Lack of talent on D

Recruiting seems fine this year. I havent paid attention, but are we not landing some players we would need on D?

Alabam has like three injured guy and that all you hear about during the broadcast (their 5 star backups are underperforming). We lost like a whole defense.

Anyone who chose to think instead of wish could see that this team would take a miracle to keep the bowl streak active. When JT came out better than expected we had hope, but anyone thinking could see that the defense was beyond dreadful. Not a D capable of winning the ACC, no matter how good the O was.

Few people are using their brain still. The coaches have done a great job to put us at 5-2 considering the offseason from hell we had. The offense looks good, and we could be very good the next few years. Recruiting is going well.

Im no roof apologist. 33 and people who understand football have made some excellent criticisms of this years scheme. 71% is unacceptable, period. Period. If he doesnt try something different, i will be very sad. I am tired of seeing the linebackers hopping around defending space. Thats useless. Play man and bring the house tenuta style. Only one guy has to make a play. If you get burned, so the öööö what.

Having said that, i simply cannot use my brain and evaluate the whole picture and be unhappy with PJ. If he wants to fire roof and break in a new guy fine. If he thinks like i do that the offseason from hell was too much to ask roof to singlehandedly fix then fine.

We need to get another win or two. We need the bowl practice. And dont be afraid to burn redshirts imho.

Guys, you can tell yourselves differently as long as you like, but the system that helps us move the ball on O, even with marginal talent, also is the system that is used very effectively to dissuade even defensive players from coming to Tech. They are told over and over about seeing that O run in spring, and how they will see limited practice against well run "NFL" type offenses. is this bull? yes, but it does work.

I have not wanted to believe this, but it has become a fact. It is true. 1 coach telling a recruit something and 15 others telling him differently is not working for us.

And who is to say, at this point, it is not true?

What are the results on the field showing?

Golden and Nealy are talented. So are Gotsis and Green. Freeman is good too, only he shouldn't be starting for another two years. This off season just killed us. Our secondary isn't bad, we just have zero pass rush because we have no depth On DL and a guy at DE who doesn't even shave every day.

I have not wanted to believe this, but it has become a fact. It is true. 1 coach telling a recruit something and 15 others telling him differently is not working for us.

And who is to say, at this point, it is not true?

What are the results on the field showing?

It's definitely true. It's also true that I think we just have to live with that and get them to come to GT anyway. And I think that's what roof pelton joe Hamilton and company are doing.

Last year was supposed to be our great year. This year was supposed to be a struggle. I still preach patience.

Our recruiting hasn't dropped off from where it was under Gailey. When I see Freeman I imagine what "Stick" would have looked like playing every down his freshman year.

The truth is we have 4 games coming up that are still winnable just as they are lose able.

Just like we all were saying, the team is proving they can beat and lose to every team on the schedule. I'm just upset that I sold off my butthurt shares prior to this game. No longer warren butthurt.

if anyone noticed..Number 44 for UNC was committed then was disallowed at the last minute from coming to GT for academic reasons..that big DE for Arkansas was also a last minute GT decommit (he's about to get the SEC career sack title)..add in Tuitt and a couple other "almosts" and you have quite a unit.

There's a big difference between being inexperienced and/or lack of depth, and poor scheming. One leads to flashes of obvious talent and fourth qtr melt downs. The other leads to 6 outta 7 drives resulting in TDs.

We actually do have D-1 talent (although we are playing a DE who wouldn't start for Buford). A lot of coaches could build a D around Gostis, Green, Nealy, Golden, White, and Milton. Yes, they would suffer lapses due to inexperience and 4th qtr melt downs due to lack of depth, but they would look much different than what we are seeing.

Love CTR, but he's gotta try something different which amounts to gambling more. This gives us "some" chance vs sure death. He also needs to get down on the sidelines and show some BMF fire, except with brains.

Patience has to have a basis to be warranted. When the O scores in the öööö 40's and gains 600+ yards, and you lose, where's the basis?

The game I saw last night was lost by our defense. But what was disappointing to me was the fact that the Austin twins did not see the field. It appeared in our new 4-2-5 scheme that the nickel DB could not tackle in space. I thought in the first few games that the Austin twins tackled well in space.

I wonder why we are not letting them (Austins) see the field.

UNC is a different team with just Williams playing QB. They put up 43 against Notre Dame in South Bend.

It's too bad Fedora got out of his own way and dumped the 2 QB system that's as leading to offensive ineptitude. Yes the defense isn't great especially at the line but that was probably the best offensive team we've faced and will face.

I don't know about this. We might have said that about Duke also. I'm starting to feel like VT and Miami might have been the worst offenses we've faced and will face all this year.

I'm with coit on this topic. We had a really bad offseason and now we're paying for it.

With healthy receivers and Mitchell, ugag will be the best O we face this year. Their O-line is better than UNC's.

Yes the defense isn't great especially at the line but that was probably the best offensive team we've faced and will face.

Well I wish this were true, but we still will have to play Clemson and UGA.

UNC with just Williams playing QB is the best offense

Clemson will not have Watson.

UNC is a different team with just Williams playing QB. They put up 43 against Notre Dame in South Bend.

It's too bad Fedora got out of his own way and dumped the 2 QB system that's as leading to offensive ineptitude. Yes the defense isn't great especially at the line but that was probably the best offensive team we've faced and will face.

UGAG will be able to score at will, does anyone think otherwise?

Golden and Nealy are talented. So are Gotsis and Green. Freeman is good too, only he shouldn't be starting for another two years. This off season just killed us. Our secondary isn't bad, we just have zero pass rush because we have no depth On DL and a guy at DE who doesn't even shave every day.

Golden is a great playmaker, but fairly average in the grand scheme of things as a safety. Nealy is a solid player, as is Gostis. Green is terrible. Freeman might be good in a few years.

Guys, you can tell yourselves differently as long as you like, but the system that helps us move the ball on O, even with marginal talent, also is the system that is used very effectively to dissuade even defensive players from coming to Tech. They are told over and over about seeing that O run in spring, and how they will see limited practice against well run "NFL" type offenses. is this bull? yes, but it does work.
Well, these were all things roundly discussed at the time of Paul Johnson's hiring. If they are, in fact, things that, in addition to all the other recruiting challenges we have always had, do exist, then why did we hire him? And if now we see that the offensive system not only discourages qb, and RB, and TE and offensive lineman and WR's from choosing Tech, but also is a negative for getting defensive players into school, why do we keep this coach? Why does Ted Roof come home, knowing he will never be able to get the talent needed to be a decent defense? Are we stupid, or masochists,or both? As a program we have some difficult questions to answer about what kind of team we want to be in the future. It seems to me we are precariously teetering between middle tier and last tier in our conference. The weaker teams of the last few years are moving up, like UVA and Duke and Boston College and Pittsburgh. We are gravitating to the Syracuse, NCST and Wake Forest level. If we want to adopt a 7 or 8 win season as our ultimate goal, as UVA announced a couple of years ago, then I think we have our Mike London "perfect fit" guy. If we want to move into range of Clempsen, FSU, Louisville, and VPI and Miami in their better days, then we are going to have make a change.

We do have subpar talent on defense, that is not the only problem.

Back