Jamious Griffin gone…

Status
Not open for further replies.
That always happens and other folks will get yards. Whoever our RB is will get yards. Whoever our QB is will get yards. Players always come and go. Besides, none of that matters until we get a better offensive line. We won 3 without Gibbs and we won 3 with Gibbs even while getting all those yards. The offensive line is the engine the other positions are easily replaceable especially at our level.

I have no doubts that we can win 3 without Gibbs. The thing is we're hoping to win more than 3 next year, and that will be tougher to do without Gibbs.

I disagree that a player like Gibbs is easily replaceable. Even with a bad O-line and questionable play calling he was able to have a high level of production.

Put him in a better situation (which again, hopefully we'll have next year) and he'll be able to impact games in a way that few others can. He is a special player.

Gibbs and Mason were ahead of him on the depth chart. They red shirted him this year so he didn’t play. He was going to be the guy with Smith next year. He should have maintained the course. His opportunity was right in front of him.
So was a crappy OL.

Choice transferred here. If he's honest with the kids, he would probably be telling them that the best path is the one that feels right to them and not to feel obligated to stay anywhere.
That would be bad advice. Acting on feelings is not a good idea for 18-20 year olds.

The "Gibbs didn't matter" argument is not persuasive. Good luck with that.
Please show me where I ever said “Gibbs didn’t matter”. I said someone will gain those yards. It may be a combination of players but I guarantee we will have more yards on offense in 2022 than 2021. We’ve had a lot of good players over the years and I never saw when one left we had 0 yards at that position. I love Gibbs and will enjoy watching him in the future. But the whole idea that we lost 90% of yards from last year is going to doom us is laughable. Someone will take those yards.

Please show me where I ever said “Gibbs didn’t matter”. I said someone will gain those yards. It may be a combination of players but I guarantee we will have more yards on offense in 2022 than 2021. We’ve had a lot of good players over the years and I never saw when one left we had 0 yards at that position. I love Gibbs and will enjoy watching him in the future. But the whole idea that we lost 90% of yards from last year is going to doom us is laughable. Someone will take those yards.
May want to save that guarantee until after we get some OL transfers in. Tho I spose is yards is the only metric and the defense doesn't improve it could still be the case just from more possessions.

Yes, that whole idea is laughable, which is why nobody said it. We are just talking about whether we are being impacted negatively by our departures more than other teams. It's a metric to quantify the discussion. Seems like we were talking past each other.

I still think the portal will be great for us. Maybe even this year. I really hope GC is ready to go hard in the paint there.
So far he has shown no ability to use the portal to help make the team viable. Not sure why anyone would think that would change.

So far he has shown no ability to use the portal to help make the team viable. Not sure why anyone would think that would change.
McGowan, warm bodies on the OL instead of running fewer players out, Cimaglia just off the top of my head

Spin away, though

I will let Bill Connely crunch those numbers, but between just Gibbs transferring and McGowan running out of eligibility, our returning production numbers are likely to look pretty bad.

How many points lost from the ND and UGA games are we losing? None of this matters. We weren't a competitive team with them. We won't be a competitive team without them. Unless, of course, the goal of the program is to be competitive with Duke and Western Carolina next year. It's all about creating margin though per the used car salesman.

How many points lost from the ND and UGA games are we losing? None of this matters. We weren't a competitive team with them. We won't be a competitive team without them. Unless, of course, the goal of the program is to be competitive with Duke and Western Carolina next year. It's all about creating margin though per the used car salesman.
We actually were competitive in some of our games. We might be uncompetitive in even more games next year without these talented, experienced players, than we would been if they stayed.

Why would it be controversial that losing talented players is bad for a program? These are strange discussions ITT. But these are strange times for GT football.

We were competitive in 75 percent of our games this season. It's easy to forget that because we got manhandled in our last two games of the season, against two of the top 5 teams in the country.

Take this team and improve it a moderate amount and it's a bowl team. That is not necessarily true if you lose some of the team's best playmakers.

Last edited:
I think the point is there will be fewer yards to take without our best RBs. There were many, many times Gibbs turned what should have been a -3 yd play into no gain or a little gain just by his quickness, etc.

McGowan, warm bodies on the OL instead of running fewer players out, Cimaglia just off the top of my head

Spin away, though
Look at the misses. Without calling names, the OL from Vandy, Miss. State, WR from Miami that has already left, the edge rusher from Old Dominion and Florida, etc. No matter who you name, we are still winning 3 games a year. So, if that is using the portal to our advantage, we ARE in trouble.

Me reading this thread:
B78A7A2F-52C3-4481-AE94-78DA8AC1E38A.jpeg

The quantity of transfers totally misses the point. It's the quality that matters – and the degree to which those transfers were contributing or were likely to contribute to your team. On that one we've got to be leading the field.
No we don't.

As much as I liked Gibbs, Dwyer was better. I also believe losing Mills several years back had a higher impact on GT football.
We were competitive in 75 percent of our games this season. It's easy to forget that because we got manhandled in our last two games of the season, against two of the top 5 teams in the country.

Take this team and improve it a moderate amount and it's a bowl team. That is not necessarily true if you lose some of the team's best playmakers.

We weren’t outclassed this season. We were pretty much even with most the schedule. The fact that we were 2-7 against evenly matched teams is why we needed to shake up the staff.

Look at the misses. Without calling names, the OL from Vandy, Miss. State, WR from Miami that has already left, the edge rusher from Old Dominion and Florida, etc. No matter who you name, we are still winning 3 games a year. So, if that is using the portal to our advantage, we ARE in trouble.
You claimed "no ability to use the portal to help make the team viable" and I refuted it with two named players that were invaluable last season. You then move the goalposts to "yeah but look at all these misses" like I'm supposed to accept that as reasoning for your stupid hyperbole instead of just admitting you were wrong.

You double down on the stupid and claim two transfer players as "misses" in the context of trying to "help make the team viable" for what I can only assume was limited playing time, with injury and mental health issues as the reasons respectively, and somehow NEED to attribute blame to Collins for things he has no control over. Tell me, dumbass, did you consider the recruitment of Bryce Gowdy a "miss" by Collins too?

Quit making up öööö just because you don't like the coach. He doesn't need lies when there's enough truth to criticize him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back