Last Day of Paul Johnson as our coach

johncu

Dodd-Like
Fake news.

TTU fans never wanted Leach to leave. His administration wanted him gone not the fans.
You're wrong. Just like there has always been a set of Tech fans who hated Paul Johnson, TTU had fans that hated Leach. Neither was anywhere close to a majority, but both were loud and thought they had more support than they did. Big 12 style football was not a thing yet and they thought his offense was a gimmick. He would never be able to recruit at a high level and he could come across as abrasive sometimes. Even in his best season, he had 2 losses and didn't win his conference. Sound familiar?

FWIW I'd take Mike Leach in a heartbeat. He and PJ have been top 5 offensive coaches in football for the past 15-20 years.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
Please explain why TPR left the incoming HC with a roster full of Recruiting Classes outside the Top25(honestly, outside the Top50), after all recruiting is 80% of what makes P5 Coaches successful, so why didn't TPR recruit better

Please answer without talking about what GT doesn't have
Calculus
A
K
U
L
U
S

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
You're wrong. Just like there has always been a set of Tech fans who hated Paul Johnson, TTU had fans that hated Leach. Neither was anywhere close to a majority, but both were loud and thought they had more support than they did. Big 12 style football was not a thing yet and they thought his offense was a gimmick. He would never be able to recruit at a high level and he could come across as abrasive sometimes. Even in his best season, he had 2 losses and didn't win his conference. Sound familiar?

FWIW I'd take Mike Leach in a heartbeat. He and PJ have been top 5 offensive coaches in football for the past 15-20 years.
Big 12 style football wasnt a thing yet in 2009? Are you retarded?

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
This board is gonna be real fun when some of these people realize what “normal” offenses look like with recruiting classes outside the Top 25. Hopefully our OC hire knocks it out of the park. He’s gonna need to for our offense to be remotely close to the numbers CPJ put up here.
Looking at just P5 schools, there are plenty of teams tearing it up with "normal" offenses without regularly bringing in top 25 classes: West Virginia, Oklahoma State, NC State, Missouri, Syracuse, etc. Just because Gailey's offense was a dud doesn't mean Paul Johnson's offense is the only way for us to win games.

Hell, offense itself is only one component of winning games. I'll cherish the memories of CPJ's time here, but I'm also looking forward to seeing us get back to having some semblance of a defense.

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
Tell the truth

The real reason you like him is because the other P5 FB Program in the State was never competing head-to-head with your beloved Mutts for the State's elite Recruits

Well, I got news for you, that's about change big-time, all hail Coach G
TELL THE TRUTH, YOU'RE AN IDIOT. THE NUMBER ONE REASON I LIKE HIM IS BECAUSE HE BEAT YOUR UGA-ATHENS RECRUITS THREE TIMES AND COACHED AT A SCHOOL THAT WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TEN YEARS AFTER YOUR MUTTS WON THEIR LAST ONE. HUSH-PUPPIES.

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
TELL THE TRUTH, YOU'RE AN IDIOT. THE NUMBER ONE REASON I LIKE HIM IS BECAUSE HE BEAT YOUR UGA-ATHENS RECRUITS THREE TIMES AND COACHED AT A SCHOOL THAT WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TEN YEARS AFTER YOUR MUTTS WON THEIR LAST ONE. HUSH-PUPPIES.
No one gives two flying öööös about Georgia Southern. I'm glad that Johnson won a national championship at that clown college. Did you know Gailey won one in the ööööty football division as well?

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
No one gives two flying öööös about Georgia Southern. I'm glad that Johnson won a national championship at that clown college. Did you know Gailey won one in the ööööty football division as well?
Actually, I did know all that. But, to be honest, I got it second hand from you. Your wife told me, while she was giving lap dances at The Cheetah. You're lucky to be married to her. She's good looking, and a great salesman.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
No we didn't hire him, but he has a "normal college offense" and his recruiting classes are outside the Top25

I simply met your criteria
Is this what picking up sidewalk fans looks like? People who think Leach runs a normal college offense? Sigh.

Leach is one of the few guys I would have been okay firing CPJ for. Also runs an offense designed to be effective without top recruiting classes, and pass-happy is harder to negative-recruit against (for both offensive and defensive recruits).

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Please explain why TPR left the incoming HC with a roster full of Recruiting Classes outside the Top25(honestly, outside the Top50), after all recruiting is 80% of what makes P5 Coaches successful, so why didn't TPR recruit better

Please answer without talking about what GT doesn't have
Wut? You expect Collins to suddenly give us Top 25 classes every year? That would be awesome. And it’s what he needs to do to be as competitive as we’ve been the last decade.

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
Wut? You expect Collins to suddenly give us Top 25 classes every year? That would be awesome. And it’s what he needs to do to be as competitive as we’ve been the last decade.
we need top 25 classes to average 7 wins a year?

Keyser Soze

Likes Staff's Member
Is this what picking up sidewalk fans looks like? People who think Leach runs a normal college offense? Sigh.

Leach is one of the few guys I would have been okay firing CPJ for. Also runs an offense designed to be effective without top recruiting classes, and pass-happy is harder to negative-recruit against (for both offensive and defensive recruits).
TNR Poster you are referring to is either a troll or a moron. TNR Poster doesn't fit the mold of a typical tech fan, but we'll be glad to have him/her/it anyway.

johncu

Dodd-Like
Looking at just P5 schools, there are plenty of teams tearing it up with "normal" offenses without regularly bringing in top 25 classes: West Virginia, Oklahoma State, NC State, Missouri, Syracuse, etc. Just because Gailey's offense was a dud doesn't mean Paul Johnson's offense is the only way for us to win games.

Hell, offense itself is only one component of winning games. I'll cherish the memories of CPJ's time here, but I'm also looking forward to seeing us get back to having some semblance of a defense.
2018 Offensive Efficiency Rankings
WVU - 8
OK State - 28
NC St - 13
Mizzou - 12
Cuse - 52
GT - 17

We had a better offense than 2 of those teams even in a down year for us, and the other 3 have future 1st round draft picks at QB. Not sure if those are fair examples of doing more with less. When we had even a good college QB we were better on offense than any of those teams.

Agree 100% on wanting a better defense, though.

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
2018 Offensive Efficiency Rankings
WVU - 8
OK State - 28
NC St - 13
Mizzou - 12
Cuse - 52
GT - 17

We had a better offense than 2 of those teams even in a down year for us, and the other 3 have future 1st round draft picks at QB. Not sure if those are fair examples of doing more with less. When we had even a good college QB we were better on offense than any of those teams.

Agree 100% on wanting a better defense, though.
Was Johnson the OC or the HC?