Kelly is our next DC

iiuc, 1992 thinks that Groh wasn't the problem with our D but rather the fact that Groh couldn't bring in his own assistants. Again, as I understand it, the D assistants, like CCK, were part of the problem because they raised a coup against Groh. (I may have overstated that, but I think it's accurate). Consequently, he's going to be less inclined to favor supporting CCK.

ok, good analysis, mr negative nancy. the wind? what number was he wearing for us? your comments are stupid and negative for no reason. and did i say stupid?

It's nice to play in the ACC. Look, if you didn't see that the wind bothered Wittek, you're the moron. They were missing some pretty open passes. I just don't want to be sitting here mid-season next year wondering why the hell we hired CK after a five year audition because of a game and a half. Enjoy your koolaid, but the body of work isn't impressive.

Here's CPJ's dilemma. If he keeps CK and he flops, he might not see 2014. A new DC might buy him a year or two more. Another .500 or worse season and CPJ will be looking at walking papers.

I'm not convinced the D was that much better the last 6 quarters. If you're watching the Orange Bowl, you can see that FSU isn't exactly an offensive power house and the wind screwed with Wittek big time. We thought they looked good in the VT game until we found out how inept the VT offense was. The larger sample shows this as an anomaly.

Now I have to question your football acumen. So you mean tell me the D hasn't been better in the last 6 qtrs? So did the wind affect USC run game? It didnt affect noodle are Tevin from throwing. Also, are we that mentally convinced that we are mediocre that every good thing that happen to us is a result of someone else misdoings and not something we caused or did.

Now I have to question your football acumen. So you mean tell me the D hasn't been better in the last 6 qtrs? So did the wind affect USC run game? It didnt affect noodle are Tevin from throwing. Also, are we that mentally convinced that we are mediocre that every good thing that happen to us is a result of someone else misdoings and not something we caused or did.

Spectacular post, no joKing

Now I have to question your football acumen. So you mean tell me the D hasn't been better in the last 6 qtrs? So did the wind affect USC run game? It didnt affect noodle arm Tevin from throwing. Also, are we that mentally convinced that we are mediocre that every good thing that happen to us is a result of someone else misdoings and not something we caused or did.

+1

not to mention that maybe our DC realized that it was going to be a windy day. so, we played 2 over the top all day to force them to have to throw short to medium with wind and were able to stop their run game

thats what i call a defensive game-plan. and it was a smart and effective one. thats what i want to see in a dc. a simple and effective plan

when attachou (our leading tackler, iirc) went down, we had someone else step up big. Dieke and others played with an energy that made me jump out of my seat. these were great to see.

do i think kelly will solve all of our problems? no, of course not. but he has shown his loyalty to Tech simply by realizing he has been on multiple Tech staffs, he is said to be one of our better recruiters, the players seem to have responded to him

maybe we should have co-defensive coordinators. one guy, co-dc and dline coach, the other co-dc and recruiting coord

For reasons probably more related to multiple drinks during the bowl parade today than any degree of sanity I will chime in here. I don't think anyone would contend the defense wasn't better over the last several games. Whether it was "good" or not could be debated ad nauseum and probably not resolved short of dueling pistols at dawn tomorrow.

I think the point being missed here is CPJ has one more shot to get this right. His contract gives him a 2 year cushion before anyone can do anything to him but he has a flat record right now and a new AD coming in who may or may not be a fan. Who knows.

Kelley did a good job under trying circumstances and likely did about as well on the field as could be expected for a mid season appointment. full stop. Whether that is good enough or not though is IMHO not a lay down as others seem to think/contend. If it is me I am going to think long and hard about whether I want to put my future potentially/likely in the hands of a new/untested DC such as Kelley or look for someone with much more of a track record as a DC already. Lot of things go into the mix - what my budget is for the hire, what my conversations with Kelley tell me about his philosophies and what he would do, what I think about his recruiting, whether I want to keep the rest of the D staff, etc. etc. But my bet is that in the cold light of tomorrow after the glow of beating a USC team who clearly was on the downside of their season is over, CPJ most likely goes for a more proven commodity given his status and recent record. Wouldn't bother me if Kelley is the pick just giving my opinion.

iiuc, 1992 thinks that Groh wasn't the problem with our D but rather the fact that Groh couldn't bring in his own assistants. Again, as I understand it, the D assistants, like CCK, were part of the problem because they raised a coup against Groh. (I may have overstated that, but I think it's accurate). Consequently, he's going to be less inclined to favor supporting CCK.

I pretty consistently bashed Groh for a lack of aggressiveness. I think if CPJ was going to hand over the keys to the defense to him, he should have had his own trusted assistants. CPJ did say the defensive assistants came to him complaining. I also think Groh should have had the full 3 years that he said it would take. There were signs of it getting better here and there.

The reason I would rather have a proven entity is that the defense has sucked the last 5 years and CCK has had a hand in it the entire time. We've had other times when the defense would look decent for a time and then fall apart again. From what I can tell, CCK is a good recruiter, so maybe he can go back to special teams, where he was when Tenuta was here. At best, he's unproven as a DC. He can be a candidate for DC, but I don't want to settle for him unless money really is a problem.

The D has appeared better. Are you saying that looking good against Presbytarian should have kept Al Groh the job? It's a body of work. USC is a throwing team and their qb looked awful, throwing the ball 5 ft. over open receivers. Are you questioning that? To tell the truth, they weren't very motivated and we were, I just don't know how much credit goes to CCK for it. I do know that he's been an assistant on D for five pretty ööööty years though.

What you seem to be saying is that it is all due to some minor changes on defense and none of it can be attributed to other factors. That's as wrong as saying that the D hasn't looked better.

If it is me I am going to think long and hard about whether I want to put my future potentially/likely in the hands of a new/untested DC such as Kelley or look for someone with much more of a track record as a DC already. Lot of things go into the mix - what my budget is for the hire, what my conversations with Kelley tell me about his philosophies and what he would do, what I think about his recruiting, whether I want to keep the rest of the D staff, etc. etc. But my bet is that in the cold light of tomorrow after the glow of beating a USC team who clearly was on the downside of their season is over, CPJ most likely goes for a more proven commodity given his status and recent record. Wouldn't bother me if Kelley is the pick just giving my opinion.

good post. i think of course you do the due diligence and see who else is out there and what Kelly would do if in charge. i think you also have to include factors like familiarity to the situation and relationship with the players

to me, yes there are good coaches and good players. but good teams come together from a chemistry. the same coach that took one group all the way might only seem average with a team made up of players with a different attitude or ones that may be more complex to motivate

as i said before, i think in college motivation is more important than scheme or technique. additionally, Kelly isnt stranded on an island. if he wants to involve other coaches he could

im not saying hire the guy tomorrow. im saying he has a few strong factors in his favor, imo

I agree that a 1 year contract is the way to go. Pay him a DC salary and tell him you like what he's done but wants to see it over a whole season. CCK would do it, as its been reported that he'd stay on even if he wasn't named DC(which I personally think would cause a huge divide among the assistants and defensive players).

I say you hire the guy. He knows GT and knows what to pitch about it to recruits. The guy at least deserves a shot. I think assistants get 1 year deals a lot of the time anyway, especially first time coordinators.

I agree that a 1 year contract is the way to go. Pay him a DC salary and tell him you like what he's done but wants to see it over a whole season. CCK would do it, as its been reported that he'd stay on even if he wasn't named DC(which I personally think would cause a huge divide among the assistants and defensive players).

I say you hire the guy. He knows GT and knows what to pitch about it to recruits. The guy at least deserves a shot. I think assistants get 1 year deals a lot of the time anyway, especially first time coordinators.

FWIW - in one year IF it hasn't worked you would then have CPJ running out his contract with realistically one year of life left on his deal. That is not the time or circumstances for trying to bring in the guy to fix things. Point being you can't really think of this as a one year trial period with no harm no foul if it doesn't work. This hire better work for CPJ given his contract status. No trials, no feel good hires, no sentimentality. For CPJ this one better work.

Yep--he deserves a shot--last 2 games I saw the best D in 3 years.

FWIW - in one year IF it hasn't worked you would then have CPJ running out his contract with realistically one year of life left on his deal. That is not the time or circumstances for trying to bring in the guy to fix things. Point being you can't really think of this as a one year trial period with no harm no foul if it doesn't work. This hire better work for CPJ given his contract status. No trials, no feel good hires, no sentimentality. For CPJ this one better work.

Exactly. If it doesn't work, CPJ's going to be gone and that is why using a two game sample is idiotic. The people who are placing so much emphasis on a game and a half were probably just as over-excited after the defense looked decent the first two games of the season.

Didn't see it posted that Randy Shannon is the new LB coach at R-Kansas. Some of y'all wanted him as DC, but this move may let us know how he's though of in coaching circles.

For him to not land a DC job somewhere is weird.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/

What was he teaching them before we played UGA? Or did you all forget that game.

I think that the thinking is he took over mid-year and just had to keep the ship pointed downstream. When given the chance to actually scheme a game and teach the kids some new things, he did very well. Granted USC's QB looked crappy, but I think at least some of that was how we were disguising schemes against a freshman QB. The announcers for the game must've mentioned it 10 times, how we were disguising our coverages, trying to knock their routes off balance and generally being a nuisance on defense. We only rushed three guys pretty much the whole game, and we obviously saw something on film that made us do that (and practice swatting passes). We blocked 5-6 passes at the line.

Yeah, like getting rid of Mike Sewak. Guy is worthless.

I don't object to this, but I do wonder - who do we get to replace him? Do we need someone familiar with the CPJ system to coach O Line, or will anyone do?

I don't think CPJ is going to get rid of Sewak because they go a long way back, and because we weren't terrible offensively this season.

On Kelley ..

As I said earlier, I'm not totally sold, but I'm certainly willing to admit that he is no downgrade from Groh, he appears by all available measures to be better than Groh, and we get him for cheaper. He may not be the ultimate 'answer' we're looking for, but honestly, who is? When you put him up side by side vs anyone else we could potentially chase to replace him, Kelley wins out given the circumstances.

Kelley bashers: Who's better that we could get? Randy Shannon? Underperformed with better talent. Name someone else.

I don't object to this, but I do wonder - who do we get to replace him? Do we need someone familiar with the CPJ system to coach O Line, or will anyone do?

I don't think CPJ is going to get rid of Sewak because they go a long way back, and because we weren't terrible offensively this season.

We really need someone who can come in and teach our guys how pass set out of the pistol/spread formation along with the option blocking scheme variation. Tall task. Only reason I would consider doing Co-OL and keeping Sewak

Look, if you didn't see that the wind bothered Wittek, you're the moron.

I don't think it was the wind, just really bad throws. The way he zipped the ball to the receivers, the wind wouldn't have that much of an affect. Sure a few inches could be the difference between a diving catch and an incompletion, but Wittek was throwing the ball 5 feet over the head of the receivers.

Plus I don't think Wittek could read the defense. Several times he threw right into the coverage because he couldn't keep track of all the blue shirts.

I don't think it was the wind, just really bad throws. The way he zipped the ball to the receivers, the wind wouldn't have that much of an affect. Sure a few inches could be the difference between a diving catch and an incompletion, but Wittek was throwing the ball 5 feet over the head of the receivers.

Plus I don't think Wittek could read the defense. Several times he threw right into the coverage because he couldn't keep track of all the blue shirts.

The wind must have affected Wittek. I think Gary Danielson mentioned it a couple of times. Actually, he wouldn't shutup about it.

Back