Is Dabo the worst coach in the ACC?

Shannon was the worst coach this year. He had more talent than Dabo but yet again managed to squander it.

This is not a great coaches league right now. GT, Clemson, and the U were three of the nation's biggest disappointments, up there with Texas and UGA.

I rank Beamer at the top. I believe Johnson, O'Brien, and Davis are pretty decent coaches. And, I think Jimbo is going to be very good at FSU. Fridge did a very good job at Maryland and is now out. Grobe knows football but seems to have peaked and WFU is in decline. He should have gooten out while the gettin' was good. Cutcliffe is a good coach, but how good can you be over the long haul at Duke?

Coaches at BC and UVA are yet to be very impressive. But, poor Dabo may be the worst of them all.

er, they beat us and it wasn't that close--so what does that say about our coach?

It says that their talent is better and they have a significant home field advantage. Nothing about coaching. Dabo is a dancing clown

It says that their talent is better and they have a significant home field advantage. Nothing about coaching. Dabo is a dancing clown

The roughing the kicker and the critical TO's helped them out, too.

Put Chan with the athletes of a florida or georgy or miami or FSU and he could have held his own. As much as I dislike him he was a pretty good coach, he just never had a QB to fit his system.

WTF are you smoking? How many QB's did Chan have that totally wet the bed on the field? Suggs, Bilbo, Ball, and Bennett. You're telling me you couldn't develop ONE ****ing QB in 6 years? I think Chan was a better than average coach, but not by much.

The ONLY reason Ball started as a freshman is because Chan understands football coachng contracts and he needed a reason to push out his contract to get another couple of years and make more money. Starting Ball gave him the "rebuilding years" mentality. He could care ****ing less about GT. in 6 years the mother ****er couldn't recruit a QB for his "system" or he didn't know how to develop one, or both. Take your pick but don't give me a bunch of garbage that the poor bastard didn't have a QB to fit his system.

The ONLY reason Ball started as a freshman is because Chan understands football coachng contracts and he needed a reason to push out his contract to get another couple of years and make more money. Starting Ball gave him the "rebuilding years" mentality. He could care ****ing less about GT. in 6 years the mother ****er couldn't recruit a QB for his "system" or he didn't know how to develop one, or both. Take your pick but don't give me a bunch of garbage that the poor bastard didn't have a QB to fit his system.

Pls take off the tinfoil hat BOR. Maybe CCG played RB as a freshman because he honestly thought he was the best chance for him to win. I don't think it was done in a malicious effort to extract as much money as possible out of Georgia Tech.

This is what happens when the AD listen to the fanbase and players for their favorite coach. Dabo is in over his head as a former position coach.

Imagine what would have happened to GT if we hired Mac McWhorter after GOL left for ND.

Pls take off the tinfoil hat BOR. Maybe CCG played RB as a freshman because he honestly thought he was the best chance for him to win. I don't think it was done in a malicious effort to extract as much money as possible out of Georgia Tech.

Take off the blinders coldbeer. My opinion is shared by former players and coaches from that team. I didn't just make that up.

I'm not sure about this theory,BOR.

Do you really believe RB starting his freshman year over Bilbo was a contract-juicing ploy? This seems far-fetched. How many former players/coaches did u hear this from?

WTF are you smoking? How many QB's did Chan have that totally wet the bed on the field? Suggs, Bilbo, Ball, and Bennett. You're telling me you couldn't develop ONE ****ing QB in 6 years? I think Chan was a better than average coach, but not by much.

I agree with you here BOR, Chan had a surprising inability to develop a quarterback. I found it shocking that a former NFL OC couldn't do more to either recruit or develop a QB. Chan was a better than average coach which is why he was able to stay above .500 even with the scholarship limitations he was handed by the previous coach. Stingtalk for some reason wants to rewrite history to read that Chan was 'The Worst Coach of All Time' and Reggie Ball was 'The Worst Quarterback of All Time', neither of which is true.

This is whack, consensus of former players or not. From what I saw from the stands, Ball was our best quarterback option on the team. Yes, I truly believe the other quarterbacks on the team had less to offer than Reggie Ball. Let me repeat, I don't know how/why Chan wasn't able to develop or recruit a better quarterback; but he couldn't. Chan also did very little to develop Reggie over the 4 year span, it was what it was. If a committee of former players don't think Chan could have made more money, and extended his contract longer, playing a better quarterback, then they must be really drunk.

I'm not sure about this theory,BOR.

Do you really believe RB starting his freshman year over Bilbo was a contract-juicing ploy? This seems far-fetched. How many former players/coaches did u hear this from?

First off he started over Bilbo AND Suggs. Second, I never believed this when it happened. After Chan was fired I was privy to a conversation with some former players who all believed that was the case with why Ball started as a true frosh and told me there were a couple of coaches who believed the same. A year later I heard it from a completely different source the very same thing and that person worked around the Athletic Association and was friends with some of the coaches on that team.

That's when I believed it. You just don't hear **** like that in the manner I heard it without it having some validity. I also know a few other stories of Chan that would indicate he wasn't the saint that many on The Hive gave him credit for being.

Gailey did not give two cents about Georgia Tech. He was looking out for himself and his players and that's pretty much it.

It was my opinion at the time, and still is, that CCG decided to start Ball as a true FR in the wake of the 2002 UGAg debacle and the ensuing flunkgate, in order to give himself a valid excuse to need more time to develop.

Suggs was the far better QB, and Bilbo was at least as good an athlete as Ball. I personally think it was very unfair to Ball.

It was my opinion at the time, and still is, that CCG decided to start Ball as a true FR in the wake of the 2002 UGAg debacle and the ensuing flunkgate, in order to give himself a valid excuse to need more time to develop.

Suggs was the far better QB, and Bilbo was at least as good an athlete as Ball. I personally think it was very unfair to Ball.

Yep. This was discussed a lot by the boards at the time, and then I just didn't want to believe a coach would do something that didn't give him the best chance to win. Ball's play his freshman year and the Auburn win, really validated a lot of peoples concerns over this and so the talk was hushed. But you are right, Chan started Ball to buy him time after a disastrous 2002 ending.

Suggs had a better arm; but his decision making was questionable as was his effectiveness. Suggs was no where near as good a runner as Ball and was far more likely to cause to turnover.

Bilbo was probably a better athlete, primarily due to his size; but after watching him play quarterback no way I would start him over Ball.

Gailey did not give two cents about Georgia Tech. He was looking out for himself and his players and that's pretty much it.

That's probably true of the majority of the coaches in college sports BOR. Those who care more about the university they are at are the exception. If that wasn't the case there wouldn't be concerns of CPJ leaving everytime a head coaching position comes open in the SEC.

That's probably true of the majority of the coaches in college sports BOR. Those who care more about the university they are at are the exception. If that wasn't the case there wouldn't be concerns of CPJ leaving everytime a head coaching position comes open in the SEC.

Bull****. Let's not rewrite things just so we can prop Chan up and make him sound like he did things normal. He didn't. He turned his nose up at GT's alumni on more than one occasion which was evident in the fact that he convinced Braine he should not have a radio show and he limited speaking engagements representing GT at all costs. **** Chan.

Bull****. Let's not rewrite things just so we can prop Chan up and make him sound like he did things normal. He didn't. He turned his nose up at GT's alumni on more than one occasion which was evident in the fact that he convinced Braine he should not have a radio show and he limited speaking engagements representing GT at all costs. **** Chan.

Different argument. I'm saying most college coaches care more about themselves than the schools they are at. Kiffen cares more about himself than he does about UT, Saban cares more about himself than he does LSU or MSU, O'leary cares more about himself than GT... the list goes on and on. The exceptions are Paterno, maybe Grobe, and maybe a dozen others in major college football. It is really old school for a coach to exhibit loyalty to a college. Coaches do these engagements because it is either in their contracts, or it helps with recruiting, or it impacts their careers in other ways. Most coaches don't take the time to do these engagements simply because they just love to interact with the fan base. Curry probably cares more about GT than any coach we've had since Dodd and he left because he thought it was in the best interest of who, GT or himself?

Back