Justin Thomas commits to GT

Gailey did have games against Samford and other cupcakes--just not every year. And Johnson has had a lot of people ducking him--at least, early on.
BYU, Vandy, Auburn, and UGA wasn't Gailey's typical OOC schedule.

No, it wasn't but UGA + another good OOC opponent + 2 cupcakes was standard (that was the original point). Our schedules have been easier under CPJ based on that "another good OOC opponent" - in conference has been a wash.

Hell, I'm a proponent of the easier schedule - it's obvious based on the last page of this thread that 8 wins makes people feel better than 7 wins. How you get there doesn't seem to matter.

Gailey did have games against Samford and other cupcakes--just not every year. And Johnson has had a lot of people ducking him--at least, early on.
BYU, Vandy, Auburn, and UGA wasn't Gailey's typical OOC schedule.

Who is ducking us? If anything Johnson has said that he doesn't want us to play hard OOC games. He thinks the ACC schedule is tough enough for some reason

Who is ducking us? If anything DRAD has said that he doesn't want us to play hard OOC games. He thinks the ACC schedule is tough enough for some reason

Fixed. He's the one that makes the schedule.

Fixed. He's the one that makes the schedule.

He was quoted in the AJC as saying that the conference schedule is tough enough.

DRAD may do the negotiating and sign the contracts, but head coaches have a big influence in the schedules

He was quoted in the AJC as saying that the conference schedule is tough enough.

DRAD may do the negotiating and sign the contracts, but head coaches have a big influence in the schedules

True. But DRAD shares the philosophy. I guess if CPJ were adamant that we schedule tougher DRAD would do it but business-wise it makes sense in the long run to ease the schedule (one game against Bama would be great for attendance for one game but several 9 win seasons will increase the season ticket base)

Who is ducking us? If anything Johnson has said that he doesn't want us to play hard OOC games. He thinks the ACC schedule is tough enough for some reason

For the last two years the second half of the schedule has proven it is tough enough. That or they decided to stop playing good football after 6 games.

For the last two years the second half of the schedule has proven it is tough enough. That or they decided to stop playing good football after 6 games.

Agreed.

The fact we were ranked #11 or 12 after our start is also proof our schedule is tough enough to win a 'ship.

It occurred to me that it's a shame we won't be able to use this kid in the return game. If it weren't for fear of losing a QB to injury on a special teams play, he looks like he could be electric with punts / kick-offs.

Also, I can't wait to see the QB draw play with the ball in his hands.

Agreed.

The fact we were ranked #11 or 12 after our start is also proof our schedule is tough enough to win a 'ship.

Tech plays the toughest ACC schedule in the league -- Klempsun, Miami, VPI, UNC every year. FSU 2 out of 6 years. Then, add the leg humpers at the end of every season. We don't need tougher OOC teams. And, it gets even tougher when you consider that Klempsun, VPI, and ugag are always away games every other year.

We don't need tougher OOC teams.

Agreed, we don't necessarily need tougher, but we need more compelling. The BYU game is a good opponent, but that doesn't move the meter down in Atlanta at all. I would've rather played a comparable Big East, SEC or even Big 12 team instead of BYU.

We had a good turnout with SC State a few years back. Why not continue to schedule the HBCU's for the 1st game. There are a lot of HBCU alums in the Atlanta area and Atlanta is a great city for these teams and fanbases to travel to. They'll bring more fans than Elon or WCU. Heck, their bands are a little better too! At least there is some sort of ticket sale angle with those teams.

I remember being pretty convinced that we did. What is the truth?

The Bama media claimed that we ducked them. In fact, they called us back after CPJ was hired and said "yo, we're not coming to your place. You come to our place and then we'll play at the Georgia Dome for the other game." And we said "Hell no, original deal or no deal." And they went to their media and said "GT called it off."

I guess you could say "we ducked Bama" if you think our saying the deal is off because they would not respect the right we had to host Bama in Bobby Dodd Stadium because it's "too small" for them is ducking them...

Agreed, we don't necessarily need tougher, but we need more compelling. The BYU game is a good opponent, but that doesn't move the meter down in Atlanta at all. I would've rather played a comparable Big East, SEC or even Big 12 team instead of BYU.

We had a good turnout with SC State a few years back. Why not continue to schedule the HBCU's for the 1st game. There are a lot of HBCU alums in the Atlanta area and Atlanta is a great city for these teams and fanbases to travel to. They'll bring more fans than Elon or WCU. Heck, their bands are a little better too! At least there is some sort of ticket sale angle with those teams.

Agree on the HBCU angle. Disagree on BYU.

I don't give a crap about the Big East teams, especially now. I'd much rather play BYU than UCONN.

I liked any SEC school to come to town.

I'd like an ACC/BIG10 football challenge.

Agree on the HBCU angle. Disagree on BYU.

I don't give a crap about the Big East teams, especially now. I'd much rather play BYU than UCONN.

I liked any SEC school to come to town.

I'd like an ACC/BIG10 football challenge.

I wasn't really thinking UCONN when I made that suggestion. I was thinking a school like Louisville or WVU. I agree that still is not that appealing, but I'd still rather play them than BYU.

Back