Kelly is our next DC

I hear what you're saying but that stuff is highly overrated. Players loved Ted Roof too. I'm just saying that there are more proven guys that we can go get before promoting a guy after 1 1/2 good games.

Fortunately CPJ has known him for more than 1 1/2 games I guess!

You would? Why? Based on 6 quarters of football? "All you see is what there is". I'm not saying CCK would be bad but all of the above guys have more play-calling experience and better numbers than CCK.

I was just responding to your earlier call for names. I gave you names and I can give you numbers to back it up.

We'll see what happens?

Kelly has a half season advantage ahead of all of these people. Also has a number of years of recruiting experience at Tech and knows what's up. Honestly I still think the best option here is hire Kelly on a one year contract, and we'll go from there. Also nothing we say is going to impact the decision anyway.

I understand why Tech fans might not want CK, but if I may give my ignorant opinion of a player who played for a while. There is a connect to players who have total respect for a coach and wants to play their a$$es of for them. I hated my position coaches in Houston and Buffalo but had the eternal desire to succeed. I would only hope that these players feel a great sense of respect for CK and their play shows that. Maybe he's the guy maybe not, I don't have a dog in the fight. I just want to see what I saw yesterday EVERYDAY next year and if it's CK then great.

Sorry got into Svedka a little early.

I understand why Tech fans might not want CK, but if I may give my ignorant opinion of a player who played for a while. There is a connect to players who have total respect for a coach and wants to play their a$$es of for them. I hated my position coaches in Houston and Buffalo but had the eternal desire to succeed. I would only hope that these players feel a great sense of respect for CK and their play shows that. Maybe he's the guy maybe not, I don't have a dog in the fight. I just want to see what I saw yesterday EVERYDAY next year and if it's CK then great.

Sorry got into Svedka a little early.

Thanks. That's also the impression I got from Rod's shout-out and from other D-players' comments. They want to play hard for him.

I also think what scat and others are saying about a proven DC makes sense, but once you have "audition" in the air, it's hard to say that you expected CCK to have better results if he was gonna get the job.

Oh and although Svedka isn't technically clear whiskey, it's clear something. So, like all the fine good fellows, drink, or something like that.

THWG

The only problem I saw in the USC game was that we got no pressure on Wittek. We would rush only 3 and everyone else would drop back. Wittek had forever to pass, but luckily he sucked. There was also some dropped passes by USC as well.

So I'm not completely sold on Kelly either, but definitely getting the job done better than Groh.

The only problem I saw in the USC game was that we got no pressure on Wittek. We would rush only 3 and everyone else would drop back. Wittek had forever to pass, but luckily he sucked. There was also some dropped passes by USC as well.

So I'm not completely sold on Kelly either, but definitely getting the job done better than Groh.

That 3 man rush was by design. This is the same approach (ND the tape that CCK studied) took towards Wittak

What? I thought we did exactly what we wanted to do. I don't think we expected to get a lot of sacks with a 3-man rush against 5 OL. We still did a pretty good job controlling the pocket and closing-off passing lanes.

He completed 14 of 37 passes (38%) for 107 yds (2.9ypa). Against ND he completed 14 of 23 (61%) for 186 yds (8ypa). Maybe some of that was the wind, but I think our D was doing a good job in messing with his pre-snap reads, changing up coverages, and controlling the pocket.

He's only a RS Fr, but he doesn't suck. Coming out of HS rivals ranked him as a 4* and no 3 QB of the 2011 class.

i am typically in favor of giving a guy that has the buy-in from the players a chance over an "experienced" outside hire. motivation is more important than technique in college football imo, and the defense has played with more fire in these 6 quarters than all the previous quarters of the season.

i also think you risk a small negative reaction from the players if you go with an outside guy, although this is much more serious if CCK were to decide to take a job elsewhere (which i dont see as too likely)

i am typically in favor of giving a guy that has the buy-in from the players a chance over an "experienced" outside hire.

Exactly. Chan Gailey was an experienced outside hire, wasn't he?

You would? Why? Based on 6 quarters of football? "All you see is what there is". I'm not saying CCK would be bad but all of the above guys have more play-calling experience and better numbers than CCK.

I was just responding to your earlier call for names. I gave you names and I can give you numbers to back it up.

We'll see what happens?
Completely agree.

Exactly. Chan Gailey was an experienced outside hire, wasn't he?

I agree with Czar's sentiment. We went outside on B--- L---- too over George OLeary.

I'm all for Charles Kelly getting the job. He's earned it as one of our best assistants even pre Paul Johnson. He's always been solid in my opinion. That said, I would like PJ to make changes to other assistants. I wouldn't mind seeing a house cleaning with some assistants.

I agree with Czar's sentiment. We went outside on B--- L---- too over George OLeary.

I'm all for Charles Kelly getting the job. He's earned it as one of our best assistants even pre Paul Johnson. He's always been solid in my opinion. That said, I would like PJ to make changes to other assistants. I wouldn't mind seeing a house cleaning with some assistants.

Yeah, like getting rid of Mike Sewak. Guy is worthless.

my comment was made with coordinator and position coaches and not head coaches in mind; the guys that work with the players every day

if you take a guy that has worked intensely with the players and they respond and then they see him being rewarded for that success - well, i see that as very strong motivation for them to be successful so that they can get their reward

head coaching changes are more complicated. often i do think you have to go to an outside guy in those situations.

Here's CPJ's dilemma. If he keeps CK and he flops, he might not see 2014. A new DC might buy him a year or two more. Another .500 or worse season and CPJ will be looking at walking papers.

I'm not convinced the D was that much better the last 6 quarters. If you're watching the Orange Bowl, you can see that FSU isn't exactly an offensive power house and the wind screwed with Wittek big time. We thought they looked good in the VT game until we found out how inept the VT offense was. The larger sample shows this as an anomaly.

Here's CPJ's dilemma. If he keeps CK and he flops, he might not see 2014. A new DC might buy him a year or two more. Another .500 or worse season and CPJ will be looking at walking papers.

i dont buy this argument. i dont think a new DC buys him any more leeway at all. its his choice, live with the result regardless of the choice he makes

kelly would also be a "new" DC, why doesnt he buy PJ an extra year or two? i dont see that argument as being logical at all

I think CPJ will be at GT through his contract no matter what. GT gambled on his strategy and I bet we see it through to whatever end may come. The wild card will be the new AD and the relationship or lack of relationship he has with CPJ.

If you're watching the Orange Bowl, you can see that FSU isn't exactly an offensive power house and the wind screwed with Wittek big time. We thought they looked good in the VT game until we found out how inept the VT offense was. The larger sample shows this as an anomaly.

ok, good analysis, mr negative nancy.

the wind? what number was he wearing for us? your comments are stupid and negative for no reason. and did i say stupid? seriously, The Wind? is that some dude from the WWE that we signed just before the game or is he of Native American descent?

Making the tackle for Georgia Tech, The Wind, number 00 (pronounced AUGHT AUGHT but like an eagle scream)

Scoring Offense

raw adj Team rec Offense Defense
2 1. Oregon 11-1 52.69 [ 1] 18.64 [ 19]
5 2. Baylor 8-5 49.15 [ 2] 30.17 [ 76]
3 3. Texas A&M 10-2 48.79 [ 3] 19.80 [ 24]
1 4. Louisiana Tech 9-3 48.39 [ 4] 41.19 [119]
4 5. Oklahoma St 7-5 44.72 [ 5] 22.74 [ 36]
6 6. Clemson 10-2 43.79 [ 6] 27.64 [ 64]
7 7. Kansas St 11-1 43.43 [ 7] 15.47 [ 10]
11 8. Oklahoma 10-2 42.96 [ 8] 17.71 [ 17]
13 9. West Virginia 7-6 42.50 [ 9] 32.31 [ 91]
14 10. Alabama 12-1 41.26 [ 10] 8.01 [ 1]
18 11. Georgia 11-2 40.92 [ 11] 18.05 [ 18]
17 12. Arizona 8-5 39.78 [ 12] 30.37 [ 78]
15 13. Arizona St 8-5 39.73 [ 13] 22.84 [ 37]
22 14. Texas 9-4 39.73 [ 14] 22.45 [ 35]
29 15. Tennessee 5-7 38.76 [ 15] 34.12 [100]
25 16. Texas Tech 8-5 37.86 [ 16] 25.05 [ 50]
33 17. Southern Cal 7-5 37.86 [ 17] 20.26 [ 26]
24 18. Nebraska 10-3 37.80 [ 18] 26.09 [ 55]
10 19. Florida St 11-2 36.99 [ 19] 17.45 [ 16]
21 20. Ohio State 12-0 36.59 [ 20] 23.20 [ 41]
31 21. UCLA 9-5 36.56 [ 21] 23.12 [ 40]
37 22. Oregon St 9-4 36.41 [ 22] 16.16 [ 11]
8 23. North Carolina 8-4 36.20 [ 23] 30.27 [ 77]
16 24. Fresno St 9-4 35.48 [ 24] 24.58 [ 47]
9 25. Northern Illinois 12-1 35.22 [ 25] 24.69 [ 49]

http://www.sports-ratings.com/college_football/score-stats-offense.html

I think CPJ will be at GT through his contract no matter what. GT gambled on his strategy and I bet we see it through to whatever end may come. The wild card will be the new AD and the relationship or lack of relationship he has with CPJ.

IF we go 6-6 or worse next year, he'll be gone. It's all on performance. Attendance was really bad toward the end of the year and based upon most of the last 3 years, it seems that are strategy is failing.

Back