Jamious Griffin gone…

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I liked Gibbs, Dwyer was better. I also believe losing Mills several years back had a higher impact on GT football.
I think it was really the combo of losing Mills and Marcus Marshall at the same time. Then again, Benson stepped in a played really well as the dive back.

This thread already has more pages than Jamious Griffen had carries this year (7). Only 14 more pages till we cover the yards he gained.
Yeah I don't see how he gets to a better situation by transferring. He has like maybe 4 minutes of play tape and less than 500 yards in 3 years. Hopefully he gets what he's looking for, but it just seems like a really poor judgement call.

I have no doubts that we can win 3 without Gibbs. The thing is we're hoping to win more than 3 next year, and that will be tougher to do without Gibbs.

I disagree that a player like Gibbs is easily replaceable. Even with a bad O-line and questionable play calling he was able to have a high level of production.

Put him in a better situation (which again, hopefully we'll have next year) and he'll be able to impact games in a way that few others can. He is a special player.
Griffin came from a very talented Rome team. He had lots of support. Gibbs carried that Dalton team to a 7-4 record. They've won 5 games total in the two years since he left.

You claimed "no ability to use the portal to help make the team viable" and I refuted it with two named players that were invaluable last season. You then move the goalposts to "yeah but look at all these misses" like I'm supposed to accept that as reasoning for your stupid hyperbole instead of just admitting you were wrong.

You double down on the stupid and claim two transfer players as "misses" in the context of trying to "help make the team viable" for what I can only assume was limited playing time, with injury and mental health issues as the reasons respectively, and somehow NEED to attribute blame to Collins for things he has no control over. Tell me, dumbass, did you consider the recruitment of Bryce Gowdy a "miss" by Collins too?

Quit making up öööö just because you don't like the coach. He doesn't need lies when there's enough truth to criticize him.
I stand by my statement. I will not though, just because we disagree, resort to calling you names and acting like a middle schooler. Grow up and show some class.

Not a good look for Collins when Griffin stood to get a ton of PT next year.
You might conclude from the defections that maybe the offensive players had an allegiance to Patenaude. And perhaps little faith in CBK and Tashard Choice.

McGowan, warm bodies on the OL instead of running fewer players out, Cimaglia just off the top of my head

Spin away, though
I'll give you McGowan. He was pretty good. He wasn't a difference maker but he was good. The OL ... I still see in my nightmares guys running by Cochran and Johnson. Maybe warm bodies would have been just as good. With Cimaglia, the XP right off the stick against BC still literally echoes in my head.
And let's look at Ezzard (not much before hit portal - again), Clayton, and we still haven't seen much out of White, Harris, Allen, Sims or Watson.

I'll give you McGowan. He was pretty good. He wasn't a difference maker but he was good. The OL ... I still see in my nightmares guys running by Cochran and Johnson. Maybe warm bodies would have been just as good. With Cimaglia, the XP right off the stick against BC still literally echoes in my head.
And let's look at Ezzard (not much before hit portal - again), Clayton, and we still haven't seen much out of White, Harris, Allen, Sims or Watson.
If you look at what we had in 19 and 20, Cimaglia has been gold for us.
2019: 3/8 FG, 23/24 XP
2020: 3/8 FG, 26/29 XP
Cimaglia this year: 11/16 FG, 31/33 XP

Dude is 14th on Tech's career FGM list since '76, and 16th in career points for our kickers over the same time period...in one season here.

It takes some real mental gymnastics to think this wasn't a slam dunk transfer.

"no ability to use the portal to help make the team viable"

That missed XP is probably the biggest negative play of the season. It seems like that play stilled whatever air we had left in our sails. We looked awful.

When Gibbs muffed the kickoff against UGAg, I thought "well, here it goes"

If you look at what we had in 19 and 20, Cimaglia has been gold for us.
2019: 3/8 FG, 23/24 XP
2020: 3/8 FG, 26/29 XP
Cimaglia this year: 11/16 FG, 31/33 XP

Dude is 14th on Tech's career FGM list since '76, and 16th in career points for our kickers over the same time period...in one season here.

It takes some real mental gymnastics to not think this was a slam dunk transfer.
Good kickers don't choke with the game on the line. The snap and touch were good on the missed XP against BC that would have tied the game. For some inexplicable reason, likely the pressure of the situation, Cimaglia started forward too soon and pushed the kick. His approach looked awkward.

We were just playing BC. It wasn't a championship winning kick. Should have been routine.

That missed XP is probably the biggest negative play of the season. It seems like that play stilled whatever air we had left in our sails. We looked awful.

Yeah, we thought pretty much the same thing
In fact, I think that’s when we started drinking

I stand by my statement. I will not though, just because we disagree, resort to calling you names and acting like a middle schooler. Grow up and show some class.
Bro, do you even Stingtalk?

I got nothing against Cimaglia but 14th on FGM since 1976 does not strike me as a stand out stat. That's 45 years. Good kickers tend to be multi-year starters. Even if you assume that our kickers have averaged only 2.5 years of regular kicking apiece (which seems low to me, but I don't know), that would still mean something like 18 kickers in that time period.

I got nothing against Cimaglia but 14th on FGM since 1976 does not strike me as a stand out stat. That's 45 years. Good kickers tend to be multi-year starters. Even if you assume that our kickers have averaged only 2.5 years of regular kicking apiece (which seems low to me, but I don't know), that would still mean something like 18 kickers in that time period.
I mean, we platooned two different pairs of kickers in '19 and '20 alone. I don't know how many we've had in the 45 years but given the kicking woes directly leading to losses like the Citadel I don't think he meets the criteria of not helping "make the team viable" as was accused.

Similar to, was it ‘19 or ‘17, where vs dwags we took a knee on the opening kickoff right at the goal line and it took the refs 10 minutes to figure out it was a touchback.

Are we seriously arguing about a KICKER as proof of CGC’s transfer portal magic?

On the one hand, I agree.

On the other hand, how long has it been since our kicking game has been anything other than absolute garbage? Five years? I'll definitely put having a decent kicking game in the win column.

4-9 BAY-BEE!!!! I see the progress now!

On the one hand, I agree.

On the other hand, how long has it been since our kicking game has been anything other than absolute garbage? Five years? I'll definitely put having a decent kicking game in the win column.

4-9 BAY-BEE!!!! I see the progress now!
:bigcry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back