Jahmyr Gibbs

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
Not as much of a whack as you would think. 247 has re-evaluated him and he is listed as our 3rd highest recruit right now. Losing him would drop our projected team score from 202.53 to 196.86. That would drop us from 25th to 30th and we still have more recruits we hope to sign.. so likely we could still easily finish in the top 25. On Rivals, we rank 22 but Gibbs has not been re-evaluated yet. He is listed as a 5.7 3-star. Losing him would drop our point total from 1591 to 1501. We would still be in 24th before adding anybody else.
Well, that right there is why I'm still a waffle house man.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Looked at 247's team calculator...

If we lost Gibbs, shows our projected team score of 196.86 (bumps us down to 29th)
If we lost Gibbs and picked up Jayson Jones, it's a 205.05 (still 25th)
If we keep Gibbs and get Jones, it's 210.17 (puts us at 22nd all the way ahead of Stanford)

Some of those would likely pass us again though with more room in their classes
If we lose Gibbs and add Jayson Jones and Jalen Harrell, we are up to 207.63 and in 24th place ahead of Kentucky. Add Nate McCollum and Khatavian Franks to that we are at 210.82 (22nd ahead of Stanford).
Add William Anderson (longshot but it's possible and he's teammate to Nate McCollum) and we are at 220.15 in 20th place.

None of that is counting Javier Morton, Rashad Battle, or Desmond Tisdol, all of whom are highly rated and could end up in this class or replace some I've listed above. If CGC can close like he did last year, we should finish with a strong class.

covingtonjacket

Knowledge superspreader
For recruiting to be where it needs to be, we will have some factories trying to poach our commits. Having one win doesn't help us retain guys who are getting OSU/Bama offers. Keeping them will get easier with more winning in the future. It does show we are going after the right guys.

Even if we lose some, it sure beats having a bunch of recruits no one is trying to flip.

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
Every school has kids that flip. If you expect Collins to close on everyone you will be disappointed. Alabama is still considered the most prestigious football school so it might be a while before we beat out them regularly.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
I like the fact that we were in on him early. Shows that our guys know how to evaluate talent. It's also much harder to flip somebody when you come in late on them. I know it's much easier for the factories to do that, but us having a relationship with him for much longer should help.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Seems kinda crazy to seriously consider Bama when they have 2 other RBs. Or are they planning on unrecruiting one of those guys?

AlaGold

Dodd-Like
GC is going to have to be able to" sell ice to Eskimos" if he keeps this class together or improves.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
If we lose Gibbs and add Jayson Jones and Jalen Harrell, we are up to 207.63 and in 24th place ahead of Kentucky. Add Nate McCollum and Khatavian Franks to that we are at 210.82 (22nd ahead of Stanford).
Add William Anderson (longshot but it's possible and he's teammate to Nate McCollum) and we are at 220.15 in 20th place.

None of that is counting Javier Morton, Rashad Battle, or Desmond Tisdol, all of whom are highly rated and could end up in this class or replace some I've listed above. If CGC can close like he did last year, we should finish with a strong class.
We might be using different calculators, my numbers show different using

https://247sports.com/college/georgia-tech/Season/2020-Football/Commits/Preview/

It's showing me 211.36 dropping Gibbs and adding Jones/Harrell. Regardless, liking the names you're throwing out there!

texstinger

Dodd-Like
Folks best become accustomed to us having to fight to keep our recruits instead of nobody else coming after them.

And we will be going after other teams big boy recruits.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
I'm down with that, but if we end up with mid 50s recruiting I'm not going to sit with "at least were competing with bama now". If this kid leaves, that's a whack to our recruiting, where do we go to recover it?
Eh, this isn't basketball. Recruiting rankings aren't that heavily dependent upon any one player.

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
Just remember that as soon as you sign your name, to Nick Saban you're soybeans.

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
The thing to note here is this isn’t unusual. We will get who we get and the only way up is to work up. Even then this is the game moving forward. Hope we get this kid and the staff keeps our class together/adds a few more.

BuzzFeitenSystem

It’s Raining BigCrys
Can you tell me who he will be poaching from?
Look at the end of 2019

got Jamious from my NC state

ahmarean brown had early offer from bama, chose us over Maryland, Iowa state and Minnesota

sylvain yondjouen committed to and visited Arizona

stole Michael Lockhart from miss st and North Carolina

and took another kid from Arkansas OLB

Etc etc

AmpuTECHture

Drain Lake Powell
Our need at RB isn't that big right now. Gibbs would be a great player for us, but our needs on the lines are much bigger, so we can afford to lose gib s much more than other positions.