Lack of talent on D

Yes the defense isn't great especially at the line but that was probably the best offensive team we've faced and will face.

Watson is supposed to be back for CU by the time we play them. If so, we can expect to give up 45+. And have you watched UGA?

Is there an echo in here?

speak-up-i-can-t-hear-you-19619820.jpg

Even our talented guys don't seem to know proper tackling form.

I bet if we just did nothing but practice tackling all day every day for a week our defense would become twice as good as they are now.

Players play and coaches coach. The players did not make the plays we needed to win the game last night. We have to continue to develop what we have and hope we have more and better players coming in the future.

Go Jackets!

Players play and coaches coach. The players did not make the plays we needed to win the game last night. We have to continue to develop what we have and hope we have more and better players coming in the future.

Go Jackets!

If only we had more posters like JJ!

Even our talented guys don't seem to know proper tackling form.

I bet if we just did nothing but practice tackling all day every day for a week our defense would become twice as good as they are now.

Nope. If they practiced speed all week they wouldn't be any faster. Same with tackling. Ya got it or you don't. Burnett for example was a tackling machine when he got off da bus---we taught him nothing about how to tackle. Ever see Roof tackle as a freshman? Willie Clay? Reginald Rutland? Any member of the Swilling or Rhino families?

Tackling is hardly the only issue. You look at other college teams and it's not like they make every open-field tackle.

I look at the OL of the other team and it seems like they're playing a video game. Usually RB's are the one's playing video games on the field, but our DL is easily stuffed for many seconds.

Nope. If they practiced speed all week they wouldn't be any faster. Same with tackling. Ya got it or you don't. Burnett for example was a tackling machine when he got off da bus---we taught him nothing about how to tackle. Ever see Roof tackle as a freshman? Willie Clay? Reginald Rutland? Any member of the Swilling or Rhino families?

I don't think tackling is an inherent skill. Proper technique must be taught and learned. If one assumes these players were taught at some level, either pop warner or middle school, then they must be choosing not to wrap up and drive through the ball carrier. The other possible explanation is being out of position. In addition to lack of tackling, I see a lack of scraping off blocks and no swim technique, knockdowns, or bull rush from the DL.

Don't you guys know that once you reach a certain age you have to rant about poor tackling skills. It is part of life.

I don't know about this. We might have said that about Duke also. I'm starting to feel like VT and Miami might have been the worst offenses we've faced and will face all this year.

I'm with coit on this topic. We had a really bad offseason and now we're paying for it.

Miami's offense is one of the best we'll face all year I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think tackling is an inherent skill. Proper technique must be taught and learned. If one assumes these players were taught at some level, either pop warner or middle school, then they must be choosing not to wrap up and drive through the ball carrier. The other possible explanation is being out of position. In addition to lack of tackling, I see a lack of scraping off blocks and no swim technique, knockdowns, or bull rush from the DL.

If it was that simple to tackle, then you wouldn't see missed tackles at other schools. But you see them all the time.

You can't just sit there and wait for the ball-carrier to come to you. Let's say you told me to tackle USC-era Reggie Bush. I could know all the tackling technique in the world, but my slow white ass will be pretty hopeless.

Often, defenses don't do a true open-field tackle but instead the first guy has to slow the runner down. Then there would be support to bring them down after a few yards.

For us, if our DL is getting pushed around like it is, then the Arab* is not going to be impeded by the DL. LB's need to come in run support and/or blitz, opening up passes to the flat which gashed us.

* Autocorrect for RB, but I'll leave it.

We don't have it up front. The lack of pressure up front puts more pressure on our secondary. We play a very passive style of defense -Roof feels this is his best option for success.

I was screaming to blitz more last night, but I trust that Roof knows what's best for his defense more so than I do.

After last night some May question that thought, but I have faith the guy knows how to best use the talent, or lack of talent, he's got to work with.

The D has looked good and bad at times --usually during the same game. Last night was bad 100%. This team lost a lot to attrition --we knew this coming into the season. It was painfully on display last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was that simple to tackle, then you wouldn't see missed tackles at other schools. But you see them all the time.

You can't just sit there and wait for the ball-carrier to come to you. Let's say you told me to tackle USC-era Reggie Bush. I could know all the tackling technique in the world, but my slow white ass will be pretty hopeless.

Often, defenses don't do a true open-field tackle but instead the first guy has to slow the runner down. Then there would be support to bring them down after a few yards.

For us, if our DL is getting pushed around like it is, then the Arab* is not going to be impeded by the DL. LB's need to come in run support and/or blitz, opening up passes to the flat which gashed us.

* Autocorrect for RB, but I'll leave it.

But we don't have a bunch of slow white ass floridajackets on our team. If you were fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time to tackle Reggie Bush, proper technique would take him down, dislodge the ball, or at least slow him down long enough for the D to swarm. You may leave the field broken in half, but you would have executed a form tackle.

I don't know about this. We might have said that about Duke also. I'm starting to feel like VT and Miami might have been the worst offenses we've faced and will face all this year.

I'm with coit on this topic. We had a really bad offseason and now we're paying for it.

I think Miami's O is better than Duke's O. But Duke's O plays to our weaknesses. VT's O is putrid. I mean, a three days dead whore's vagina putrid.

We suck at stopping the read option because we have no DL depth. At least it looks like Roof has corrected our complete crappiness at stopping the hurry up. Snapping the ball with more than 15 seconds on the play clock was money against us the last two years.

I categorically disagree with this. Tackling form can be coached.

I don't think tackling is our only problem, but if we just tackled well, then our "bend don't break" wouldn't be a "bend until they score 7" quite so often.

Tackling can absolutely be taught. Had we wrapped up at first contact on several of those bubble screens we could have turned 2 of those TD into field goals.

UGAG will be able to score at will, does anyone think otherwise?

I agree with your statement, and if anyone thinks otherwise then I'd like to know the reasoning for it. Please rebut with facts, not hope, change, etc.

Back