but he also had to do so while facing the major obstacles that Covid presented. And in the midst of all of that he still pulled in a top 30-25 recruiting class.

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
No, it’s because his first class is now Juniors. So by most reasonable people critiquing the staff it’s time to stop looking backwards at problems and start looking at the folks who are being paid handsomely to win football games with the players they have.
Can’t really count that class. It was small and half of it was CPJ recruits whose offers he honored.

GTCrew4b

Can’t really count that class. It was small and half of it was CPJ recruits whose offers he honored.
No you can and most do. In fact the University of Arizona just saw fit to fire Kevin Sumlin around the same time frame. So clearly people can and do critique coaches in this window. It’s completely reasonable to expect results at year 3 in fact that’s what Geoff Collins advertised coming in. All his examples were “Year 3 success/process”

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
No you can and most do. In fact the University of Arizona just saw fit to fire Kevin Sumlin around the same time frame. So clearly people can and do critique coaches in this window. It’s completely reasonable to expect results at year 3 in fact that’s what Geoff Collins advertised coming in. All his examples were “Year 3 success/process”
Didn’t say anything about expectations for year 3, my point was that the class that signs this week and in Feb is really the staff’s second class.

GTCrew4b

Didn’t say anything about expectations for year 3, my point was that the class that signs this week and in Feb is really the staff’s second class.
So your point is completely irrelevant to my point and you agree with my original premise that the time to look backwards is over. Your original statement was “Why is it over? Because you say so?”

the it in that statement was the “time to look backwards for excuses” meaning now is time for the staff to put up some results under some scrutiny.

Do you agree or disagree with that statement?

If yes, then why the original childish response.
If no, then why do you choose not to take a position on expectations for year 3?

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
So your point is completely irrelevant to my point and you agree with my original premise that the time to look backwards is over. Your original statement was “Why is it over? Because you say so?”

the it in that statement was the “time to look backwards for excuses” meaning now is time for the staff to put up some results under some scrutiny.

If no, then why do you choose not to take a position on expectations for year 3?
The comment was made against claiming that the 2019 class being juniors means that now there are no longer talent deficiencies, which is pretty arbitrary in general and not very accurate considering a big chunk of the class was recruited by someone else.

On the subject of expectations for next year, it will indeed be a 3rd year but one after the 2nd offseason of practice we'll of had after this past one got canceled. We should expect progress, but the exact amount is hard to gauge for expectation.

Olgoldandwhie

Flats Noob
No, it’s because his first class is now Juniors. So by most reasonable people critiquing the staff it’s time to stop looking backwards at problems and start looking at the folks who are being paid handsomely to win football games with the players they have.
I agree 100%. With the portal ad everything, the roster has been almost flipped. Time to see results.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
That might be true but when it comes time to play next year it won’t be mostly juniors running the show. Heavy playing time for sophomores and freshman and I expect heavy attrition of that 2019 class in this offseason and next.

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
I think 6 wins is a reasonable expectation for 2021. If we actually played an FCS and a G5 this year we could’ve got 5 this year.

expectations could be higher if our rising senior class wasn’t one of the worst in the conference.

cbee

Flats Noob
I agree 100%. With the portal ad everything, the roster has been almost flipped. Time to see results.
One would think so but the players that we have added in the portal, to date, have been pretty underwhelming on the field.

ncjacket

Dodd-Like

My point, as others have said, that first class really didn’t make any real impact on the program. A number are gone already and most were CPJ recruits or late pickups to bring in bodies. Some are solid players but the fact that there were no OL is just one example of holes in the roster caused by the late change. The sophs and grad transfers will be the main leaders on the team next year not the junior class so we are still deep into the transition.

That said, I expect to see improvement next year. I’m not one to predict records but I do expect us to be more competitive and would hope we can reach .500. FWIW my typical view is 8-4 is the cutoff for a good season. I don’t expect that next year but go into every week believing we can win.

GEETEELEE

We suck this much.
That said, I expect to see improvement next year. I’m not one to predict records but I do expect us to be more competitive and would hope we can reach .500. FWIW my typical view is 8-4 is the cutoff for a good season. I don’t expect that next year but go into every week believing we can win.
8-4 is certainly reasonable and doable, but we’ll be plagued by untimely penalties and mental errors. Most losses will be self-inflicted and terribly frustrating. It’ll take another year or two to dial in the focus and concentration on both sides of the ball to minimize these errors.

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
One would think so but the players that we have added in the portal, to date, have been pretty underwhelming on the field.
Johnson was our best OL. Clayton was banged up and injured and played half the year and still was third on the team in sacks.

I’ll be surprised if Allen isn’t a starting safety next year. Sims needs to step up and take that other CB slot.

Ezzard is hard to judge given our pass protection issues.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
There is a metric for judging college football coach performance called Program Impact or something. It throws out a coach's first two years and adds the results for the first two years they are gone. It is designed to not hammer coaches for inheriting a train wreck and give them credit for the state of the program when they leave it. It recognizes the importance of Jimmies and Joes to team performance. Not a perfect metric, but relevant to our current situation.

I looked at this for Georgia Tech, starting with Bobby Ross.

First the actual records, per Wiki.

Ross 31-26 54.4%
BL 11-22 33.3%
O'Leary 53-30 63.9%
Chan 44-33 57.1%
PJ 83-60 58.0%
Geoff 6-16 27%

Ross is clearly underrated for the job he did here, when you only look at W-L. BL clearly sucked, as he did IRL. George was good. Chan and Paul show as so-so but winners. Geoff shows worse than BL, which is nonsense.

Now for the Program Impact records.

Ross 36-21 63.2%
BL 12-21 36.4%
O'Leary 56-31 64.4%
Chan 50-28 64.1%
PJ 69-69 50.0%
Geoff 0-0 N/A

This shows Ross doing a great job, which he did, and George doing a slightly better job, which given the total body of work is not unreasonable. BL is still BL. Chan gets a boost from the outstanding young talent he left in the program. Paul gets a double whammy from inheriting outstanding young talent and leaving the cupboard bare of experienced talent when he left, which if you look at the attrition and poor performance of so many of the 2016 recruiting class in particular but other classes as well, is justified.

And it gives Geoff a clean slate, with accountability next year. Anyone who is fair would agree to that.

Temple Program Impact Record
Collins 9-11 (45.00%)