Major Donors on Geoff Collins!

whiskey clear

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Major Georgia Tech Donors move expectations for Geoff Collins from .500 and Bowl to 5 wins!

Major Georgia Tech Donors move expectations for Geoff Collins from .500 and Bowl to 5 wins!

From the first Article (3 Sept 2021) on expectation from Major Donors as .500 and bowl game:

“My view of the world is that we ought to win six or seven,” said Steve Zelnak, a Tech grad and prominent donor to the athletic department and institute. “If things go really well, maybe we win eight. Three or four (wins) doesn’t cut it. Even though we’ve got a tough schedule, it’s time to step up and get it done. I’m pretty optimistic.”

Another major athletics donor, Gregg Garrett, said that he talks to as many as two dozen Tech fans daily as the season approaches. “And to the man or woman, they all say the same things,” he said. “It’s time to win. It’s time to move forward with this program. And this is the year we’ve got to do it. It’s universal. And that’s rare to get a universal opinion about anything.” Garrett feels an urgency for the Jackets to reach .500 and qualify for a bowl. He praised the work Collins and his staff have done in recruiting and player development, calling it a “miraculous job.” But he called this a “critical season” for Collins and his staff. “I would put ‘critical’ in capital letters because if we don’t move the program forward this year, then I think that gives a lot of people – whether it’s the fan base, whether it’s recruits, whether it’s opponents – it gives them pause about where we are in this process, and is this process going to work?” Garrett said. “I think in Year 3, recruits want to go somewhere where it’s going to be a successful program, and in Year 3, it’s hard to sell, ‘We’re still rebuilding’ if you’re not winning,” Garrett said. “They want to see the proof in the pudding, so to speak.”

Link - When Season Started Season expectations set by Donors was 6 and Bowl game
Lol. This is just the preamble to buyer’s remorse. When someone makes that big purchase and looks for good reviews to bolster their bad buy….before finally conceding it was a garbage product that broke after limited use.

whiskey clear

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Our major Donors light be super smart and uber Rich from their Corporate Talents and Business savvy, but they are idiots when it comes to CFB.

First of all, they allowed a non passing triple option offense to come to GT FB during an Era when nearby HS FB Talent was producing a lot of future NFL Players, basically telling Local HS Coaches & Recruits that we aren't really serious about P5 CFB, nor helping get you to the NFL.

Second, they turned down an invite to the B1G Ten , keeping GT FB mired in the crappy ACC, with a crappy media presence, such that even if a Recruit grew up loving GT FB, it is damn near impossible to find our Games on TV in an Era where you can find Ga State Games on TV.

Our Major donors allowed GT FB to have it's reputation damaged for 11 straight years, shut up write checks, recruit your friends to write checks and give CGC his 6 years.

Finally, if they were "really major donors", then our Players' Parking Lot would look a lot different with the types of vehicles being parked there.

An SEC "bagman" laughed at donors like these guys in an Article I read, he said STTE, :

"when guys like this contribute thru legit channels with over the table contributions, that money gets spread all around and it spent on stupid stuff like non revenue sports and new paint in the Women's locker rooms, etc, but when me and my network of bagmen are "on our game", we can go out secure the Services of an Elite DT, QB, LT, or any other difference maker on the Field, if we get 5 of those in one Recruiting class, we have impacted the FB Program and the entire Athl Dept. more than those Guys giving out millions , and for a fraction of the Money they donate to the Athl Dept."

Someone needs to tell those major donors that that money would be better spent, finding elite OLs & DLs and giving friends and family of theirs a Job to get them to sign with GT.

At some point we have to play the Game like everyone else, remember Stephon Tuitt.
Final nail in their influence coffins should be pushing for the hiring of an even worse coach than the one you despise so. Gotta be a bitter pill.

PressManCoverage

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Final nail in their influence coffins should be pushing for the hiring of an even worse coach than the one you despise so. Gotta be a bitter pill.
Remember this post when we play in a Bowl this year.

BC, Miami, ND, are all very beatable this year due to weak QB play and weak offenses on their part.

All we have to do is win one among the UVA, VT , & UGA games, plus BC and Miami (I'm projecting wins) and we are at 6 wins and we get 3 weeks of extra practice time.

whiskey clear

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Remember this post when we play in a Bowl this year.

BC, Miami, ND, are all very beatable this year due to weak QB play and weak offenses on their part.

All we have to do is win one among the UVA, VT , & UGA games, plus BC and Miami (I'm projecting wins) and we are at 6 wins and we get 3 weeks of extra practice time.
Ya let’s revisit this convo in December. Maybe Tech will have miraculously found a defense and Oline by then and actually give you cause to celebrate.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Maybe if our Alums donated to both Academics AND ATHLETICS like these smart, sage, wise, venerable Northwestern Alums then maybe we'd have a chance to compete better.

The Ryan Family gift will be used to advance biomedical, economics and business research, and redevelop Ryan Field.
All that stuff and, oh yea, football stadium.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer

From the first Article (3 Sept 2021) on expectation from Major Donors as .500 and bowl game:

“My view of the world is that we ought to win six or seven,” said Steve Zelnak, a Tech grad and prominent donor to the athletic department and institute. “If things go really well, maybe we win eight. Three or four (wins) doesn’t cut it. Even though we’ve got a tough schedule, it’s time to step up and get it done. I’m pretty optimistic.”

Another major athletics donor, Gregg Garrett, said that he talks to as many as two dozen Tech fans daily as the season approaches. “And to the man or woman, they all say the same things,” he said. “It’s time to win. It’s time to move forward with this program. And this is the year we’ve got to do it. It’s universal. And that’s rare to get a universal opinion about anything.” Garrett feels an urgency for the Jackets to reach .500 and qualify for a bowl. He praised the work Collins and his staff have done in recruiting and player development, calling it a “miraculous job.” But he called this a “critical season” for Collins and his staff. “I would put ‘critical’ in capital letters because if we don’t move the program forward this year, then I think that gives a lot of people – whether it’s the fan base, whether it’s recruits, whether it’s opponents – it gives them pause about where we are in this process, and is this process going to work?” Garrett said. “I think in Year 3, recruits want to go somewhere where it’s going to be a successful program, and in Year 3, it’s hard to sell, ‘We’re still rebuilding’ if you’re not winning,” Garrett said. “They want to see the proof in the pudding, so to speak.”

Link - When Season Started Season expectations set by Donors was 6 and Bowl game
Unrealistic expectations. The program is literally being rebuild from the ground up.

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro
Unrealistic expectations. The program is literally being rebuild from the ground up.
#1 on the list of excuses when the turnaround doesn’t turnaround. Seen it a hundred times in the military and in business. Maybe one in a hundred, the blind squirrel finds the nut. The odds are not good at this point, not impossible, just not good. Usually the major downfall is the inability to make a good decision. It’s a major problem for GT right now.

Let’s hope there was a bye week gut check & we turn around starting tonight.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
We should beat Miami. Miami plays NC State, Pitt, and then us. I think Miami gets beat soundly by both NCState & Pitt, and will be a beaten team when we play them. I am hoping Diaz is still there because he will be 'dead man walking', a new interim coach might give them some sort of spark.

UVA will be tough. I hope our OL comes out of the bye week in sync; that will make a huge difference in how close we play UVA. If the OL can find a rhythm I like our chances against VT even if we lose to UVA. BC is hard to figure, they self destructed against NCState, but they look like a solid team. I don't see them turning over the ball as freakishly for us as they did against NCState. Hopefully our speed is too much for BC.
It kinda works against us though in that we are a team they should beat and it might be a “win one for coach” situation as well. We’ll see.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
CGC is young, something neither O'Leary, Chan nor PJ was when we hired them. With PJ at the helm, our best years were behind us. 2014 was an anomaly (and even it had bad losses and couldn't win the ACC). Given his distaste for recruiting and the TO's newness being long gone, 6 wins and a Bowl game were our ceiling until CGC got here and turned PJ's laziness about recruiting onto its ear.

I've got raised eyebrows with CGC as a literal sidelines gameday coach too but he's not going anywhere soon and I'm optimistic he'll improve in those areas where his lack of experience shows. If/when that happens, it appears we'll have solid talent on the team to maximize the coaching. Already, we've seen huge improvements in penalties (far fewer dumb ones this year) and kicking in general.

As bad as the Northern Illinois loss was and continues to be, we're hardly the only P5 team suddenly losing to FCS squads. It sucks but there seem to be fewer cupcakes these days.
We went 9-4 losses to 8-win Miami, Pitt, and UNC, and NC Clemson and beat UGA just two years later. Really the truth is we were a QB dependant team. When we had a really good one we were great when we didn’t, we were mediocre. Exactly what teams and programs like GT are all over the country.

whiskey clear

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
We went 9-4 losses to 8-win Miami, Pitt, and UNC, and NC Clemson and beat UGA just two years later. Really the truth is we were a QB dependant team. When we had a really good one we were great when we didn’t, we were mediocre. Exactly what teams and programs like GT are all over the country.
I applaud your logic but you are wasting your time talking on those that embrace dogma over reality. Those people don’t think a QB matters, or his ability to make plays throwing the ball, when 80% of the plays are running plays. Doesn’t matter that the 20% were very explosive plays or otherwise important gaining first downs etc. when the QB was a solid playmaker.

I’m prior years when Tech could throw with efficiency the O was deadly.

What has been consistent for too long is bad play on D since Tenuta departed.

The current staff is doing what the prior staff did to a large degree. Attracting playmakers to offense and struggling on D. Also failing to bag big play linemen on both sides of the ball. The last point is especially true for the current staff.

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
The current staff is doing what the prior staff did to a large degree. Attracting playmakers to offense and struggling on D. Also failing to bag big play linemen on both sides of the ball. The last point is especially true for the current staff.
Are you seriously questioning the recruiting of this staff? Questioning the coaching I get, but you lose all credibility if you question the recruiting gains that CGC and staff has made. You’re either not paying attention to recruiting or you’re just blinded by your hate for CGC.