Jimbo to TA&M

With Mullen at UF, Richt at Da U and UCF, USF and FAU making noise + a resurgent UGAg (yet to be proven), Clempsun, Awburn, Bama, etc. - FSU could become an also-ran pretty quickly if Jimbo leaves and they F up the hire.
Most of the boosters and fans I know really think they are selling themselves short here. The knee jerk reaction when a team's offense is struggling is to hire a flash and dash guy. But the reality is that is a short sided attempt at a fix. They ain't Baylor, they don't need to take shortcuts to try to compete. They have money, tradition, and a recruiting area that is second to none. Anyone with any sense sees that fundamentals, defense, and line play wins titles...not some crap slinging it 50 times a game and trying to run 100 plays

The athletic department at FSU is chock full of some of the stupidest people imaginable. They could have had virtually any coach they wanted, save the obvious ones, and they jumped at a guy like Taggart. He will bring a staff of guys who have no ties to the south, big time football, or understanding how to deal with boosters. Another "Mike London-look how PC we are" hire. He will force them to fire him in 3-4 years, and Clemson will have a firm grip on the ACC

Is it "PC" because it's a black guy? Just curious. I agree that FSU has the pedigree to get a more established coach, but there are at least some logical reasons why Taggart would be on the second tier of candidates.

Is it "PC" because it's a black guy? Just curious. I agree that FSU has the pedigree to get a more established coach, but there are at least some logical reasons why Taggart would be on the second tier of candidates.
No sir, it is PC when the incompetent AD is quoted as "wanting to hire a minority" even before a search has officially begun. Then he seems to have quickly honed in on this guy before talking to numerous coaches with very high qualifications.

SIAP but I found this tidbit interesting on r/CFB:

"Apparently him and the staff he assembled just cut contact with our recruits about a month ago. Combine that with his inability to fire his friends on this öööö staff."

Pretty crazy that he is actively sabotaging their recruiting class.

"Apparently him and the staff he assembled just cut contact with our recruits about a month ago. Combine that with his inability to fire his friends on this öööö staff."

Pretty crazy that he is actively sabotaging their recruiting class.

I wouldn't take that as gospel.

Did you see how many decommits they have had this past week? It lines up.
Odd that they've had recruits on campus in the last month given they cut off all contact.... I'm not saying he's staying, at all, but let's not attack his integrity.

Odd that they've had recruits on campus in the last month given they cut off all contact.... I'm not saying he's staying, at all, but let's not attack his integrity.
The whole thing has been handled poorly on all accounts. Living in Tallahassee, and knowing some fairly well connected boosters, and a couple of friends in the athletic dept., here is my take:

1) Fisher: A lot of things began happening in his life several years ago, most of them not good. He is a big believer in "the process", and he wants to basically emulate what Saban and the other SEC schools are doing. He wants basic control over the program including demanding virtually any facility upgrade he wants. The boosters have given him everything he wants; a state of the art IPF, world class locker rooms, players lounges, etc. Plans are in the works for a "stand alone football academic facility", which is the new buzz word among major programs for recruiting.

The admin and the boosters have been patient and supported him, but the way the season has unfolded, and the way he has handled his team, coupled with his annual "he is considering taking the ???? job" have cost him some leverage. He openly doesn't like the AD, and the head of the boosters. Many people believe this whole thing with Texas A&M has been in the works for months, and the way things have unfolded on the field suggest that may be true.

2). The AD: Stan Wilcox was a PC hire by the former President, who was a disaster for athletics and fund raising. He was an associate AD at Duke prior, and many in Tallahassee believe he is over his head in running a program at a major state university. It is being reported he is "looking to hire a minority coach". If that is proven true, to the exclusion of looking at the best overall candidate, regardless, he is going to have alot of problems going forward.

It seems likely that Willie Taggert is going to be hired, and many are not questioning whether he should have been considered, but the fact other very qualified candidates were excluded.
I personally think he willbe in way over his head there, and will never bring the FSU program up to a top 5 level while he is there. What he has going for him is the bar suddenly got set pretty low for him. Dabo and Richt must be ecstatic about this. FSU seemsto have stepped on it's own you know what

The whole thing has been handled poorly on all accounts. Living in Tallahassee, and knowing some fairly well connected boosters, and a couple of friends in the athletic dept., here is my take:

1) Fisher: A lot of things began happening in his life several years ago, most of them not good. He is a big believer in "the process", and he wants to basically emulate what Saban and the other SEC schools are doing. He wants basic control over the program including demanding virtually any facility upgrade he wants. The boosters have given him everything he wants; a state of the art IPF, world class locker rooms, players lounges, etc. Plans are in the works for a "stand alone football academic facility", which is the new buzz word among major programs for recruiting.

The admin and the boosters have been patient and supported him, but the way the season has unfolded, and the way he has handled his team, coupled with his annual "he is considering taking the ???? job" have cost him some leverage. He openly doesn't like the AD, and the head of the boosters. Many people believe this whole thing with Texas A&M has been in the works for months, and the way things have unfolded on the field suggest that may be true.

2). The AD: Stan Wilcox was a PC hire by the former President, who was a disaster for athletics and fund raising. He was an associate AD at Duke prior, and many in Tallahassee believe he is over his head in running a program at a major state university. It is being reported he is "looking to hire a minority coach". If that is proven true, to the exclusion of looking at the best overall candidate, regardless, he is going to have alot of problems going forward.

It seems likely that Willie Taggert is going to be hired, and many are not questioning whether he should have been considered, but the fact other very qualified candidates were excluded.
I personally think he willbe in way over his head there, and will never bring the FSU program up to a top 5 level while he is there. What he has going for him is the bar suddenly got set pretty low for him. Dabo and Richt must be ecstatic about this. FSU seemsto have stepped on it's own you know what

Ugh. Smart is probably ecstatic, too. FSU recruits heavily in Valdosta, IIRC.

It's official now. Jimbo's gone.

well-its-about-time.jpg

This is savagery if true. Sabotaging the incoming recruiting class on the way out the door. Cold blooded. What will be even better is if he poaches the best players from that class for TAMU. I don't think that will happen however, as I think kids are going to FSU b/c FSU and not b/c Jimbo.

10 year $75million is absolutely ööööing insane. I hope he crashes and burns and A&M has to eat that money.

Texas A$M could be like Clemson if Jimbo is the right guy. They have all the pieces in place.

Longhorn fans are miserable today because they know Jimbo can recruit with the best of them.

Back