Jim from Auburn

Longestdays

Flats Noob
Jim said we needed to recruit better and recruit more OL. I just don't like his attitude and he sounds less than respectful to CPJand our current players. Of course I am a self proclaimed fan boy of the option and most likely biased.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Jim said we needed to recruit better and recruit more OL. I just don't like his attitude and he sounds less than respectful to CPJand our current players. Of course I am a self proclaimed fan boy of the option and most likely biased.
I haven’t listened so I know nothing about his tone. If he’s complaining about recruiting on the lines, he’s not wrong. We don’t have any players on either line that I would consider a playmaker. The Oline is specialized for the offense so I don’t know what to do there.

The D line is another matter. They frustrate the hell out of me. It looks like they run up to the nearest o lineman on every play, hesitate, and then weakly lockup. They do not push in and move people. It looks like they intentionally lockup and then rely on the linebackers to actually make plays on ball carrier or pass rush. I’m not sure if this is taught or just a result of not having size to deal with the o line of opposing teams.

Longestdays

Flats Noob
Jim basically said our OL is not good enough and that if CPJ was smart he would recruit better and more OL.

Yes we do need more OL. CPJ will not grey, blue, or lie shirt himself into the right number. GT has had a significant amount of turnover at OL. I even agree the olds are you can try to keep 5 bbackss and 20 OL and never have more than 4 and 15. But, who wants to sign up for over populated positions and what if the turn over does not happen.

ramblin' wagon

Fluke-like
Ban Hammer'd
I haven’t listened so I know nothing about his tone. If he’s complaining about recruiting on the lines, he’s not wrong. We don’t have any players on either line that I would consider a playmaker. The Oline is specialized for the offense so I don’t know what to do there.

The D line is another matter. They frustrate the hell out of me. It looks like they run up to the nearest o lineman on every play, hesitate, and then weakly lockup. They do not push in and move people. It looks like they intentionally lockup and then rely on the linebackers to actually make plays on ball carrier or pass rush. I’m not sure if this is taught or just a result of not having size to deal with the o line of opposing teams.
The Oline has been bad this year plus didn't we just play a game with only 5 OL a week ago? I am not sure there is any other conclusion than a recruiting problem. I think the Dline is slightly better than last year.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Jim basically said our OL is not good enough and that if CPJ was smart he would recruit better and more OL.

Yes we do need more OL. CPJ will not grey, blue, or lie shirt himself into the right number. GT has had a significant amount of turnover at OL. I even agree the olds are you can try to keep 5 bbackss and 20 OL and never have more than 4 and 15. But, who wants to sign up for over populated positions and what if the turn over does not happen.
He’s shown that people can be plugged into the “skill” positions of a back, b back, and even quarterback. What has not been shown is that people can be plugged into o line positions.

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
PJ said Cooper played well. He said we try to have 15 on scholarship and had 14 before Klock went to grad school at Northwestern and Fromayan went to work. Then Marshall got hurt. Then the Morgan twins got hurt. Then Stickler got a concussion. There goes the depth in a hurry.

Longestdays

Flats Noob
I would not call this a down year on OL. I would say we don't have enough healthy first string players.

ramblin' wagon

Fluke-like
Ban Hammer'd
I am going to cherry pick a play from the wake game. Tell me if this is good OL play.

Dirty Jacket

Never Weaken
I am going to cherry pick a play from the wake game. Tell me if this is good OL play.
Man that is a great /sobering clip. That summarizes much of the OL play in the ACC schedule. Disappointing. We spent the majority of the clemson affair belly flopping. I think 10 games out of 10 Clemson’s DL from this last weekend would blow up our OL, but we can slow them down...maybe

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
I'm all for a passionate fan sharing his concern with the coach, so not gonna knock Jim for that. CPJ gets paid north of $2 mil per year to handle those questions and fix the issue if they have merit.

This mostly covers the response....
PJ said Cooper played well. He said we try to have 15 on scholarship and had 14 before Klock went to grad school at Northwestern and Fromayan went to work. Then Marshall got hurt. Then the Morgan twins got hurt. Then Stickler got a concussion. There goes the depth in a hurry.
CPJ also said you have to judge the body of work and can't just say they suck because they struggled to block the defending national champs at Clemson. 6 of those players on Clemson's front are likely NFL draft picks and some of those are early picks. A lot of people struggle to block Clemson. Said our schedule could have 4 top 10 teams on it when it's all said and done (Miami, Clemson, VT (if they beat Miami), and UGA).

Longestdays

Flats Noob
I wonder if Jim gives $ to the program. The basis of his question is not bad. Telling CPJ how to do is job bad form. I am not going to pay Jim $2 MM to run GT's program, but perhaps he is paying CPJ $2 MM and has the right to ask they way he does... One exception, public belittling of our current players is bad form if you give money or not.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
Jim also said he was at the Clemson game. Kudos to him for going to an away game to support the Jackets. Again, hard to knock a passionate fan for having passion. He was a little douchey on the phone, but we did just get railroaded on national TV...

THWG2

Varsity Lurker
Jim from Auburn here.
To answer a couple of questions raised.
I consider myself an avid GT fan - 32 years of season FB tickets and a season BB ticket holder.
I do donate to the program but am not a major donor.
I Never call out a student athlete publically.
I am frustrated that we do not use all our scholarlships - we had 79 prior to awarding 4 walkons this summer.
It is like we self impose NCAA sanctions and it does not make sense to me.
I try to be respectful to all the coaches. Sorry I came across less than respectful Monday evening.

Go Jackets!!!

ramblin' wagon

Fluke-like
Ban Hammer'd
Right now I count 11 scholarship seniors. We have 83 on scholarship total so that leaves us 13 openings for next season. I thought it was fairly common to not use all 85 scholarships every year but obviously you want to get close. Bama and Ohio St and can find 3 and 4 star guys last minute to fill a slot. For us those last few slots would be filled by guys that have very little chance of ever playing. Not sure how that would help.

Jim from Auburn here.
I consider myself an avid GT fan - 32 years of season FB tickets and a season BB ticket holder.
I am frustrated that we do not use all our scholarlships - we had 79 prior to awarding 4 walkons this summer.
I try to be respectful to all the coaches. Sorry I came across less than respectful Monday evening.

Go Jackets!!!
Hi, Jim from Auburn. Good to hear from you again. We didn’t hear an update but were you ever able to log into The Hive?

https://stingtalk.com/board/threads/the-hive.94785/

18in32

Petard Hoister
Jim from Auburn here.

Go Jackets!!!
Hey, man, kudos for showing up to defend yourself. I'm grateful for all our passionate fans.

The problem with the scholarships is that the only way to really make sure they're all used by scholarship-quality players is to make promises you can't keep. You inevitably have guys drop out at the minute, or decide to leave school, or whatever.