Jeremi Hall Visiting USF

the Physics 2121, 22, & 23 were notoriously "word" oriented. the tests themselves were generated via a random selection of questions that were in a database, so in fact there was a high chance of recurrence of the questions

at times, values were changed so you could not memorize answers, but the type of question was exactly the same.

of course, none of the physics profs wanted to teach those classes really anyway

not anymore. someone left behind a stack of old tests that they had printed out. the prof was pissed.

Because it never occurred to her until she saw the print outs that students may rely on old tests?

Nice piece from Carvell in the AJC where Hall's high school coach blasts us for pulling Hill's offer. Conveniently no mention of grades. I wish Hall the best but this article does not make me think very highly of his coach.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-...oach-ex-georgia-tech-recruit-what-went-wrong/

What a douche.

GT goes out of their way not to call the kid a dumbass and fabricate another reason why we can't accept his commitment and the coach comes out with this.

The kid's offers disappeared quickly after his senior year. It'll be interesting to see if he ends up at a BCS level school, because the speculation is that even if he qualifies, he might not have any BCS options. Perhaps with better coaching and more academic oversight, the kid could've had a better chance. Good work coach.

Don't jump to conclusions. We don't know whether it was grades at all, and if we did know it'd be a FERPA violation, no?

It could be just that he visited another school so Johnson pulled the scholarship.

I like how the coach is demanding that the NCAA look into the ethicality of revoking commitments. A commitment isn't even a thing! It's made up, it doesn't exist, it's nothing legal (and that's actually the problem).

Just to clarify, there's a difference being an exception versus being qualified. You can take all the appropriate course work to be accepted into Tech but not have the grades. If you are accepted, that is an exception. If you don't have the coursework, then you cannot be accepted.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but Hall did not take the required coursework.

I don't know what the cause was--I know what my kid is studying, but I have no idea what our recruits are taking.

I'd hope you can get an exception for a missing class--if you have a 4.0 and a 2400 SAT but you're missing Spanish, that seems like a good reason for an exception even outside of football.

I would guess there are multiple gaps--in grades and courses--and that it's outside a decent range of flexibility.

I just read the Carvell article--not sure what's going on.

Last edited:
I don't know what the cause was--I know what my kid is studying, but I have no idea what our recruits are taking.

I'd hope you can get an exception for a missing class--if you have a 4.0 and a 2400 SAT but you're missing Spanish, that seems like a good reason for an exception even outside of football.

I would guess there are multiple gaps--in grades and courses--and that it's outside a decent range of flexibility.

some things (like a language requirement) is part of the Georgia High School code, you dont graduate without it

there is a pretty small window for classes required and not taken to be "exempted"

Wanna know why Tri Cities went 4-6 last year with 2 D1 linemen on the roster? :rolleyes:

There's your answer!

Wanna know why Tri Cities went 4-6 last year with 2 D1 linemen on the roster? :rolleyes:

There's your answer!

That's actually funny.

I'm not even going to bother reading the article. Knowing who wrote it is all I need to know. Had it been Ken I would've given it some validity. He actually does a good job and backs his stuff up with some journalistic integrity.

The coach was probably upset he couldn't just change Hall's grades like they do for other "universities".

while i do believe that Tech has participated in some of the unsavory things that we accuse other "factories" of on occasion, i daresay that Tech has not made it a practice to behave this way

cheating, making things easy, having a word with the prof, etc may all occur on occasion, that is to be expected - but i dont think as an institutionalized behavior.

Personally just opinion not fact but I think a whole lot of tech student/athlete's have no clue about anything related to there curriculum's. I would love to ask those Industrial Engineer athlete's what a Taylor Series is and simply where they even heard of it. Or, what are the three laws of Thermodynamics. Because if it was just getting tutoring or just getting "Word" files then they would know where they heard of it. Even most of you after three years would know what the hell they are. So, I bet you i could find a bunch of Tech athlete's in the pros even after 3 years or less have no clue what they are. I think all this crap about how tough Tech is for football players academically is just about perceptions. The perception that Tech's academic standards are higher for athlete's than other schools. Because I think the only tough part is in entrance requirements only. And that is just face value for outside of tech to save face for perception value.

Just ask someone from Columbia, Harvard or Penn about that. It all boils down to big $$$$$

And while I am at it I do believe that the academic requirements do put Tech at a disadvantage than other factories. But good for Tech. Because at the end of the day if we ever win a NC then it will be infinitely more satisfying that we did with a entrance standard that is more difficult.

Personally just opinion not fact but I think a whole lot of tech student/athlete's have no clue about anything related to there curriculum's. I would love to ask those Industrial Engineer athlete's what a Taylor Series is and simply where they even heard of it. Or, what are the three laws of Thermodynamics. Because if it was just getting tutoring or just getting "Word" files then they would know where they heard of it. Even most of you after three years would know what the hell they are. So, I bet you i could find a bunch of Tech athlete's in the pros even after 3 years or less have no clue what they are. I think all this crap about how tough Tech is for football players academically is just about perceptions. The perception that Tech's academic standards are higher for athlete's than other schools. Because I think the only tough part is in entrance requirements only. And that is just face value for outside of tech to save face for perception value.

Just ask someone from Columbia, Harvard or Penn about that. It all boils down to big $$$$$

And while I am at it I do believe that the academic requirements do put Tech at a disadvantage than other factories. But good for Tech. Because at the end of the day if we ever win a NC then it will be infinitely more satisfying that we did with a entrance standard that is more difficult.
If you knew anything about Georgia Tech Athletics, you would know that there are very few football players majoring in Industrial Engineering. Most of them are in Business Administration with a few HTS and STAC majors and some in Engineering. In fact, I don't recall there ever being that many in I.E.

Please stop talking out of your ass.

Why would a business major need to know about the laws of thermodynamics? Even a Taylor series. They only have to take survey of calculus and I doubt they cover Taylor series.

Back