lol Big 12

They need to play these off campus games on Saturday. Ridiculous to ask fans to take off work to attend.

Or at the very least let the semifinals be on New Year's day, the way it should be. That should be college football's big day.

Follow the money to the CFP Final 4 year after year after year after year....

Compare this to March Madness where literally anyone can make it (much more compelling television).

But both college football and basketball have to stop playing the National Championship on a freaking Monday. It’s awful. Basketball is an easier fix because there’s no NFL competition on Sunday. Hoops needs to move Championship game to Sunday and college football news to move theirs to Saturday.

There still 20+ tickets available for $47,975 each on StubHub for the 2019 College Football Playoff National Championship. Yes, you read that correctly. Yes, they are available for mobile transfer.

So what if the ticket prices are cratering. They're getting to the levels they should be. Good seats are still going to be expensive, but it shouldn't cost you $1500+ per seat for nosebleeds to see your team play for a championship. Most fans aren't going to have that kind of money to blow on tickets + travel + hotel. I don't think the day of the week has anything to do with it so much as location. There aren't many other places that the game could be played and be farther for both teams. Seattle maybe. Those ticket prices are much more do-able for fans withing reasonable driving distance.

So what if the ticket prices are cratering. They're getting to the levels they should be. Good seats are still going to be expensive, but it shouldn't cost you $1500+ per seat for nosebleeds to see your team play for a championship. Most fans aren't going to have that kind of money to blow on tickets + travel + hotel. I don't think the day of the week has anything to do with it so much as location. There aren't many other places that the game could be played and be farther for both teams. Seattle maybe. Those ticket prices are much more do-able for fans withing reasonable driving distance.

I'd pay it... but I don't know if I'd pay it 2x (Semis and Championship) every year ala Clemson and Bama.

I said when they started the whole college playoffs, having two games back to back to travel to sucks. It just does. The lower seeds should have home games, and then a Super Bowl type venue. And yes, move the damn game to a Saturday. F' the NFL.

Day of the week plus location have a lot to do with it. If the game was Monday in Atlanta for example, most Clemson and Bama fans would probably only take a half day off from work and trip cost would probably be $200 or less . Putting the game on the west coast on a Monday means missing 2 days of work minimum for most fans. If the game is played on Saturday night, maybe you don't miss but 1 day of work or less. Airfare+hotel+food will probably run you over $1500 per person (you probably would take someone with you right?) on top of missed work days because SF isn't cheap and you are booking on one week or less notice. Since you probably took off for the holidays, and traveled to the playoff, taking off again and traveling again really is a negative.

The article clearly states the reasoning as to why the CFP Championship is not played on the following Saturday after the previous Saturday semi-finals. It all comes down to $$$.

Ideally, the CFP would be played on New Years Day -which would place the semis around Christmas Eve, unless you give the teams two weeks off and play the semis on the third weekend of December.

Scrap 2/3 of the bowls and make the Sugar Bowl (or whatever bowls are not being used for a semi-final game) move to 1PM NYDay, let the rose keep it’s 5PM slot, and play the CFPC 8PM NYDay.

The article clearly states the reasoning as to why the CFP Championship is not played on the following Saturday after the previous Saturday semi-finals. It all comes down to $$$.

Ideally, the CFP would be played on New Years Day -which would place the semis around Christmas Eve, unless you give the teams two weeks off and play the semis on the third weekend of December.

Scrap 2/3 of the bowls and make the Sugar Bowl (or whatever bowls are not being used for a semi-final game) move to 1PM NYDay, let the rose keep it’s 5PM slot, and play the CFPC 8PM NYDay.

This, except whether you scrap 2/3 of the bowls is separate argument. No reason why the first round of the playoffs can't happen the weekend before Christmas.

They do it on Monday to placate the NFL and prevent them from saying "F' the NCAA".
I say go for it. I'd be willing to bet that a Saturday college NC game gets better attendance and TV ratings than any NFL wild card game.

If they aren't going to expand the playoffs anytime soon, I say scrap the "bowl" tie-ins for playoff games all together. Give teams one week off after regular season, then have the semis at the higher ranked teams stadium. Rotate the NC to one of the major bowls every year and move it to New Year's Day (night game) so its the last game of the season, and have the rest of the teams (including semifinal losers) in the standard bowl selection process.

I say go for it. I'd be willing to bet that a Saturday college NC game gets better attendance and TV ratings than any NFL wild card game.

Then the NFL decides they want prime time regular season games Sunday and Saturday nights every week. CBS or NBC would be all over that.

Back