Kelly is our next DC

Another question- will the interim AD oversee the hire? How much input will he have? I think this will be important moreso on the contract side.

Affordable: Spaz, ND State DC, Poach from another top 50 program, Giff Smith

Out there: Del Rio, Lovie Smith, Top 10 DC

Well, it is up to cpj, but I hope we don't end up losing CCK in whatever capacity.

No matter who we go after, money should not be a problem because we have not, in reality, had to pay for an OC since 2001,

Unless PJ thinks he can get a sure-fire homerun DC pick (which we probably all thought Groh would be), he'll strongly consider Kelly.

I wonder if Kelly would stick with a 1-gap 3-4, or if he'd try to switch to a 4-3.

We abandoned the 2 gap the day Groh was fired. PJ said he never wanted to see it again in the press conference.

Do you think dressing his daughter as Buzz was putting too fine a point on that desire?
No I don't. I think that was not so much campaigning as it was a show of genuine fondness for Tech. Personally, I think this guy is the real deal.

We abandoned the 2 gap the day Groh was fired. PJ said he never wanted to see it again in the press conference.

Thank goodness. At first I thought we didn't have the horses to run 3-4, but a 1-gap variant can actually be effective.

Groh is gone.

Sewak needs to get gone. Who has he recruited and brought on board...seriously? I honestly don't know but haven't seen him listed as being a player's primary recruiter on Signing Day.

That leaves TWO new available hires.

I'm fine with CCK as our new DC. We need to pick up two new assistant coaches who have excellent recruiting ties and recruiting ability.

Groh is gone.

Sewak needs to get gone. Who has he recruited and brought on board...seriously? I honestly don't know but haven't seen him listed as being a player's primary recruiter on Signing Day.

That leaves TWO new available hires.

I'm fine with CCK as our new DC. We need to pick up two new assistant coaches who have excellent recruiting ties and recruiting ability.

I understand the concern over our OL coaching. However, I suspect that Sewak also serves as CPJ's eyes upstairs. A lot of CPJ's strength is play calling to counter what the D is trying to do, and I wouldn't be surprised if he relies a good deal on the years of communication and trust developed with Sewak.

Lance Guidry
Geoff Collins
Brent Pry
Mike Elko
Pete Rekstis
Tyrone Nix
Greg Hudson

I'd rather have Kelly over any of those people. Kelly is the man for the job.

I'd rather have Kelly over any of those people. Kelly is the man for the job.

You would? Why? Based on 6 quarters of football? "All you see is what there is". I'm not saying CCK would be bad but all of the above guys have more play-calling experience and better numbers than CCK.

I was just responding to your earlier call for names. I gave you names and I can give you numbers to back it up.

We'll see what happens?

You would? Why?

Lance Guidry - name sounds too french, needs to coach at LSU or at Virginia

Geoff Collins - NEVER trust anyone who spells the name Jeff this way!

Brent Pry - way too nosy (for obvious reasons)

Mike Elko - sounds too much like Marc Echo

Pete Rekstis - Clearly, this guy thinks hes the king - too much ego

Tyrone Nix - NO MORE COACHES NAMED NIX!

Greg Hudson - Greg "Rock" Hudson.. hmmm, not in OUR locker room!

That and the fact that the kids are familiar with him and appear to like him.

I hear what you're saying but that stuff is highly overrated. Players loved Ted Roof too. I'm just saying that there are more proven guys that we can go get before promoting a guy after 1 1/2 good games.

Lance Guidry - name sounds too french, needs to coach at LSU or at Virginia

Geoff Collins - NEVER trust anyone who spells the name Jeff this way!

Brent Pry - way too nosy (for obvious reasons)

Mike Elko - sounds too much like Marc Echo

Pete Rekstis - Clearly, this guy thinks hes the king

Tyrone Nix - NO MORE COACHES NAMED NIX!

Greg Hudson - Greg "Rock" Hudson.. hmmm, not in OUR locker room!

Pretty funny I must admit.

Kelly will and should be a candidate. If he doesn't get chosen we might be well served to let him be associate HC/Recruiting coordinator. If we choose someone else I would like to see them have a chance to fill the other coaching spots on D. I think the guy was able to improve our D but the way we were playing at times with Groh almost anything was an improvement.

You would? Why? Based on 6 quarters of football?
Al Groh didn't have 6 quarters as good as the last six the entire time he was here so I wouldn't dismiss it so fast. And that was without our leading tackler and our best linebacker out for the last two quarters.

Kelly's game plan against USC was really quite good.

I'm not on the 'hire Kelly' bandwagon but neither am I on the 'don't hire Kelly' bandwagon. But I haven't been this impressed with our defense since Tenuta was here.

Back