Jamious Griffin gone…

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do wonder what the incidence rate of players entering the portal and ending up nowhere. I'd imagine it is relatively common. You would think the deterrent of potentially losing out on the scholarship and academic support would tamper the portal fever eventually.

I do wonder what the incidence rate of players entering the portal and ending up nowhere. I'd imagine it is relatively common. You would think the deterrent of potentially losing out on the scholarship and academic support would tamper the portal fever eventually.

I would think it's fairly low for P5 players -- I bet they can almost always find a spot on a G5 team if push comes to shove. As to whether that's an improvement or not...guess that's a case-by-case thing.

Coming from GT, it would almost certainly be a downgrade academically, and football-wise you're probably playing in front of fewer fans and around less talent, though you may be winning more.

But 6k yards in HS and NFL baybeeee....

Yates played the game correctly. Get GT degree. Transfer for PT and master's

I would think it's fairly low for P5 players -- I bet they can almost always find a spot on a G5 team if push comes to shove. As to whether that's an improvement or not...guess that's a case-by-case thing.

Coming from GT, it would almost certainly be a downgrade academically, and football-wise you're probably playing in front of fewer fans and around less talent, though you may be winning more.
https://www.si.com/college/2021/02/02/college-football-recruiting-transfer-portal-covid

The kid's getting bad advice from dad. Stay one more year and get the GT degree, get the PT you've been waiting for, then if it still doesn't work, you can transfer and have 2 years to play somewhere else AND a GT degree. They are letting sour grapes dictate this all because he couldn't pass Mason and Gibbs on the depth chart. He was also injured which didn't help. I don't know what they want, but it's like they want the position and carries to just be given to him. He could've gotten more reps this year if we had been in position to give them to him. We didn't have any big wins where we could get a lot of guys reps, and he did get in a good bit the last couple. Plus after he got hurt early in the season, they decided to redshirt him anyway to save his eligibility. Dad is making some poor decisions here.

However, portal numbers can be skewed. As many as one-third of those players are walk-ons, according to an SI examination of the portal. As of last week, only 964 of the 1,500 FBS players in the portal garnered a recruiting ranking from 247Sports (a vast majority of the other 500 are walk-ons).

The 964 players are split between those transferring from the Power 5 (557 players) and those transferring from the Group of Five (407 players). In a striking statistic, of the 299 Power 5 players who have committed to a new school, 60% took a step down in level, their next destination a Group of Five or FCS school.

So just under half of P5 portal entrants were still looking as of Feb. It would be interesting to see how it all ended up shaking out, and if the percentages change as programs learn how to play the portal.

Either way, it is definitely apparent that transferring out of a P5 school can definitely result in a step down football-wise. And the risk of losing a scholarship completely os certainly there.

hey Stansberry, waiting til after signing day to fire the clown isn't looking so smart ,is it?
Here we go again
1638884160868.gif

There has to be a reason he wasn't getting carries.

1) injuries
2) better players ahead of him
3) we hoped he would stay and redshirt.

If it was 1 or 2, that is on him. If it was 3, that is on the staff for not making it clear what the plan was

Mostly 2, with a bit of 1. His dad tweeted that he was disrespected by the lack of carries, so basically he wasn't going to stay, regardless of his outlook going into next year. Thing is, Gibbs, Mason and Smith were all clearly better and Smith didn't get enough carries himself, so I am not sure who he thought he should be taking touches from. I wish him luck, but he is unlikely to find a better situation, playing time-wise at a comparable P5 school. And if he doesn't find what he is looking for, I doubt Choice would be keen on taking him back with the way it played out. This is a classic case of football dads gone wrong.

Last edited:
One thing that will be interesting is what happens when these kids transfer and still don’t get the PT they desire. I think the transfer waiver is a single use. I guess eventually you get to lay in the bed you’ve made.

Also, if he felt disrespected and doesn’t want to be here then I don’t want him here. The last thing we need is some sour grapes cancer in the locker room. The only way this actually works next year is if these players accept the challenge and rally around each other.

FWIW, here are the team's leading the portal cup.

What are we sitting at? 5'ish? Obviously, it hit one position group hard in our case. But it seems to me they all left for their own reasons.

Only 5th in portal exits?
I don't want to see the progress

Why do some of you continue to say the transfer portal will be the death of college football? That doesn’t make sense at all. Every team will go into next August with close to 85 scholarship players. Some faces might be different but does it matter if it’s a freshman who is new from high school or a 19 year old who came from another college? Students transfer into and out of Georgia Tech every semester and has the academic side died? I root for the name on the front of the jersey. Players have always come and gone. Some stayed 5 years, some 4, and some 3. Now 2 and 1 have been introduced. So what. We will have 3 QB’s next year and 4 RB’s. And GT benefits from the portal way more than we have been hurt. The only 2 players I’ve been upset we lost have been Gibbs and Curtis Ryans. Meanwhile, if we pick up Bailey and the 2 Olinemen, and the DLineman then I’d say it’s a net positive.

Per Ken Sugiura we have 8 (not counting Griffin) in the portal.

More than I thought because I had totally forgotten Huff and Ezzard who announced during the season. Still not a disastrous number and Gibbs appears to be the only major loss so far.

The quantity of transfers totally misses the point. It's the quality that matters – and the degree to which those transfers were contributing or were likely to contribute to your team. On that one we've got to be leading the field.

I dunno how many guys have transferred out but we can sign up to 7 additional players by ESD to balance out transfers that have left

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back