It’s the day after

Lane had been a college head coach for all of a year when he set foot on the USC campus, and they had just been hit with NCAA sanctions, too. And he went 8-5 his first year and 10-2 his second, despite that. The end of it was a 7-6 season and a being 3-2(!) the next one. They fired him a couple games after the sanctions expired (for losing to a team that would go on to win 10 games including 3 other ranked foes, in a game where they gave away 4 turnovers). This will be his ninth year now in the upper ranks of college, two of which he spent maturing under Saban. His FAU results speak for themselves in the win column, in the offensive stats, and in recruiting. I am pretty sure his FAU team this year would give us a game.

The dude just got his shots too early in his career to take them properly, IMO. If you look at what he brings to the table, though, he's now made his mistakes and got his experience, he's seen how Saban runs things (and called a record setting offense for him, too) and what a couple of the top destinations in the sport look like, and he's clearly matured a little personally as well, since he seems to finally be weary of the constant celebrity humiliation he received at the center of the sport. He's running a fun, wide open offense that people clearly want to play in, he's recruiting his ass off, and he's building a good program down at FAU right now essentially from scratch. It won't be long before this guy gets another shot at the P5 level, and I think just about everyone who didn't pull the trigger on him is going to be kicking themselves.
537.gif

Lane had been a college head coach for all of a year when he set foot on the USC campus, and they had just been hit with NCAA sanctions, too. And he went 8-5 his first year and 10-2 his second, despite that. The end of it was a 7-6 season and a being 3-2(!) the next one. They fired him a couple games after the sanctions expired (for losing to a team that would go on to win 10 games including 3 other ranked foes, in a game where they gave away 4 turnovers). This will be his ninth year now in the upper ranks of college, two of which he spent maturing under Saban. His FAU results speak for themselves in the win column, in the offensive stats, and in recruiting. I am pretty sure his FAU team this year would give us a game.

The dude just got his shots too early in his career to take them properly, IMO. If you look at what he brings to the table, though, he's now made his mistakes and got his experience, he's seen how Saban runs things (and called a record setting offense for him, too) and what a couple of the top destinations in the sport look like, and he's clearly matured a little personally as well, since he seems to finally be weary of the constant celebrity humiliation he received at the center of the sport. He's running a fun, wide open offense that people clearly want to play in, he's recruiting his ass off, and he's building a good program down at FAU right now essentially from scratch. It won't be long before this guy gets another shot at the P5 level, and I think just about everyone who didn't pull the trigger on him is going to be kicking themselves.
You are so right, if we overlook him he could be at UNC or FSU and he would win

CPJ's contract has a better bonus for graduation rates than winning the conference.

And zero incentive for beating ugag.

Very arrogant and stupid people running the school. And they will run the school into the ground and most have no concept of how that will happen.

That was the aflac trivia question, and it was about having a coach which has done that. Dabo is indeed the first Clemson coach to best us consecutively 4 times, but the school already has such a mark, from 93 to 96.
But for many, many years Clempsen came to Atlanta every year. I was in the stands when they beat us for the first time in 22 years. That was enjoyable.

And he operates his own Twitter feed. We wouldn't have to rely on @notpauljohnson anymore.

EDIT: In all seriousness, I wouldn't be interested in Kiffin unless he could convince me that his personal life is settled down. No one's ever accused CPJ of chasing co-eds.

I can get on board with that. Gotta think even with our scholastic restrictions Lane would recruit his ass off.

And he operates his own Twitter feed. We wouldn't have to rely on @notpauljohnson anymore.

EDIT: In all seriousness, I wouldn't be interested in Kiffin unless he could convince me that his personal life is settled down. No one's ever accused CPJ of chasing co-eds.

Turbo-meh. He's a single dude with millions of dollars. I would expect him to chase co-eds. As long as he's not doing anything illegal, all I care about is that he wins football games.

Turbo-meh. He's a single dude with millions of dollars. I would expect him to chase co-eds. As long as he's not doing anything illegal, all I care about is that he wins football games.
Seriously, as long as they're legal and not working in the AD, who gives a hot öööö? Plus the local radio stations will start talking about GT again.

Why do you think he wouldn't give us the UT treatment?

Why do you think he wouldn't give us the UT treatment?

For the same reason he took the FAU job instead of just retiring from coaching with his millions and doing something else with his life after he and Saban had a parting of ways. I think he's more concerned at this point with proving he's not a disgrace to his dad's name than he is with being at the glamorous top of the sport.

For the same reason he took the FAU job instead of just retiring from coaching with his millions and doing something else with his life after he and Saban had a parting of ways. I think he's more concerned at this point with proving he's not a disgrace to his dad's name than he is with being at the glamorous top of the sport.
Maybe.

I still think he jumps ship the minute a higher profile job comes alone. Obviously his contract should contain severe penalties for not serving out his term.

Of course, if he were to make GT a perennial champion, that would certainly prove he's no disgrace.

I was a skeptic, but I am ready to board the Lane train. We need to get people talking about us for something other than cut blocks and calculus. If he jumps ship on us, at least someone will be paying us buyout money for once.

- Get a big time name that kids want to play for
- Shop around to boosters to get him the money and staff he needs
- ???
- Profit

When he leaves in 3 years, do it again.

Maybe.

I still think he jumps ship the minute a higher profile job comes alone. Obviously his contract should contain severe penalties for not serving out his term.

Of course, if he were to make GT a perennial champion, that would certainly prove he's no disgrace.

I honestly don't attach the same premium others seem to in regards to the potential longevity of any particular coach here at GT. We don't look at a recruit and say "nah, he'll leave for the NFL in 3 years, we'd rather have a 5th year senior." Well, we probably do. But we shouldn't. Same way for coaches, IMO. Bring me a guy who will do 3 years of good stuff before moving up, versus a guy who will fill the seat for a decade.

Back