It’s official.

Willie Fritz is a good football coach. It may not feel splashy, but we will be an improved football team with him in the building. If we can get recruiting bumped up he will get the most out of the players and get us turned around.

You guys are so fickle. BOB wins at Bama because the players are better you say. Chadwell runs the option and we can't have that, lets hire Key who was part of the problem we are in now (who everyone ööööing hated before GC was fired). So they hire an experienced head coach that wins at a place that is hard to win at and you all cry like babies.

Willie Fritz is a good football coach. It may not feel splashy, but we will be an improved football team with him in the building. If we can get recruiting bumped up he will get the most out of the players and get us turned around.

Times have changed. Sending grandpa out on the recruiting trail isn’t going to do much

It's really difficult level two things. First, Tulane was just 2-10 last year. Second, Tech hired the OC from that 2-10 team.

If this is the hire, Batt is spitting in the face of the last regime. Essentially saying "you had the right school, wrong guy."

A bit of a headscratcher for me. Fritz was nowhere on my list but I can't say I hate the idea of a tenured coach like this. It's just... the record isn't spectacular. Almost seems like Batt decided this guy deserved a chance someday for P5 and it may as well be him who takes that chance.

It's really difficult level two things. First, Tulane was just 2-10 last year. Second, Tech hired the OC from that 2-10 team.

If this is the hire, Batt is spitting in the face of the last regime. Essentially saying "you had the right school, wrong guy."

A bit of a headscratcher for me. Fritz was nowhere on my list but I can't say I hate the idea of a tenured coach like this. It's just... the record isn't spectacular. Almost seems like Batt decided this guy deserved a chance someday for P5 and it may as well be him who takes that chance.
Fritz was basically coaching at the gates of hell at Tulane. That has to be part of the consideration.

Some would say that previous year hire was not the greatest, maybe all that could be got for a coach that was next best thing to dead man walking. The last regime deserves whatever spit is available.

This seems to be a big FU to our "big" donors, which could be a huge mistake. I understand J wants to get his guy, but you are going to have to explain to a new donor base why they need to pony up money for a mediocre at best football coach when you could have had a guy who bleeds white and gold and was already turning the program and culture around. Just a head scratcher.
Mediocre? Hardly, his overall record is about what Bobby Dodd compiled in wins & losses he exceeds Dodd in total wins & total losses by roughly 30+ games on each side of the ledger. Has buily winners where schools were struggling.

Some would say that previous year hire was not the greatest, maybe all that could be got for a coach that was next best thing to dead man walking. The last regime deserves whatever spit is available.
I just hope that's not the reason to hire him.

It's hard to know what the temperature on coming to Tech is. Who was asked and who was interested? So long as they exhausted all avenues, I'll take it. Things can't be worse than they were. It's not splashy but maybe that's for the best. (Given that my hope was Mullen, I clearly wasn't hoping for splash or system offenses.)

I just hope that's not the reason to hire him.

It's hard to know what the temperature on coming to Tech is. Who was asked and who was interested? So long as they exhausted all avenues, I'll take it. Things can't be worse than they were. It's not splashy but maybe that's for the best. (Given that my hope was Mullen, I clearly wasn't hoping for splash or system offenses.)
I'm not sure Chip Long would be the reason we considered Fritz. Like, Fritz wouldn't of been involved last year, he wasn't going to come here as an OC. Or do you mean the part about the previous regime?

I'm not sure Chip Long would be the reason we considered Fritz. Like, Fritz wouldn't of been involved last year, he wasn't going to come here as an OC. Or do you mean the part about the previous regime?
Previous regime. But that's an important thing to remember irregardless of who was OC. Fritz, despite his texure as a coach, longevity in college football, and slow climb to P5 from FCS, wasn't even a thought just one year ago.

Back