It's Orange Bowl or nothing

It doesn't make sense for a school to be punished for another team's NCAA violations. We should protest this if we lose to FSU.

Whatever...somehow...we win this game I bet.....sig this....

Unfortunately that's not a waiver as I read it. It says that bowls can't pick from the non-bowl-eligible pools more than once in four years. That doesn't really make sense to me because they may be forced to pick from the pools more than once per four years as other bowls pick up all the bowl-eligible schools.

The only hope may be some sort of extraordinary retroactive NCAA action to make an exception for GT.

Yes, I read it again. Here's a good explanation.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jerry-palm/20618572

Now, here's another way the NCAA could let us in. Central Florida appealed their bowl ban and the NCAA is expected to rule in January, letting them go for this year. All they have to do is rule on the appeal or UCF self-ban if they lose the CUSA championship game next weekend. A quick call from the NCAA warning them that if they don't accept the ban this year, could lead to a multiple year ban might help.

They don't get two weeks, game is next saturday. FSU is going down.

!!!! You are right !!!! I pride myself in being optimistic about Tech, but I dropped the ball on this one!! I need to get my ---- mind rite! FSU will be massacred!!

I do believe our acting AD and conference office should be as aggressive as possible on our behalf so that we are not prohibited from a bowl game because we had to play an extra game against a very good FSU team.

What makes it especially Kafkaesque is that if Miami didn't self-impose, we would have been fine.

Yeah, and Miami self-imposing effectively takes two ACC teams out of bowls (assuming we lose).

If we beat Miami we would have won the division outright and had enough wins that this wouldn't be an issue. Or, if Miami didn't self-impose, we're 6-6 and this is a non-issue. Since I don't see beating UGA as a realistic possibility in the near future, Miami is the #1 team I'm hoping we beat next year.

Yes, I read it again. Here's a good explanation.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jerry-palm/20618572

Now, here's another way the NCAA could let us in. Central Florida appealed their bowl ban and the NCAA is expected to rule in January, letting them go for this year. All they have to do is rule on the appeal or UCF self-ban if they lose the CUSA championship game next weekend. A quick call from the NCAA warning them that if they don't accept the ban this year, could lead to a multiple year ban might help.

Well, we would also need Pittsburgh to lose to USF as well as Cincinnati to beat UConn. Pittsburgh is very unlikely to lose.

Oh yeah, here's another 6-6 team bowl-eligible instead of us: Central Michigan.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2117/central-michigan-chippewas

Their wins? SE Missouri St., Iowa, Akron, E. Michigan, Miami of Ohio and UMass. Sagarin ranking of 141.

Ugh. The last few years, we have been really, really, really, really screwed by the NCAA.

Just figured out the solution to our problem:

The "bowl streak" shall now be referred to as a "postseason streak".

I stand corrected, but couldn't one read the NCAA ruling language to be the bowl CAN select a team that meets that criteria - not HAS to?

How can one game mean the difference between a BCS bowl and no bowl at all? That's a fundamental flaw in the way the system is setup.

I stand corrected, but couldn't one read the NCAA ruling language to be the bowl CAN select a team that meets that criteria - not HAS to?

No, I looked over the language many times and it says that IF there are no more bowl-eligible teams, then the bowl MAY pick from the pools in the order given.

If a bowl has one or more conferences/institutions unable to meet their contractual commitments and if there are no other remaining bowl-eligible teams, NCAA staff will provide a list of team that bowl management may consider in order in the following pools:

Interesting tidbit from doing research on this, if there were a lot of FBS losses to FCS schools and it went to the last pool and GT went 5-7, GT would be one of the five top APR teams that could be selected. Miami is also one of the five somehow and the other three are small private schools, meaning we would get selected first out of that pool.

This whole thing also reminds of Bowden's last game at FSU, where magically FSU bypassed the selection criteria and ended up in the Gator Bowl. So maybe something could happen after all to allow GT to be selected at 6-7.

No, I looked over the language many times and it says that IF there are no more bowl-eligible teams, then the bowl MAY pick from the pools in the order given.

Interesting tidbit from doing research on this, if there were a lot of FBS losses to FCS schools and it went to the last pool and GT went 5-7, GT would be one of the five top APR teams that could be selected. Miami is also one of the five somehow and the other three are small private schools, meaning we would get selected first out of that pool.

This whole thing also reminds of Bowden's last game at FSU, where magically FSU bypassed the selection criteria and ended up in the Gator Bowl. So maybe something could happen after all to allow GT to be selected at 6-7.

Interesting. This is so bizzare to me because I thought the NCAA has absolutely no ties to bowl games.

does anyone really think we deserve a bowl game with a losing record?

If so, we just need to drop football and put all the $ into BB or go to the ga state conference.

Oh dear God in Heaven, I forgot. What will that do to the value of all the nerd diplomas?

If so, we just need to drop football and put all the $ into BB or go to the ga state conference.

Oh dear God in Heaven, I forgot. What will that do to the value of all the nerd diplomas?

3015062728_6b27f9a6ae.jpg

So we would deserve at 6-6 if Miami didn't self-impose, but we don't at 6-7?

Put down the anti-gold or anti-CPJ glasses, or whatever you're seeing everything through. It takes a lot of self-hatred to not realize how bizarre this circumstance is for us.

So...

if Tech wins vs FSU- Tech goes to OB; FSU goes to another bowl game.
if Tech loses vs FSU- FSU goes to OB; Tech goes to no bowl game.

how does this make any sense? how does FSU go to another bowl and we don't? Doesn't add up.

Miami didn't ---- us. Last week, y'all were jizzing your pants hoping that Miami would self-impose, because "we deserve to go the acc championship". Today we got ass-raped and most of you lost illusions of grandeur, and see beating fsu as a highly improbable outcome. And realized that we're not going bowling when that happens.

We ----ed ourselves. ---- the bowl streak, I'd rather keep my honor than keep begging for championship games and bowl games. What's a bowl streak if you keep losing anyway???

Back