Kelly is our next DC

I don't know if I would hire kelly for 3 years. I could see a temporary year for him next year. I'm not sold on him being the right choice, but he doesn't seem like the wrong choice either.

Great article about the defense and CCK by Winklejohn:
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010113aaa.html

Great article.

Don't underestimate the effect that a coach has on the players, not in the X's and O's, but in the way that players want to succeed for him. You can't just plug-and-play and create that kind of chemistry between players and coach; it either exists or it doesn't. And, with CCK and this Tech team, that chemistry definitely exists.

All I have asked for all year is to see the defense play hard and smart. Under CCK, they seem to be doing that. When the players themselves decide they are going to play hard, that is a result of motivation from the coach.

The ingredients seem to be in place. There may be a few tweeks that need to take place, but the general structure seems to exist. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and yesterday, it definitely wasn't broke.

Anybody posting about UGA or any other game aside from this bowl are going retart. You think you can install a defensive scheme using just the bye week?!?!?

This was the first true test of him as a DC. Yes he had a wind to aid in throwing their QB off. But he also called great run blitzes and it looked like the DL was well schemed against the short pass game.

No one is saying he is an elite DC or will be successful. They are saying he earned the shot to be DC. Also, we don't have any money to afford a high end DC. Instead, we can invest money in an assistant coach who has a lot of energy and is a good recruiter.

Let's see what Kelly gives us.

This is total nonsense. We certainly have the money to go hire someone with a much better DC track record than CCK.

"All you see is what there is" bias in full force on ST.

I think that's what's gonna happen.

Exactly. Hire a DC that has a proven track record of putting of good numbers with less talent, good 3rd down defense, and good negative play numbers (sacks, TFL, turnovers, etc.).

There are plenty of guys out there that have these qualifications that we would be giving a huge pay raise to.

Just wait a öööö minute.

Kelly had less than a week for BYU. This was his first chance with the defense for more than a handful of practices. Not fair for the prior games.

This to me IMO was his true audition. He passed with flying colors.

No idea what you're talking about. Groh got fired after Clemson, we had a bye week, played BC, and then played BYU. That's 3 weeks.

There are plenty of guys out there that have these qualifications that we would be giving a huge pay raise to.

ööööing name them. I want to see some names(of people we can ACTUALLY HIRE) or STFU

imo, a lot of y'all think we're talking about some kind of video game where we can just make a coaching decision without it impacting our players. Clearly, our defensive players want to play for CCK. Winklejohn's published an article on ramblinwreck.com where he says, his "final audition ... went quite well." I can't imagine that CCK isn't named as DC during the next few weeks.

imo, a lot of y'all think we're talking about some kind of video game where we can just make a coaching decision without it impacting our players. Clearly, our defensive players want to play for CCK. Winklejohn's published an article on ramblinwreck.com where he says, his "final audition ... went quite well." I can't imagine that CCK isn't named as DC during the next few weeks.

Exactly. Since we aren't getting a whole new set of players with a new DC, you gotta think CPJ will go with CCK, since it would be no disruption to the players and the gameplan he's been installing.

Since Groh left that freed up a spot in number of coaches allowed, right? So even if CCK gets the DC job which I'm fine with, wouldn't we still possibly hire a position coach or something?

Since Groh left that freed up a spot in number of coaches allowed, right? So even if CCK gets the DC job which I'm fine with, wouldn't we still possibly hire a position coach or something?

I still expect some turnover in the staff even if CCK is kept on at DC.

We can go ahead and get the 2nd OL coach that we've been missing this year. (I kid, I kid)

Exactly. Since we aren't getting a whole new set of players with a new DC, you gotta think CPJ will go with CCK, since it would be no disruption to the players and the gameplan he's been installing.
Kelly has shown in the last 2 games that his scheme will worth against teams with a lot of offensive talent, our players have shown they love to play for Kelly, our players play with a lot of emotion and confidence when playing for Kelly, PJ and Kelly are on the same page with defense play, Kelly is here and knows our shortcomings with the Hill and recruiting, Kelly wants a shot at this job in the worse way, Kelly will accept a trial contract to prove himself further.
If anyone needs more reasons to give Kelly a shot, then u must indeed be a complete dumb butt.

Unless PJ thinks he can get a sure-fire homerun DC pick (which we probably all thought Groh would be), he'll strongly consider Kelly.

I wonder if Kelly would stick with a 1-gap 3-4, or if he'd try to switch to a 4-3.

Kelly has shown in the last 2 games that his scheme will worth against teams with a lot of offensive talent, our players have shown they love to play for Kelly, our players play with a lot of emotion and confidence when playing for Kelly, PJ and Kelly are on the same page with defense play, Kelly is here and knows our shortcomings with the Hill and recruiting, Kelly wants a shot at this job in the worse way, Kelly will accept a trial contract to prove himself further.
If anyone needs more reasons to give Kelly a shot, then u must indeed be a complete dumb butt.

Do you think dressing his daughter as Buzz was putting too fine a point on that desire?

Unless PJ thinks he can get a sure-fire homerun DC pick (which we probably all thought Groh would be), he'll strongly consider Kelly.

I wonder if Kelly would stick with a 1-gap 3-4, or if he'd try to switch to a 4-3.

Probably go to a 4 man front as base but since there are so many Spread Teams in the ACC we probably a Multiple D

As long as Speed and Kelly are on the coaching list as assistants I should be happy

So you think we should keep trying the 2 assistants who have been there while 2 DC's were fired? Good plan. I'm not sold on Kelly, however, with CPJ needing results next year it might not be the worse move. It will keep us out of a long term contract that a more established DC might be able to command. That would make it easier to pull the trigger on the head man next year if we need to.

You guys are all nuts! I guess you forgot about the 40+ UGA and BYU put on us and the 50+ that UNC put on us. But we played good vs. a backup QB throwing in 30mph winds and a team that didn't want to be there so we should hire Kelly??? Silly talk.

7 of those 50 were thanks to Vad.

Just sayin,

Back