Jeremi Hall Visiting USF

If there is even a possibility that the kid is too dumb to get into USF, then it's better we cut him loose now than have him flunk out later after we've invested time into coaching him.

So we only have 2 OL recruits in this class now? Devine and Griffin?

That ain't gonna get it done.

If there is even a possibility that the kid is too dumb to get into USF, then it's better we cut him loose now than have him flunk out later after we've invested time into coaching him.

So we only have 2 OL recruits in this class now? Devine and Griffin?

That ain't gonna get it done.

Eerily have the transfer form Auburn becoming eligible and the transfer from Maryland will be coming in as well.

Is everyone legally required to tell anyone who disagrees with them to be a fan of some other team?

Is it necessary to always retaliate with "leave the fanbase" when someone brings up things you don't agree with? Dumbest thing I ever heard.

And I went to Tech.

When the person says, "I'm so sick of our crap program." I think it may be warranted.

What the öööö is wrong with HS teachers these days. GIVE THE KID THE GRADES

Surely this is a joke. Education (let alone high school) is not, or rather should not be, activity filled babysitting until college.

Other teams do whatever it takes to win. We don't.

And I have thanked God for that so many times just in the past few years. Let me count the ways:

1. Miami players having abortions paid for
  2. Penn State covering up and enabling a child molester
  3. Auburn paying Cam Newton $200k
  4. UNC having not just a joke major but a fake major
  5. Oregon paying "talent evaluators" to get players
  6. Arkansas hiring Bobby Petrino with no regard to the fact that he's complete scum; just win (and öööö your staff) baby
  7. Ohio State knowingly ignoring cheating, having to fire their legendary coach, and then working a sham of a deal to let their players play in the bowl
  8. U[sic]GA getting its tenth player of the offseason arrested
  9. And I'm sure I'm forgetting others

Could we be doing more to win, or doing a better job? Sure, although I think we're far from the only program who can say that.

Should we be doing "whatever it takes to win", as many other teams do? I'd rather shut down the football program.

This comment is whats wrong with education these days.

And college football. I didn't even get into listing the majors that players at most schools take, which in some cases are more embarrassing than anything given that the biggest justification for not paying players is that they're getting an education.

Both this kid and Devine are big out of shape children. I think Devine at least has the grades to get in but keeping him eligible will be up to him which concerns me. I never understood the hype around these two cats. If Devine will come in and commit himself to getting in shape both physically and mentally he has a chance to be a player we can get something out of down the road. Hall was always marginal academically and would have been a constant liability to stay eligible so it's best for him and for us that he goes in a different direction.

Now a know some smart ass will tell me I am stupid for criticizing one of our fine young recruits but to be honest half these guys never do crap and our so called fan base gets all in a tizzy whenever one of them de-commits or for some reason does not make it to NSD. Remember in the real world you get paid on production not potential (except for sports). It's like survival of the fittest. A few will make it but most will only show up and participate on the practice squad.

Devine weighs about 370 lbs. and plays a lot of video games. If he does not get his mind on football and push away from the table, he will have a short stay at Tech as well. I hope he can accomplish that and live up to his potential but he has a long ways to go.

Go Jackets!

Last edited:
The funny thing is that this thread debate, much like most, is based on partial information.

What we don't know? Why the kid didn't qualify.

Was is hs grades or SAT scores?
Did he miss qualifying by a long shot or just barely?
Is the not qualifying a result of not trying, not caring, or by busting his arse and just not being smart enough?
What role, if any, did the "Hill" have in this?
How much of a longshot was he to qualify from the get go?
Did our coaches offer him to get his friend to commit knowing full well he probably wouldn't qualify?

Without knowing all these key bits of information, guys swear on their mother's honor something has to be wrong with "the program." Ah, the joys of Stingtalk.....

And I have thanked God for that so many times just in the past few years. Let me count the ways:

1. Miami players having abortions paid for
  2. Penn State covering up and enabling a child molester
  3. Auburn paying Cam Newton $200k
  4. UNC having not just a joke major but a fake major
  5. Oregon paying "talent evaluators" to get players
  6. Arkansas hiring Bobby Petrino with no regard to the fact that he's complete scum; just win (and öööö your staff) baby
  7. Ohio State knowingly ignoring cheating, having to fire their legendary coach, and then working a sham of a deal to let their players play in the bowl
  8. U[sic]GA getting its tenth player of the offseason arrested
  9. And I'm sure I'm forgetting others

Yet we still seem to get our share of slaps by the NCAA

Guys look. I am not advocating giving an exception to a kid who barely qualifies for the NCAA minimum. I am advocating giving an exception to a kid who is borderline to tech standard (which could be the case for hall i dont' think anyone knows). For instance, the kid who went to UNC, low and behold, is fine. Still eligible that we know probably would have done ok here.

The fact is this. For those saying he didn't qualify for USF, well USF uses NCAA min. So if he didn't qualify there, he won't anywhere.

And if this is the case, that this kid was SUCH A BIG ? then I am SHOCKED Tech offered and recruited him. SHOCKED. We don't do that. Normally we recruit and offer kids right on our Line, well above NCAA standards and if they are borderline or need another class try to get it done their Sr year.

If it is true, this kid is barely meeting NCAA standards, then someone at Tech really screwed up, we used him as leverage to Devine knowing we were taking Bigham as a transfer, OR the kid CLEARLY meets NCAA mins, was in fact borderline and tech just won't exception him. We will know by where he lands. My guess is he lands at a BCS School.

Finally, the administrators for AA admission personally review and approve every SA. The coaches have little pull here today. If you don't think the "hill" which is a bit of a mythical name, doesn't determine the outcome of recruits you are crazy. They do. In fact they review the transcripts as juniors and weed out players then, so we avoid what we end up having almost every year....Hall, Gnoknde (sp?) etc....They work hard, they really do. They work on SA admissions and do what they can, but our standards are high.

Just like, once you are in at Tech as a SA, you may qualify to play football per NCAA standards based on your grades, but can still be below tech standard and have to sit out. LOL; and this is AFTER you are in school. So its not hard enough to get in, but once you are in, you also have to live above NCAA minimums to be eligible to play on the field. Why? I have no clue. Tech is hard enough as it is.

Again its yearly self probation. You can say I complain, whatever, I guess I do, I just want simple changes to allow us to compete better not overhaul a system.

We are taking about low hanging fruit that doesn't affect curriculum, the school etc...3-4 exceptions a year.

Guys look. I am not advocating giving an exception to a kid who barely qualifies for the NCAA minimum.

Then I'm confused as to what this post meant:

if he qualified ncaa wise but not tech wise.....this is a classic example of why a potential exception system can be used. another classic example of also why we are a .500 program.

In a thread where we're talking about a guy who might not even qualify for USF, as noted in the OP.

Also:

For instance, the kid who went to UNC, low and behold, is fine. Still eligible that we know probably would have done ok here.
UNC, where in the very recent past you not only didn't have to show up to class to stay eligible, there literally was no class to show up to? I'm not sure academic "success" for athletes there exactly maps to academic success for athletes at Tech. In fact, UNC would probably be one of the last schools I would use to judge whether a player would have academic success at Tech.

Yet we still seem to get our share of slaps by the NCAA

Yeah, but ours always seem to be borne out of stupidity, not a systematic attempt to cheat. Which I guess just makes the situation more depressing.

Then I'm confused as to what this post meant:

In a thread where we're talking about a guy who might not even qualify for USF, as noted in the OP.

Also:

UNC, where in the very recent past you not only didn't have to show up to class to stay eligible, there literally was no class to show up to? I'm not sure academic "success" for athletes there exactly maps to academic success for athletes at Tech. In fact, UNC would probably be one of the last schools I would use to judge whether a player would have academic success at Tech.

Yeah, but ours always seem to be borne out of stupidity, not a systematic attempt to cheat. Which I guess just makes the situation more depressing.

Andrew, Hall not qualifying for USF is speculation not fact. Myself, knowing how tech extends offers and recruits, i would find it hard to believe we did this for hall, knowing he may not even meet NCAA minimums....so my point is, he not qualifying for USF is a shock and may only be a result of 1 - not being true or 2 - he flat out failed his senior year...or is failing. Otherwise, I am putting my bet that he lands at a BCS school and qualified. Just like the UNC dude....

As far as UNC. Yes I am sure now after the cat is out of the bag with that school, athletes are still getting a free ride. I am sure there is no oversite and its the same. Think about this for a minute. You can be darn sure those SA's at UNC are being applied and working their tail off now. You think for one minute that president would allow this stuff to continue??? Come on man. If he does then there will be a penn state size hammer coming down on them in the future. I fully understand UNC has easier degrees to get SA's through. I get that. I am stating though, just because you don't meet tech admission standards today, it doesn't mean if you did go here you would struggle. It just doesn't.

If admissions were such a science and predictable, then none of our normal high SAT high GPA students would fail out. None. Yet they do constantly. At a high clip. I would argue higher than the typical football SA. It comes back to the kid too!!

Andrew, Hall not qualifying for USF is speculation not fact. Myself, knowing how tech extends offers and recruits, i would find it hard to believe we did this for hall, knowing he may not even meet NCAA minimums....so my point is, he not qualifying for USF is a shock and may only be a result of 1 - not being true or 2 - he flat out failed his senior year...or is failing. Otherwise, I am putting my bet that he lands at a BCS school and qualified. Just like the UNC dude....

As far as UNC. Yes I am sure now after the cat is out of the bag with that school, athletes are still getting a free ride. I am sure there is no oversite and its the same. Think about this for a minute. You can be darn sure those SA's at UNC are being applied and working their tail off now. You think for one minute that president would allow this stuff to continue??? Come on man. If he does then there will be a penn state size hammer coming down on them in the future. I fully understand UNC has easier degrees to get SA's through. I get that. I am stating though, just because you don't meet tech admission standards today, it doesn't mean if you did go here you would struggle. It just doesn't.

If admissions were such a science and predictable, then none of our normal high SAT high GPA students would fail out. None. Yet they do constantly. At a high clip. I would argue higher than the typical football SA. It comes back to the kid too!!

As a UNC student and alum I can say without bias that UNC is a joke for athletes. Built in cheating with athletic tutoring, and easy joke majors. As bad as UGA or worse (was probably worse before they shut down the african american studies crap).

EDIT:
And UNC alum are pissed about the whole deal. But not pissed enough to give up their competitive edge in basketball. Duke does the same things for basketball at least.

So y'all didn't enjoy it when our (7?) exceptions whipped UGA's arse in 2008? Y'all sure do jerkoff to those memories quite a bit.

But go ahead and act like you're better than everyone else and see where that gets ya'.

So y'all didn't enjoy it when our (7?) exceptions whipped UGA's arse in 2008? Y'all sure do jerkoff to those memories quite a bit.

But go ahead and act like you're better than everyone else and see where that gets ya'.

How do you know who were exceptions? I'm pretty sure it'd be a FERPA violation for you to have that information, unless each of the excepted S-A's publicized it, or if you just had the figure and not the player names.

I haven't seen a single post in this thread that expressed that sentiment. There is no one who is playing a holier-than-thou card in terms of not giving this kid an exception.

Giving a kid an exception won't help us whip U[sic]GA's ass if he's not going to be able to stay eligible and given that he may not even meet NCAA minimums, it's extremely unlikely that he would.

Good post 33, especially this part:
Again its yearly self probation. You can say I complain, whatever, I guess I do, I just want simple changes to allow us to compete better not overhaul a system.

We are taking about low hanging fruit that doesn't affect curriculum, the school etc...3-4 exceptions a year.

Our geek squad element who never played a down who thinks the games are equivalent to a Saturday afternoon movie will never get this.

if he qualified ncaa wise but not tech wise.....this is a classic example of why a potential exception system can be used. another classic example of also why we are a .500 program.

500 is ok, we make more money. At least in the beginning.

I just wanted to make sure I was in this thread. Hope you guys get something figured out.

I haven't seen a single post in this thread that expressed that sentiment. There is no one who is playing a holier-than-thou card in terms of not giving this kid an exception.

Giving a kid an exception won't help us whip U[sic]GA's ass if he's not going to be able to stay eligible and given that he may not even meet NCAA minimums, it's extremely unlikely that he would.

Wow. You must really be comfortable with 6-7 and the status quo with the number of posts trying to defend 6-7.

Back