Jim from Auburn

Jim from Auburn here.
To answer a couple of questions raised.
I consider myself an avid GT fan - 32 years of season FB tickets and a season BB ticket holder.
I do donate to the program but am not a major donor.
I Never call out a student athlete publically.
I am frustrated that we do not use all our scholarlships - we had 79 prior to awarding 4 walkons this summer.
It is like we self impose NCAA sanctions and it does not make sense to me.
I try to be respectful to all the coaches. Sorry I came across less than respectful Monday evening.

Go Jackets!!!
Hi Jim!!!

So uhhh are Jim from Auburn and Longestdays going to fight now or what? Getting called out on the internet is serious business. :abused:

Jim from Auburn here.
To answer a couple of questions raised.
I consider myself an avid GT fan - 32 years of season FB tickets and a season BB ticket holder.
I do donate to the program but am not a major donor.
I Never call out a student athlete publically.
I am frustrated that we do not use all our scholarlships - we had 79 prior to awarding 4 walkons this summer.
It is like we self impose NCAA sanctions and it does not make sense to me.
I try to be respectful to all the coaches. Sorry I came across less than respectful Monday evening.

Go Jackets!!!

I did get fired up after your call and the trend of your past calls. This was the very reason why I called. The statement implied that the student athlete backups are not "ACC talent"(may or may not be the case, but I would not say this on the radio), and you questioned CPJ's commitment to recruiting ("year 10 and we are short on OL"). How about... why are we short of OL and is that an area of focus for next years recruiting. Or, what resources would you need to get the best talent available for OL? Or, why don't you target more than 15 scholarship OL with the history of attrition?

But, I have to remember I know why we are short OL and perhaps you did not know and thought CPJ was not trying hard enough to fill scholarships. I am not a fan of over recruiting more than you know you have spots even if you will have unknown attrition over the summer. I would never support a coach that grey or blue shirted players without their consent (Brad Stewart as an example).

Your original calls were a good part of the show for me. The tone was totally different (easy to be positive in 14) and has changed over time. I always thought you were a fan (still do), but I did not like the last call. Keep in mind someone here thinks I sound like a girl and said my slow motion breakdowns are horrible. Everyone has an opinion.

I did get fired up after your call and the trend of your past calls. This was the very reason why I called. The statement implied that the student athlete backups are not "ACC talent"(may or may not be the case, but I would not say this on the radio), and you questioned CPJ's commitment to recruiting ("year 10 and we are short on OL"). How about... why are we short of OL and is that an area of focus for next years recruiting. Or, what resources would you need to get the best talent available for OL? Or, why don't you target more than 15 scholarship OL with the history of attrition?

But, I have to remember I know why we are short OL and perhaps you did not know and thought CPJ was not trying hard enough to fill scholarships. I am not a fan of over recruiting more than you know you have spots even if you will have unknown attrition over the summer. I would never support a coach that grey or blue shirted players without their consent (Brad Stewart as an example).

Your original calls were a good part of the show for me. The tone was totally different (easy to be positive in 14) and has changed over time. I always thought you were a fan (still do), but I did not like the last call. Keep in mind someone here thinks I sound like a girl and said my slow motion breakdowns are horrible. Everyone has an opinion.
Seriously??? It is like you are content with Tech being average. We normally give CPJ the benefit of the doubt. However, CPJ needs to have fans calling for his head when we have a game like we did against Clemson. It is one thing to lose the game. It is another to look like absolute crap on national television. There is nothing about that game that would make a recruit want to come to Tech and play in this system. We need more Jims (from Auburn) who will hold our coaches accountable and not back down.

Longstdays, you are correct that my question could have been more tactfully posed.
I have to disagree with your trend comment though. If you go back to last week's call I complimented the toughness and effectiveness of KirVonte Benson. I expressed concern with him getting 26-27 carries per game and his ability to stay healthy. I said that I have been impressed with Jerry Howard and I would
like to see him get more carries. Asked for his comment.
I am a CPJ fan and like the option offense. I believe his gameday coaching and play calling are exceptional.
I believe having a running QB is an equalizer in college football.
I also do not like coaches that oversign and grey shirt unless the grey shirt is agreed upon ahead of time

You fags going to fight or not?

I agreed with Jim's comment from last week... I was about to yell it at CPJ from my seat. Its a long season to be riding one horse.

These aren't the Droids you are looking for...

Last edited:

I love your slow-motion breakdowns. öööö the haters.

Seriously??? It is like you are content with Tech being average. We normally give CPJ the benefit of the doubt. However, CPJ needs to have fans calling for his head when we have a game like we did against Clemson. It is one thing to lose the game. It is another to look like absolute crap on national television. There is nothing about that game that would make a recruit want to come to Tech and play in this system. We need more Jims (from Auburn) who will hold our coaches accountable and not back down.

I will fight with this guy,

So you want me to say... CPJ I am disappointed with your recruiting performance, your low caliber recruits, your inability to train them up, and your execution of your offense on the field. I am tired of your excuses for not beating an opponent with 5X the resources, 10X better louder and deeper pocket fans, degrees recruits want, degrees to hide those who just want to play ball, all pro 1st and 2nd round draft picks, and last years N.C. You should be ashamed of your work ethic in producing results that any other coach would out perform at GT. You cannot even match GT's history of performance. No, I don't want to hear about new APR standards and the excellence our student athletes are achieving in school. I don't want to hear that a Student Athlete wanted to draw cartoons, that a S.A wanted to go to grad school, that a SA decided to play NASCAR, that the drug policy is crazy, that players wanted to go to a different school, that a player got "hurt". You should have planned for these type of issues.

You cannot even beat a team Syracuse beat. That's right, a team Syracuse beat. I am here to hold you accountable for not passing, not running the shotgun, cut blocking, cut blocking by OL, and not playing football the way it was meant to be played. If you would only follow my suggestions, you would have won the NC by now. No, you refuse to listen to reason. You are too stubborn to change. No, I don't want to hear your diamond formation excuses. I don't want to hear that you are throwing more than UGA. I expect you to win out this season and anything less is not worthy of my time and will result in your termination.

Consider this your notice. You are now on a PIP. I will call next week to continue to document your lack of performance. I know more than you and could easily do your job.

You want the truth, you can't handle the truth. This is what I hear when you wood worms come out after a loss.

So you want me to say... CPJ I am disappointed with your recruiting performance, your low caliber recruits, your inability to train them up, and your execution of your offense on the field. I am tired of your excuses for not beating an opponent with 5X the resources, 10X better louder and deeper pocket fans, degrees recruits want, degrees to hide those who just want to play ball, all pro 1st and 2nd round draft picks, and last years N.C. You should be ashamed of your work ethic in producing results that any other coach would out perform at GT. You cannot even match GT's history of performance. No, I don't want to hear about new APR standards and the excellence our student athletes are achieving in school. I don't want to hear that a Student Athlete wanted to draw cartoons, that a S.A wanted to go to grad school, that a SA decided to play NASCAR, that the drug policy is crazy, that players wanted to go to a different school, that a player got "hurt". You should have planned for these type of issues.

You cannot even beat a team Syracuse beat. That's right, a team Syracuse beat. I am here to hold you accountable for not passing, not running the shotgun, cut blocking, cut blocking by OL, and not playing football the way it was meant to be played. If you would only follow my suggestions, you would have won the NC by now. No, you refuse to listen to reason. You are too stubborn to change. No, I don't want to hear your diamond formation excuses. I don't want to hear that you are throwing more than UGA. I expect you to win out this season and anything less is not worthy of my time and will result in your termination.

Consider this your notice. You are now on a PIP. I will call next week to continue to document your lack of performance. I know more than you and could easily do your job.

You want the truth, you can't handle the truth. This is what I hear when you wood worms come out after a loss.
Let's throw down.

Is that supposed to be sarcasm?

Just to throw a little bit of reality in here. The reason we are short on the OL isn't recruiting. It is the fact that players leave early. There are two missing this year. Two we could have used. The reason they leave early......pretty easy to figure out.

One could not get into the MBA program at Tech and the other went to NASCAR. The Year before we had one leave to draw cartoons (this is not offered at GT). We lost 2 to career ending injuries as well. This year we had 2 injured for the Clemson game.

To the recruiting discussion, my 2 cents is that we need to find a way to be at 85 so as not to self impose sanctions by default. That requires improvements in a few areas to me.

1) We need to have a better grasp on what our attrition will be. Our attrition rate is comparable or better than most, but seems to catch our coaches by surprise more often. I won’t pretend to know what other schools do differently to plan for this, but have a few ideas myself. To any tech players reading this that are thinking of transferring, I ask that you find a way to inform the coaches as a courtesy to them and your teammates.
2) recruiting staff. Goes without saying. This shouldn’t be a terribly controversial topic for the radio show to ask what resources coach needs to improve recruiting.
3) player development. It’s a lot easier to stomach taking a flyer on an undersized lineman with great technique when we know we can bulk him up here. Oftentimes, the philosophy is can’t coach size, but I haven’t exactly seen our guys improve fundamentals that much either. Injuries aren’t entirely luck based. I’ll leave this one be because people will invariably argue the point and there’s no sense in calling out examples. Some offseasons show more development than others. I thought our team looks bigger stronger faster this year than most.

Just listened to the replay. CPJ gave a pretty good beatdown on Jim, so I think the exchange provided a good opportunity for the coach to respond to some thoughts that a lot of fans probably have. I didn't like the tone of the question, but I think CPJ handled it with a complete and logical response.

:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

Back