It's Orange Bowl or nothing

Deserving or not, that's the dumbest rule. "Congrats 6-6 team who didn't make a conf championship - you get to go to a bowl. Other 6-6 team who made the championship - no bowl for you."

ha ha! Season from hell! Lose to MTSU, fight back to go to the ACCCG only to Pyrrhicly end the bowl streak by some brand new technicality, get blown out by UGA, then watch ND and UGA play in the National Championship game!!! I wasn't very religious but there must be someone up there that hates us this much!

Here is the section of the NCAA postseason rulebook on bowl eligibility:

An eligible team is defined as one that has won a number of games against Football Bowl Subdivision opponents that is equal to or greater than the number of its overall losses. [Exception: Each year, a FBS institution may count one victory against a Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) opponent that has averaged 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of grants-in-aid per year in FCS over a rolling two-year period. However, The Football Issues Committee may approve a waiver of the 90 percent requirement to permit a Football Bowl Subdivision institution to count a victory against a Football Championship Subdivision opponent toward meeting the definition of a “deserving team,” if a unique or catastrophic situation affects the Football Championship Subdivision institution‟s ability to average 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of football grants-in-aid per year during a rolling two-year period.]

If a bowl has one or more conferences/institutions unable to meet their contractual commitments and if there are no other remaining bowl-eligible teams, NCAA staff will provide a list of team that bowl management may consider in order in the following pools:

First Pool: - Those that finish 6-6 but are not usually bowl eligible because the team has a win against an FCS team that does not meet the necessary financial aid requirements.
Second Pool: - Those that have a 6-6 record but beat two FCS teams.
Third Pool: - Those that finished with a 6-7 record, with their seventh loss being in a conference championship game,
Fourth Pool: - Allow a team that played 13 games, but finished with a 6-7 record.
Fifth Pool: - Allow a team that is in the second year of reclassifying to FBS football and has at least a 6-6 record.
Sixth Pool: - Any of the top 5 APR teams with a 5-7 record.

During its August 2012 meeting, the NCAA Board of Directors adopted a policy that a bowl may be allowed to avail itself of these extra pools of teams one time over a four-year period and that this special provision sunset after four years n order to encourage bowls and institutions/conferences to avoid over-commitment.

Have to like the "n order to encourage bowls" typo in an official NCAA document.

The bolded sentence above seems clear though. 6-6 teams have to be exhausted before the "third pool" can be selected.

Stupid rule is stupid. What makes it even stupider is that teams with two FCS wins get picked before a 6-7 team with one FCS win. If it goes down to the second pool before us, then I would be really pissed.

if you are 6-6 you played 12 games and played .500

if you get another game, then you should win. if not, youre out. if you go to the championship game and lose, then you just had your bowl

give another team a chance

actually, i bet they decided this on statistical analysis of bowl revenue based on teams traveling (Tech fans) after losing vs team traveling after not losing (Rice fans)

We should refuse to play the ACCCG just to protest this stupid and backwards rule. A regular season 6-6 division champ should be considered over a regular season 6-6 division loser.

We didn't win crap. :hsughcry:

Yes Rice definitely deserves it more than us.

Our wins: Presby, UVA, BC, MD, UNC, Duke

Rice's wins: Kansas, UTSA, Southern Miss, Tulane, SMU,
UTEP

Sagarin Predictor before today had us #53 and them #91.

It is what it is, I guess, and there's no use bigcrying over it. I'm more angry about the bowl streak ending and not getting the practice time.

Here is the section of the NCAA postseason rulebook on bowl eligibility:

Have to like the "n order to encourage bowls" typo in an official NCAA document.

The bolded sentence above seems clear though. 6-6 teams have to be exhausted before the "third pool" can be selected.

Stupid rule is stupid. What makes it even stupider is that teams with two FCS wins get picked before a 6-7 team with one FCS win. If it goes down to the second pool before us, then I would be really pissed.

It's stupid, but the ACC could push one of our bowls to take advantage of the:

"During its August 2012 meeting, the NCAA Board of Directors adopted a policy that a bowl may be allowed to avail itself of these extra pools of teams one time over a four-year period and that this special provision sunset after four years n order to encourage bowls and institutions/conferences to avoid over-commitment. "

We should also be telling the ACC that we aren't going to play in their championship game unless they guarantee a waiver.

if you get another game, then you should win. if not, youre out. if you go to the championship game and lose, then you just had your bowl

actually, i bet they decided this on statistical analysis of bowl revenue based on teams traveling (Tech fans) after losing vs team traveling after not losing (Rice fans)

There is some logic to this (although I know you're being sarcastic), which is why I said I understood why schools playing Hawaii should be below regular 6-6 schools.

But this is not a 13th game we scheduled. It's a conference championship that was earned/lucked into. 6-7 schools who lost a conference championship should have been put into the main bowl-eligible pool as long as the FCS win qualified (and 1st and 2nd pool with FCS wins in those categories).

What makes it especially Kafkaesque is that if Miami didn't self-impose, we would have been fine.

Give another team a chance at the conference championship? That's not how it works. A conference championship game does not equate to a bowl.

It's stupid, but the ACC could push one of our bowls to take advantage of the:

"During its August 2012 meeting, the NCAA Board of Directors adopted a policy that a bowl may be allowed to avail itself of these extra pools of teams one time over a four-year period and that this special provision sunset after four years n order to encourage bowls and institutions/conferences to avoid over-commitment. "

We should also be telling the ACC that we aren't going to play in their championship game unless they guarantee a waiver.

Unfortunately that's not a waiver as I read it. It says that bowls can't pick from the non-bowl-eligible pools more than once in four years. That doesn't really make sense to me because they may be forced to pick from the pools more than once per four years as other bowls pick up all the bowl-eligible schools.

The only hope may be some sort of extraordinary retroactive NCAA action to make an exception for GT.

Back