Is Key in over his head?

Is Key in over his head?

• Yes

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • No

Votes: 79 59.8%

• Total voters
I know I was far from the only one to oppose the Key hire, but here's my post from November 24, 2022 which shows the failure was foreseeable:
Any candidate but Key, please!

Brent Key facts:
- Bad loss to a soft Virginia team at home that cost us bowl eligibility
- Multiple bad gametime calls (two punts inside opponent's 40!)
- No excitement to him as next head coach
- No demonstrated ability to lead a program
- No demonstrated ability to recruit
- Several years of failure here while he was an assistant coach, particularly poor OL play (his position group)

The pro-Key people seem to want him because he's had marginally more success with someone else's team than them and because he's a "Tech man". Woopty do. Hiring a former player for a coaching job instead of hiring purely on merits is a dumb move that we've done before (e.g. Roof) and other schools do which often leads to failure.

"Brent did a great job for us at Alabama and was fantastic as the interim head coach for Georgia Tech this year. I know he is excited to lead his alma mater, and he will do an excellent job as the Yellow Jackets’ head coach. Brent is a very passionate coach who works tirelessly at his craft. His players love to play for him, and he does a great job of putting them in situations to be successful. Brent has a wonderful family, and we are so very happy for him to have this opportunity at Georgia Tech”

I guess he didn't mention the time of day when asked though.
That reads like a letter of recommendation a teacher would write for a student they don’t remember.

Was I in over my head freshman year? Hell yes. Did I spend many nights crying and wishing I was back home? Maybe. Am I still waking up in the middle of the night from nightmares of missing midterms and finals?

Too early to tell - he has a lot of rebuilding to do and already matched GC3's win total from every season.

Was I in over my head freshman year? Hell yes. Did I spend many nights crying and wishing I was back home? Maybe. Am I still waking up in the middle of the night from nightmares of missing midterms and finals?
So you're saying if Key continues to follow your path, we should all buckle up and prepare our anuses.

Like Billy Curry? 7 seasons on the Flats and only 1 bowl season? Is this what GOL means?

In fairness, in todays everybody at .500 goes to a bowl world Curry’s teams would have qualified for a bowl in ‘82, ‘84, ‘85, and ‘86.

Your anuses should always be buckled up and prepared.
Always am
41xC6pqhqRL.jpg

I think Key would have benefitted immensely from a stint at a G5 school for 3-5 years to develop his mettle as a HC. His tenure as OC at UCF was disastrous. His recommendation to hire Chip Long was questionable to be polite. His decision to bring back Marco Coleman infuriates me. That being said, he would've been able to leverage his accomplishments as an interim coach into a G5 HC role. I wasn't happy with Willie Fritz, but that's where we are as an opening and we'll be even less attractive next time around, so we best all root for Key to turn things around.
I think that you & other Tech fans are going to be very disappointed with giving Key another year after this season. Learning on the job is not acceptable in this situation! Key does not have the ability to manage and change what has to happen to make this team competitive. Giving Key 2 or 3 more years will really be a disaster.

I think that you & other Tech fans are going to be very disappointed with giving Key another year after this season. Learning on the job is not acceptable in this situation! Key does not have the ability to manage and change what has to happen to make this team competitive. Giving Key 2 or 3 more years will really be a disaster.

Guess we will see. He's not going anywhere for at least 2 years

I do believe he needs more time to figure things out. I initially came into the season saying "bowl eligibility or bust" until I saw Roddy Jones's take us, especially when he mentioned the turnovers we got last season and how hard that is to keep up. The Syracuse and uva games will tell us a lot more about the team and place of the program. Bowl eligibility ain't happenin' this season. I am glad we seemed to have gotten lucky and got a pretty good qb out of the transfer portal.

When you listen to him he's still technical in much of his comments. You'd expect that from a position coach. What he's having to learn is oversee everything at a 50,000 foot level and manage the various areas and the PR part. I still think it was a good move to change the defensive coaching around with what he had versus firing everyone and starting from scratch with someone new in the middle of the year. He did the best with what he had. Now the defensive lapses are another conversation but like we all know, this is his first gig as a HC.

The damage from firing an alumni coach after 1 year is worse than next season being an abject failure. The same can likely be said after year 2. If we want viable coaching options next time we hire, then we need to support our current coaching staff and do everything we can to make them successful by virtue of that support:
1. financially - it needs to be clear that the funding is there for staff, recruiting, NIL, etc. Our offer needs to match our expectations. If we want to be a Top 25 program, we need Top 25 funding.
2. institutionally - school+GTAA needs to be a cohesive unit, things need to be run professionally rather than by a select few donors (broaden the financial support burden to reduce influence), facilities need to be respectable, support staff out the wazoo.
3 - personally - alumni networks for job opportunities, fanbase needs to be visible in daily life, stop being a ööööing weirdo.

I do believe he needs more time to figure things out. I initially came into the season saying "bowl eligibility or bust" until I saw Roddy Jones's take us, especially when he mentioned the turnovers we got last season and how hard that is to keep up. The Syracuse and uva games will tell us a lot more about the team and place of the program. Bowl eligibility ain't happenin' this season. I am glad we seemed to have gotten lucky and got a pretty good qb out of the transfer portal.
How’s bowl eligibility not happening when we’re beating UNC, Clemson and uga?

Back