It’s the day after

I'm still on the Lane Train, but I wouldn't bigcry about Venables.
0fc.gif

two thirds of the season remain ..I still expect to win 6 more games this. My goodness yesterday we played one of the top 3 teams in the country, before this game we were in every game we played prior & had a chance to win. I still like our team & coach. All this talk of changing the head coach is ridiculous in my opinion.
Glad that you have woken from your comma of the last 4 years...FYI we are less than mediocre.

I will never be apathetic. I will watch every game that is televised. What I won't be doing - and I haven't done it in three years - is buying season tickets. I will go to games when the opponent is good or the weather is pleasant - and in both case, tickets will be either given to me or offered at or below face value. In other words, I'm a Tech grad and big fan, but my personal demand is way down. I will never not care, but I will gradually become a fan that only pays to see us play when it's convenient.

I will never be apathetic. I will watch every game that is televised. What I won't be doing - and I haven't done it in three years - is buying season tickets. I will go to games when the opponent is good or the weather is pleasant - and in both case, tickets will be either given to me or offered at or below face value. In other words, I'm a Tech grad and big fan, but my personal demand is way down. I will never not care, but I will gradually become a fan that only pays to see us play when it's convenient.
'a big fan' ≠ 'pays to see us play when it's convenient'

You decided not to renew after 2014? Why?

The stadium yesterday was as apathetic as I've seen it. There was too much orange there, even in the season ticket sections. And although we admittedly didn't have much to cheer, the Tech fans were abnormally quiet and seemed resigned to our fate from the start. I'm as guilty as anyone, I really don't hate Clemson enough considering how they've treated us like a doormat the last 4-5 years.
Funny you should say that -a graphic on TV said that until now, Clemson had NEVER beaten us 4 times in a row. As in Never, ever, ever.

Funny you should say that -a graphic on TV said that until now, Clemson had NEVER beaten us 4 times in a row. As in Never, ever, ever.

That was the aflac trivia question, and it was about having a coach which has done that. Dabo is indeed the first Clemson coach to best us consecutively 4 times, but the school already has such a mark, from 93 to 96.

Huge fan

Focusing on the expansion of the triple option SCAM. In 2008 we were told CPJ's offense was virtually limitless. The first year we could only install a teeny weeny fraction of the offense due to time constraints and not having the right kind of players at critical positions. Give it time. The playbook has so many variations, so much innovation. Think Hawaii and the run and gun, think Southern and championships, Tracy Ham, and Adrian Petersen. Think Navy beating Notre Dame. I have seen good offensive output by this offense, but I have never seen anything past the basic vanilla core plays. And even those have been lacking execution lately. Anybody see Army-Oklahoma yesterday?

I'm on board with this. I was expecting a more varied version of the 3/o than we've gotten ala Hawaii of old.

I'm biased towards sticking it out and I love the option offense. My biggest criticism of cpj is that the thing he has focused on when criticizing our d is the complexity, yet our ol has consistently struggled with what we're doing but we havent seemed to simplify except in spots. We occasionally will switch to belly or called reads but i wonder if a switch to zone based blocking would simplify things and reduce mistakes.

I think a good bit of the variation we did see in the past was due to bohannon, and I think getting more multiple and more rns would help recruiting. I'd like to see the ab spread more to open up the box and the seams, spreading out the d.

I really didn't expect to win, but thought we could have done better, than what was shown yesterday.

Lane couldn't succeed at southern cal. What makes you think he'd do well here?

Lane had been a college head coach for all of a year when he set foot on the USC campus, and they had just been hit with NCAA sanctions, too. And he went 8-5 his first year and 10-2 his second, despite that. The end of it was a 7-6 season and a being 3-2(!) the next one. They fired him a couple games after the sanctions expired (for losing to a team that would go on to win 10 games including 3 other ranked foes, in a game where they gave away 4 turnovers). This will be his ninth year now in the upper ranks of college, two of which he spent maturing under Saban. His FAU results speak for themselves in the win column, in the offensive stats, and in recruiting. I am pretty sure his FAU team this year would give us a game.

The dude just got his shots too early in his career to take them properly, IMO. If you look at what he brings to the table, though, he's now made his mistakes and got his experience, he's seen how Saban runs things (and called a record setting offense for him, too) and what a couple of the top destinations in the sport look like, and he's clearly matured a little personally as well, since he seems to finally be weary of the constant celebrity humiliation he received at the center of the sport. He's running a fun, wide open offense that people clearly want to play in, he's recruiting his ass off, and he's building a good program down at FAU right now essentially from scratch. It won't be long before this guy gets another shot at the P5 level, and I think just about everyone who didn't pull the trigger on him is going to be kicking themselves.

Back