Is Dabo the worst coach in the ACC?

Different argument. I'm saying most college coaches care more about themselves than the schools they are at. Kiffen cares more about himself than he does about UT, Saban cares more about himself than he does LSU or MSU, O'leary cares more about himself than GT... the list goes on and on. The exceptions are Paterno, maybe Grobe, and maybe a dozen others in major college football. It is really old school for a coach to exhibit loyalty to a college. Coaches do these engagements because it is either in their contracts, or it helps with recruiting, or it impacts their careers in other ways. Most coaches don't take the time to do these engagements simply because they just love to interact with the fan base. Curry probably cares more about GT than any coach we've had since Dodd and he left because he thought it was in the best interest of who, GT or himself?

Kiffin is a total extreme and therefore and awful example. Saban has been the whore for hire for over 10 years. Another extreme example.

I hear what you are saying, but my point is typically a coach wants to represent the school he is coaching. They seek out opportunities to plug the school. Ever mention the Naval Academy around Paul Johnson and he has nothing but admiration for the school and talks like he's still coaching there. How about Jim Tressel? Or Kirk Ferentz? How about Bobby Bowden? Chris Petersen? Urban Meyer? Hell even Spurrier speaks with admiration for both Florida and South Carolina. They also TRY to pump up the school whenever they have a chance. Chan never did that ****. Never!

Once he was presented with a chance to award a scholarship to Georgia Tech on behalf of the Savannah Alumni association and practically threw a hissy fit in not wanting to have anything to do with it at all. He said, "that's an academic scholarship. I have nothing to do with that."

I hate people who prop up Chan. Guy was a slightly better than mediocre coach. I'll give him that one, but I hated him not just for his ineptitude in the big games and against UGA, but for his attitude towards GT. It sucked donkey balls. Guy didn't give a **** about being coach at GT, he thought it was just an opportunity for him to buy his time until he got another NFL gig.

Clemson actually downgraded when they hired Dabo. Bowden was a much better coach.

Last edited:
First off he started over Bilbo AND Suggs. Second, I never believed this when it happened. After Chan was fired I was privy to a conversation with some former players who all believed that was the case with why Ball started as a true frosh and told me there were a couple of coaches who believed the same. A year later I heard it from a completely different source the very same thing and that person worked around the Athletic Association and was friends with some of the coaches on that team.

Newsflash - Former players can have stupid opinions too.

EVERYBODY wonders why Ball started for four years. Everybody wonders why Gailey couldn't find a better QB in four years or develop Ball better.

BUT, this is conspiracy hidnsight to suggest that starting Ball was part of some bizarre plan. Hell, in that first year it looked like a brilliant move!

Gailey was winning games we should not have won with that true freshman and most fans and analysts were projecting how could he would be in four years if he was that good as a true freshman.

The mystery is not why Gailey started Ball; the mystery is how he managed to actually regress in development from that good start.

Gailey is not the first coach to fall in love with some flawed QB to his own ruin. Bowden rode Rix way beyond his expiration date (admittedly Rix's raw QB talent always seemed evident.)

Whether the weird conspiracy theory is plausible or not for why Ball started early; sticking with Ball as long as he did was definitely NOT a smart move for Gailey by any stretch of the biggest conspiracy minded imagination. I think Gailey really thought Ball had potential and was too stubborn to bow to pressure to bench him.

P.S.
I do believe Suggs was a better QB at that time, but he was unpopular as well so why not develop for the future?

He was excellent at mediocrity. remember the CGE?

Not really, but I am bad at TLAs. CGE?

The rap on Chan was perpetual mediocrity. And I was one willing to stomach the truly bad from time to time with a new coach to get a chance at greatness every once in awhile. So a losing record in any given year does not bother me as long as it doesn't become a trend.

It says that their talent is better and they have a significant home field advantage. Nothing about coaching. Dabo is a dancing clown

er, they beat us and it wasn't that close--so what does that say about our coach?

Because we beat ourselves again....PJ is 3-1 with a ring against him. What does that say about our coach?

I hate people who prop up Chan. Guy was a slightly better than mediocre coach. I'll give him that one, but I hated him not just for his ineptitude in the big games and against UGA, but for his attitude towards GT. It sucked donkey balls. Guy didn't give a **** about being coach at GT, he thought it was just an opportunity for him to buy his time until he got another NFL gig.

I don't have a problem with people who have this sentiment about Chan. I do have problem with those who claim Gailey was the 'worst coach ever' and that Ball was 'the worst quarterback ever'. I don't understand the need to paint the negative extreme, not that you did.

Why do Stingtalkers feel the need to demonize/villify Reggie Ball? Reggie gave GT his best effort (unless there is a conspiracy theory about his passing ability I'm not aware of) and was ACC rookie of the year and MVP of the Champs Sports Bowl; hardly the worst quarterback we've ever seen on the flats. Reggie's worst attribute is that no one on the coaching staff ever developed his talents; which I don't see as his fault.

I don't have a problem with people who have this sentiment about Chan. I do have problem with those who claim Gailey was the 'worst coach ever' and that Ball was 'the worst quarterback ever'. I don't understand the need to paint the negative extreme, not that you did.

Why do Stingtalkers feel the need to demonize/villify Reggie Ball? Reggie gave GT his best effort (unless there is a conspiracy theory about his passing ability I'm not aware of) and was ACC rookie of the year and MVP of the Champs Sports Bowl; hardly the worst quarterback we've ever seen on the flats. Reggie's worst attribute is that no one on the coaching staff ever developed his talents; which I don't see as his fault.

Chan is not a bad coach. He is not a D1A college coach. He's an NFL coach. His mindset is very playoff dominated, that is, he plays not to lose ("just make the playoffs, and we can possibly play for the championship"), instead of playing to win ("more than 2 losses eliminates us from the BCS and any possibility of a championship"). There is a subtle, but important difference. That difference makes him a bad fit for a conference champion/BCS approach to football. If he surrounds himself with good coaches at Buffalo, and they get him decent talent, he could have a pretty good run there. He's no Belichik, but he's as good or better than half the coaches in the League, IMO.

Ball was not a bad QB. He was a bad fit for Chan's system, which relied on a QB who could make a variety of pro-style throws. Reggie did the best he could do, and in several games that was good enough to bring down the better team. He is often vilified because he was asked to play to his weakness instead of his strength. He threw the short pass well, and was good on the sprint option type plays.

We should have built an offense around these type plays with him at the helm. But this is not a pro-style offense, and Gailey (apparently) would have none of it. This is Gailey's fault, not Ball's.

Where Ball fell off was his intense desire to make the play. He often tried too hard and it resulted in mistakes and inconsistent plays that cost us games.

Reggie asked for his punishment when he was asked about the Ga game and his famours it aint nothing but a game Dog came out.That and the pass in the fifteen row in jAthens is hard to forgive to some.

Back