Kelly is our next DC

92's crusade against Kelley is already as predictable as phd's crusade against DRad.

Maybe you have a reading comprehension problem. I've said we need to look around, but some dumbasses are so excited about a game and a half that they don't want to even look at other options. This defense has sucked for all 5 years that Kelly was on the staff and he's been fired as a DC 3 times in a relatively short career. I have also suggested that he may be a better fit at a different coordinator position, special teams.

a few points:

one concern is transition time. we don't want another "i need 3 years" guy. CCK seems to be making improvements without a performance lag.

another is big games. in two big games, the defense sucked (byu, uga) and in two big games the defense rocked (fsu, usc). the problem is the disparity between the two. while we're trending towards being better, there's still a lot of variance and that's scary (like tenuta's D.) from my amateur eyes, it seems like the defensive style has varied quite a bit over CCK's reign, but that's a tangent.

the last concern is ceiling. CCK has been here a while, and the secondary hasn't always been great. is he getting lucky now and will he be better later?

i think it's pretty difficult to judge a coach by 6 games. i'm not sure how fair judging him by groh's stats is either, particularly when he seems to be doing a better job.

???

"Kelly, a former defensive coordinator at three different schools, served as the Yellow Jackets' special teams coordinator in 2006 and 2007. He was instrumental in making Georgia Tech into one of the nation's best special teams units in 2007. That group went from 119th in the nation in kick return defense in 2006 to second in 2007. Under Kelly's guidance, punter Durant Brooks and place-kicker Travis Bell each earned first team All-ACC accolades. Brooks earned the prestigious Ray Guy Award in 2007 and recorded the highest career punting average in ACC history."

He's been a DC at 3 different schools. That was BoR's point. Somehow, Groh was a retread, but Kelly isn't.

Well, I'll put the difference as this:

Kelly was defensive coordinator at FCS/Div I-AA/Div II schools (Jax St, Henderson St, and Nicholls St) previously. What we don't know is why he left each place. Odds are leaving Nicholls St was an upward movement to GT since on Kelly's profile at the AA site, it talks about high ranking defenses while he was there. Jacksonville St went from Div II to Div I-AA a year before Kelly was promoted to DC, fired their previous long time coach after that year and with the new hire Kelly was promoted to DC. After 3 years seems like everyone was canned. Would take another 3 years and a conference switch before Jax St had a winning record.

So I think defining Kelly as a retread is a bit of a shaky stance since any firings were over a decade ago and at a Div II team recently raised to Div I-AA and a Div II team he was at for 1 year (can't find much info on what went on with Henderson St).

Edit: I will say I am not disagreeing with you that we should look around, but I don't think we know Kelly would be a poor option either.

This defense has sucked for all 5 years that Kelly was on the staff and he's been fired as a DC 3 times in a relatively short career.

Err... he was hired away as a DC from Nicholls State to be our STC (so wasn't fired); and was brought from Jacksonville State to Henderson State along with JSU's then-QB coach who was being hired as the Head Coach. Mind you, that guy was Patrick Nix.

Haven't found anything about Henderson State, except that they sucked both years Nix was the head coach, and Kelly was only DC there the first year before going to HS; so I'm guessing he was probably fired there. But that's just the once.

Well, I'll put the difference as this:

Kelly was defensive coordinator at FCS/Div I-AA/Div II schools (Jax St, Henderson St, and Nicholls St) previously. What we don't know is why he left each place. Odds are leaving Nicholls St was an upward movement to GT since on Kelly's profile at the AA site, it talks about high ranking defenses while he was there. Jacksonville St went from Div II to Div I-AA a year before Kelly was promoted to DC, fired their previous long time coach after that year and with the new hire Kelly was promoted to DC. After 3 years seems like everyone was canned. Would take another 3 years and a conference switch before Jax St had a winning record.

So I think defining Kelly as a retread is a bit of a shaky stance since any firings were over a decade ago and at a Div II team recently raised to Div I-AA and a Div II team he was at for 1 year (can't find much info on what went on with Henderson St).

What's your definition of a retread? How does that same definition differentiate between Groh and Kelly? Both were retreads, as are most assistant coaches and coordinators in major college football.

Maybe you have a reading comprehension problem. I've said we need to look around, but some dumbasses are so excited about a game and a half that they don't want to even look at other options. This defense has sucked for all 5 years that Kelly was on the staff and he's been fired as a DC 3 times in a relatively short career. I have also suggested that he may be a better fit at a different coordinator position, special teams.

"Maybe you didn't understand..."

<Goes on to repeat talking points in crusade against CCK>

"Maybe you didn't understand..."

<Goes on to repeat talking points in crusade against CCK>

Goes on to re-state a bad point because he is so excited about a 7-7 team that won a ööööty bowl against an unmotivated team with an inexperienced qb. We didn't beat a single quality team this year with either DC. And USC would have beat us if the offense wouldn't have moved the ball for huge chunks of time like they did against VT, Utah, MTSU, etc. They were starting to beat our D down, but we furtunately got some turnovers late in the game. That's the same MO that we've seen for the last three years.

CPJ has been overseeing the defense since CAG left. He deserves some credit for finding a focus, "simplifying", and getting guys "flying to the ball". Kelly probably deserves the credit for improving the tackling. Regardless of who has been doing what, I like the outcome in the last 2 games. I'd be happy with a sound, simple defense to support our offense. CCK wouldn't have the interim job if he didn't get along with CPJ; lets give him the job.

What's your definition of a retread? How does that same definition differentiate between Groh and Kelly? Both were retreads, as are most assistant coaches and coordinators in major college football.

hiring someone who was recently fired

I would say a retread (in terms of football coaching) is someone who did a lot of work at higher levels and then flunked down to lower levels. The only case where we can point out with any sort of surety a failure by Kelly is when he was DC at Jax St right after they moved up a division in football (a case where the entire coaching staff seems to of been booted). This also happen almost 15 years ago and was eventually followed with him having success at an FCS school then moving up to assistant coach at a BCS school. Groh started his success in the NFL, got fired as HC, went down to Virginia as HC, got fired again, then went down to DC. Call it a difference in career movement trending to this point in time.

Goes on to re-state a bad point because he is so excited about a 7-7 team that won a ööööty bowl against an unmotivated team with an inexperienced qb.

:lol:

I don't care one way or the other with Kelley and I don't know enough about him or defense in general to properly decide what is best in this situation. Somebody with a much higher football IQ than myself will make this decision, depending upon what you think of Paul Johnson, and he certainly isn't listening to any of us in any event. I haven't made any points at all except in your paranoid interpretation of the conversation we're having.

We didn't beat a single quality team this year with either DC. And USC would have beat us if the offense wouldn't have moved the ball for huge chunks of time like they did against VT, Utah, MTSU, etc. They were starting to beat our D down, but we furtunately got some turnovers late in the game. That's the same MO that we've seen for the last three years.

Oh look, more of the stuff you've said before in this and many other threads since Groh was fired and began crying in haikus to the literally several people who eventually wanted to interview him. :rolleyes: I was tempted to include most of the first sentence of your post in this quote block since it, too, is fully overflowing with counterpoints to some position you think I've taken.

I wonder what it was I said you were doing again? Something predictable I think. Dunno, my reading comprehension problem must be flaring up again.

I don't care one way or the other with Kelley and I don't know enough about him or defense in general to properly decide what is best in this situation. Somebody with a much higher football IQ than myself will make this decision, depending upon what you think of Paul Johnson, and he certainly isn't listening to any of us in any event. I haven't made any points at all except in your paranoid interpretation of the conversation we're having.

Oh look, more of the stuff you've said before in this and many other threads since Groh was fired and began crying in haikus to the literally several people who eventually wanted to interview him. :rolleyes: I was tempted to include most of the first sentence of your post in this quote block since it, too, is fully overflowing with counterpoints to some position you think I've taken.

I wonder what it was I said you were doing again? Something predictable I think. Dunno, my reading comprehension problem must be flaring up again.

You've accepted mediocrity. Just admit it already!
am i doing it right?

Goes on to re-state a bad point because he is so excited about a 7-7 team that won a ööööty bowl against an unmotivated team with an inexperienced qb. We didn't beat a single quality team this year with either DC. And USC would have beat us if the offense wouldn't have moved the ball for huge chunks of time like they did against VT, Utah, MTSU, etc. They were starting to beat our D down, but we furtunately got some turnovers late in the game. That's the same MO that we've seen for the last three years.

:rotfl: if was a fif we all be drunk.

Maybe you're not one of the ones that thinks Kelly is the solution and we should look no further. I'm seeing a lot of that from people with selective memories that appear to only last about a week. The same people were saying that our defense had improved after the first two weeks of the season.

Back