Kelly is our next DC

Kiffin said we didn't miss a tackle all day.

Say what you will about him being a clown - I certainly think he's a clown - but everything I've read from his post-game comments seems pretty accurate.

No, I am sure he spun it like, "We ran right into their tacklers all day"

Just the fact that we were in position to make the plays and we tackled like beasts were reason enough to give CCK a serious look. The Dline played great gap technique, the LB's were able to run to the ball and get there pass drops soundly, and the DB's played tight on the corners with the safeties providing over the top support. Sound fundamentals all day. And we held USC to 7 points w/o our best defender on the field for most of the game...:biggthumpup:

Agreed. While true USC's QB was off, I think the looks and coverage by the D caused confusion and tight windows to operate in resulting in him being off moreso than wind/weather.

Actually, you don't know what you're talking about as he's been a DC before he came to GT at smaller schools. Sometimes in life to be successful you have to take chances with hiring people who are ready for the job as opposed to having experience in the job. In this case, I think we need to hire CCK as the DC. I said it the minute Groh was fired. And I also have to question your thinking that Groh needed 3 entire years. The öööö wheels were falling off in year 3 at an alarming rate and PJ had to do something to stop the bleeding. For all of Groh's experience... he has not had successful defenses for a LONG time. Digging up experienced retreads isn't always the best way to go. I rather give the job to someone who is hungry. Charles Kelly has proven that he is hungry.

You don't know what you're talking about. On the one hand you bash experienced retreads and then bring up that Kelley is essentially an experienced retread. For whatever reason, Groh and his assistants did not get along and he was forced to utilize them. We don't know what Groh could have done given his own resources. Based upon his recent comments, he wasn't given what he felt he needed to be successful.

92's crusade against Kelley is already as predictable as phd's crusade against DRad.

You don't know what you're talking about. On the one hand you bash experienced retreads and then bring up that Kelley is essentially an experienced retread. For whatever reason, Groh and his assistants did not get along and he was forced to utilize them. We don't know what Groh could have done given his own resources. Based upon his recent comments, he wasn't given what he felt he needed to be successful.

If Groh needed his own assistants that badly, then he should of stipulated it in his hiring. If Groh's defense really needs 3-4 more specialized assistants to work, then the decision to hire him was a mistake all around.

Kelly isn't a retread. A retread is somebody who goes from one team to another but never really accomplishes anything. Besides, you have to at least be a coordinator or head coach to qualify as a retread - you have to have authority. Kelly is someone who has paid his dues as an assistant coach and may finallly 'get the call' to the big time.

I'm done with the big name outsiders who bring all their baggage and what not.

Kelly isn't a retread. A retread is somebody who goes from one team to another but never really accomplishes anything. Besides, you have to at least be a coordinator or head coach to qualify as a retread - you have to have authority. Kelly is someone who has paid his dues as an assistant coach and may finallly 'get the call' to the big time.

I'm done with the big name outsiders who bring all their baggage and what not.

I think I'm at this point as well. Wanted Ellis Johnson or one of the Bama assistants, but now I think elevating Kelly is the call.

At least there'd be some continuity rather that starting from scratch next year.

What was he teaching them before we played UGA? Or did you all forget that game.

So we gave up 42 to a really good team that put up 28 on the best defense in the country (Alabama) and 45 on Nebraska. Murray finished #1 in the country in pass rating. 11th overall in team offense and 9th overall in team points. They averaged 37.8 ppg all year - giving up 42 to uga on the road isn't that embarrassing.

I'm sure it also didn't help giving up the ball on the 44, 50, 49, 32, 41, and 49. In fact, uga had one TD drive over 70 yards and only 2 over 60 yards. Not that it would have changed the outcome of the game, but we gave up only 379 yards to uga. We easily could have given up just 28 or 35 points if we were more concerned with keeping it close versus trying to win.

I'm not trying to dismiss the uga game as nothing, but we played some pretty öööö good D against FSU (39.3 ppg) and USC (32.1 ppg).

You may want to point to UNC as another defensive letdown, but we gave up only 10 points that game than UNC averages, not counting UNC's FIFTEEN possessions.

When Tech hired Al Groh, Giff Smith left for Buffalo. I would not want Tech to let the same thing happen with Kelly. He is our most accomplished recruiter and has done a fine job as the DC. One might conclude that given a spring and summer Tech may once again have a defense to be proud of. The improvement in the defense over the last four weeks was astounding. Give coach Kelly the reigns and allow him to hire an assitant with recruiting abilities and Tech is back on track. Next year could be a good one.

When Tech hired Al Groh, Giff Smith left for Buffalo. I would not want Tech to let the same thing happen with Kelly. He is our most accomplished recruiter and has done a fine job as the DC. One might conclude that given a spring and summer Tech may once again have a defense to be proud of. The improvement in the defense over the last four weeks was astounding. Give coach Kelly the reigns and allow him to hire an assitant with recruiting abilities and Tech is back on track. Next year could be a good one.

agree

it appears that PJ and Kelly work well together and PJ wants to stay involved. It is too risky to bring in another outside person with a "learning curve"

I remain squarely in the skeptical column regarding Coach Kelly based (only) on the limited emotional high of two greatly improved defensive performances.

HOWEVER, skepticism is tempered by the results of another "emotional hire" by Clemson of Dabo Swinney. Many, probably including me, laughed at that decision by Clemson when they could have gotten one of many "name" coaches for the position. But I honestly doubt any of them could have gotten better results than Dabo, even if they could have done a better "job" than Dabo.

Sometimes the emotional decision can be the right decision.

Tubberville at the helm at Clemson would have a MNC by now in the same years as Dabo. There are probably a very small group of others who could do better than Dabo as well but most of them aren't moving. I don't think he was a terrible hire in retrospect, but let's not get carried away. The ceiling on that program is very high with immediacy.

No, I am sure he spun it like, "We ran right into their tacklers all day"

No, his statement was just like it was quoted. He apparently was very complimentary.

Tubberville at the helm at Clemson would have a MNC by now in the same years as Dabo. There are probably a very small group of others who could do better than Dabo as well but most of them aren't moving. I don't think he was a terrible hire in retrospect, but let's not get carried away. The ceiling on that program is very high with immediacy.

Maybe, but lots of "sure fire" hires have not panned out as expected. Who'd have thought Payton could get better results in NO than Ditka?

By contrast EVERYBODY (at least outside of Clemson) thought hiring Dabo was a joke. And most experts thought Tommy Bowden would bring Clemson back as a national contender when he was hired.

The simple ability to get the players to buy-in and get fired up to play is taken for granted too often.

Dabo is a better recruiter than Tubby. Tubby may be better coach but he would not have had Dabo's players.

Richt is another example of someone who recruits better than they coach. ugag has 9 players on Def that will be drafted. They are probably the most talented team in the country. But when you watch them it is clear that some of those players cannot pour "piss out of a boot"

MR will NEVER have a more talented team than this year. They had the weakest schedule in the SEC and the most talent.

amazing

I say give CCK a 1 year deal. After all, it's not like our D can get much worse.

What the hell is he supposed to tell recruits..."I hope I'll be here the next season?".."I'm Charles Kelly?"

And what if he gets offered a 3 year contract someplace else? Or if he does well next year and needs to negotiate a new contract for 2014? There are reasons that coaching contracts are longer than 1 year, and if he's good enough to get the job at Tech, he's good enough to field offers from other programs.

Back