Jamious Griffin gone…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark my words. In T -365 days you will read officially “Todd Stansbury Gone”.

I don’t know anything about the guy. He seems like a very nice man. But he has clearly put George Tech’s football in the absolute worst situation we have ever been in. And that’s saying quite a damn bit.
I don’t know about that. All other sports are doing well. Someone posted how under his watch the athletic programs are doing the best as a whole in just about forever. Yes, football has been a mess. But, I think we’ll win enough games next year that the coach will be gone but the AD will be kept. The world is not ending. In this craptastic conference we should win 5 games just by showing up and getting a bounce or two. There is no way we wont improve because we were just that bad.

What the hell are you talking about?
sorry i don't recall which thread or article but there's an article somewhere, i think it was a big donor who said that they thought they were going to be able to keep the recruiting class together (luckily only 1 has flipped) which lead me to speculate they could be waiting til after signing day before firing.(maybe that was before the stansbury letter, i don't recall)

The quantity of transfers totally misses the point. It's the quality that matters – and the degree to which those transfers were contributing or were likely to contribute to your team. On that one we've got to be leading the field.

Depends on how you look at it and how heavily you weigh losing Gibbs. Gibbs is a generational talent and leader in All Purpose Yards, so no doubt that is a massive loss. Yates is a loss, but backup QBs transferring is par for the course. Griffin in a good player, but not someone who can't be replaced with comparable talent pretty easily. The rest were the typical transfers who played sparingly, if at all.

As great as Gibbs is, he didn't win us games. If you add 3 O-linemen and shore that unit up, you may be in a position to win more games in spite of losing Gibbs.

The quantity of transfers totally misses the point. It's the quality that matters – and the degree to which those transfers were contributing or were likely to contribute to your team. On that one we've got to be leading the field.

This is something we really can quantify. Between Gibbs Mason and Yates we have to be losing very close to 90% of our rushing yards. Probably some enormous proportion of our all purpose yards in just those three as well.

Depends on how you look at it and how heavily you weigh losing Gibbs. Gibbs is a generational talent and leader in All Purpose Yards, so no doubt that is a massive loss. Yates is a loss, but backup QBs transferring is par for the course. Griffin in a good player, but not someone who can't be replaced with comparable talent pretty easily. The rest were the typical transfers who played sparingly, if at all.

As great as Gibbs is, he didn't win us games. If you add 3 O-linemen and shore that unit up, you may be in a position to win more games in spite of losing Gibbs.

What percentage of points scored this year for GT is in the portal? I’m not sure if that would include Mason’s numbers.

The portal, essentially free agency for 18-21 year olds, will be part of the downfall of college football. Players should be allowed to go, but something needs to change. I understand there are over 2,000 names in the portal but only a fraction of available scholarships. Unless many go to the FCS or Div. 3, they aren't going to necessarily be in a better position searching for the green grass. I suppose they see the top guys moving around and it working out like Joe Burrow or Kenneth Walker, but 99% aren't Joe Burrow. Ironically, the portal and it's overcrowding may help a poor coach like Collins, if they can pick up some players other programs have developed we can possibly win another three games.

I think the portal stays as it makes roster management a lot easier for coaches. Just nudge the kids to transfer and you can take more risks on recruiting and poach kids you missed.

Last edited:
This is a tough one to swallow. I recall him as the big RB pickup, a sign that we had moved on from the PJ era of recruiting and weren't losing to the big boys for our top targets. I hope things turn out well for him.

Amazing how one really bad hire by our AD has the makings of destroying our football program! It's old news, but I didn't like the hire from day one, I just felt that TS didn't take enough time to do a thorough search for a new football coach. There seemed to be some urgency in making a quick hire without taking any time to find a good and proven Head Coach. Many schools use a service to help in the selection of new coaching hires, does GT do the same? Perhaps TS would be better served if he only worked in the area of fund raising for the GTAA and an AD with an athletic background was hired to handle the athletic responsibilities required of an AD. Or perhaps it is a moot point since the GTAA is strapped for funds.

This is something we really can quantify. Between Gibbs Mason and Yates we have to be losing very close to 90% of our rushing yards. Probably some enormous proportion of our all purpose yards in just those three as well.
That always happens and other folks will get yards. Whoever our RB is will get yards. Whoever our QB is will get yards. Players always come and go. Besides, none of that matters until we get a better offensive line. We won 3 without Gibbs and we won 3 with Gibbs even while getting all those yards. The offensive line is the engine the other positions are easily replaceable especially at our level.

I will let Bill Connely crunch those numbers, but between just Gibbs transferring and McGowan running out of eligibility, our returning production numbers are likely to look pretty bad.

McGowan is ready to go to the NFL. Mason is a maybe there. I’m not concerned about those types of guys. But Gibbs can’t go to the NFL. And Griffin was lined up to get PT. Those are more concerning.

That always happens and other folks will get yards. Whoever our RB is will get yards. Whoever our QB is will get yards. Players always come and go. Besides, none of that matters until we get a better offensive line. We won 3 without Gibbs and we won 3 with Gibbs even while getting all those yards. The offensive line is the engine the other positions are easily replaceable especially at our level.

The "Gibbs didn't matter" argument is not persuasive. Good luck with that.

Did you just say their position coach should be recommending they leave? That he is advising them that transferring is the correct path for them? That's what you post implies.

Choice transferred here. If he's honest with the kids, he would probably be telling them that the best path is the one that feels right to them and not to feel obligated to stay anywhere.

Choice transferred here. If he's honest with the kids, he would probably be telling them that the best path is the one that feels right to them and not to feel obligated to stay anywhere.
Obviously Choice was passed by Adrian Peterson on the depth chart and that was a good reason for him to transfer... but he also transferred because his mother got sick and he wanted to be home to be closer to her. Don't know if that was a pre-transfer-portal pretense or not – but supposedly it wasn't just about playing time.

Obviously Choice was passed by Adrian Peterson on the depth chart and that was a good reason for him to transfer... but he also transferred because his mother got sick and he wanted to be home to be closer to her. Don't know if that was a pre-transfer-portal pretense or not – but supposedly it wasn't just about playing time.
From what I recall at the time, the medical reason was the only one I heard about when he transferred.

As much as I liked Gibbs, Dwyer was better. I also believe losing Mills several years back had a higher impact on GT football.

Gibbs transfer is only "low impact" because GT football is already a crater and there isn't much left that could be negatively impacted. Gibbs in better years is the kind of player who makes a good season a great one. We say silly things like "we can win 3 games with him or without him", but the goal is to win more than 3 and his departure really hurts our chances of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back