Matt Rhule of Temple

The coach that brought Temple to heights not seen in decades:
10-4 2015
10-5 2016
has been at Baylor for two years prior to this season. Following a season coached by Jim Grobe (a 7-6 season), Rhule has had Baylor:
1-11 2017
7-6 2018

The previous 5 years at Baylor under Briles:
10-3
8-5
11-2
11-2
10-3

I wonder if any of the Baylor fans complained about doing less with more? How many of you would change your mind if Geoff went 7-5 next season? Probably not many.

Based on this, my conclusion is that we should hire Art Briles.

Baylor fans should just be happy their team didn't get the death penalty.

Georgia Tech basketball received steeper penalties than Baylor so far. Georgia Tech basketball had a clinically insane person who made up claims about the head coach and went to jail for lying. Baylor had the police and administration cover up hundreds of campus rapes and discourage victims from prosecuting.

Baylor fans should just be happy their team didn't get the death penalty.

So far, the only thing Collins has shown he can do as a head coach is take Rhule's 10-win teams and make them worse. Oh, and that FCS teams are trouble.

Anyone want to make a wager that Collins will win 7 games next season?
Actually, he's already shown he can recruit players better than Paul Johnson. But that doesn't fit your narrative where you bitch and moan in every thread.

As for your bet, yeah I'll cover it. Name the amount. I'm saying that GT will win 7 games or more in the 2020 football season. You in for $100? $500? I'll cover either.

I’ll make a whiskey bet. No piss bets for me.
I'll take that, what's your whiskey of choice.

Actually, he's already shown he can recruit players better than Paul Johnson. But that doesn't fit your narrative where you bitch and moan in every thread.

As for your bet, yeah I'll cover it. Name the amount. I'm saying that GT will win 7 games or more in the 2020 football season. You in for $100? $500? I'll cover either.
$100. I don't want to be accused of ever having a reason to actively root against my school.

---

These aren't bets I want to win.

People keep bringing this up, and this has got to be the dumbest argument ever. For one, it's extremely hard to continue high success year to year in the college game unless you are a factory that reloads every year. Rosters change a good bit year to year in college. Rhule himself probably couldn't even have kept that 10-win streak up. You can't say CGC "took those 10 win teams and made them worse." His teams were not the same players as those 10 win teams. Sure they had a good amount of the same players, but they were not all the same, and neither were their opponents.

Also, Rhule's two 10 win seasons were extreme outliers in Temple's past success. They have only had one other 10 win season and that was in 1979. Rhule's first two years at temple he went 2-10, then 6-6. I guess he tanked Addazio's team that had won 9 games a couple years before he arrived. In 2015, Rhule's 10 win team got boat raced by USF, and in 2016 his 10 win team lost to 7-6 Wake Forest.
It's not a dumb argument when you look at what Collins had in 2017 and 2018. He had talented teams. And in each season, Temple lost games that I consider Gailey-esque (UConn in 2017, Nova last year). Collins might be a good coach, but nothing in his past comes close to showing it.

It's not a dumb argument when you look at what Collins had in 2017 and 2018. He had talented teams. And in each season, Temple lost games that I consider Gailey-esque (UConn in 2017, Nova last year). Collins might be a good coach, but nothing in his past comes close to showing it.
Nothing in his past? He has exactly 2 years experience as a HC in his past, both winning seasons. You're reaching dude.

Edited to add: I looked back at what Collins "had" in 2017 and 2018. According to the 247sports team talent composite, he had the #76 overall talent in 2017, and #82 in 2018. For comparison Matt Rhule had #85 in 2015 and #71 in 2016. Not that much difference in overall, but let's look at their opponents. I gave a +/- 10 in talent since there are so many college teams, and teams within 10 spots of each other talent wise should be competitive.

In 2015 they were #85. 6 of their 13 opponents were better than #75.
In 2016 they were #71. 3 of their 13 opponents were better than #61.
In 2017 they were #76. 4 of their 12 opponents were better than #66.
In 2018 they were #82. 8 of their 12 opponents were better than #72.

In years 2016, 2017, and 2018 they lost 2 games to teams with worse talent rankings than them. One of those losses each year was to a team rated #132 or higher. What does all of that mean? Basically the only year that Rhule overachieved was 2015. Other than that, he and CGC both beat most of the teams they should, lost to most of the teams they should, and lost a couple they shouldn't. Yes Rhule had a conference championship in 2016 but CGC was 7-1 in AAC in 2018 with only loss to undefeated UCF. Had he had the opportunity to play in a conference championship he may have gotten 9 wins. Rhule didn't win the only bowl he coached, CGC did.

Last edited:
I'll take that, what's your whiskey of choice.

$100. I don't want to be accused of ever having a reason to actively root against my school.

---

These aren't bets I want to win.
Are we including a bowl win to get to 7 or just regular season wins?

And idk I’m a bourbon guy but I’d say let’s set a base for 50 bucks and choose what we’d like the other party to buy.

Last edited:
Nothing in his past? He has exactly 2 years experience as a HC in his past, both winning seasons. You're reaching dude.

Edited to add: I looked back at what Collins "had" in 2017 and 2018. According to the 247sports team talent composite, he had the #76 overall talent in 2017, and #82 in 2018. For comparison Matt Rhule had #85 in 2015 and #71 in 2016. Not that much difference in overall, but let's look at their opponents. I gave a +/- 10 in talent since there are so many college teams, and teams within 10 spots of each other talent wise should be competitive.

In 2015 they were #85. 6 of their 13 opponents were better than #75.
In 2016 they were #71. 3 of their 13 opponents were better than #61.
In 2017 they were #76. 4 of their 12 opponents were better than #66.
In 2018 they were #82. 8 of their 12 opponents were better than #72.

In years 2016, 2017, and 2018 they lost 2 games to teams with worse talent rankings than them. One of those losses each year was to a team rated #132 or higher. What does all of that mean? Basically the only year that Rhule overachieved was 2015. Other than that, he and CGC both beat most of the teams they should, lost to most of the teams they should, and lost a couple they shouldn't. Yes Rhule had a conference championship in 2016 but CGC was 7-1 in AAC in 2018 with only loss to undefeated UCF. Had he had the opportunity to play in a conference championship he may have gotten 9 wins. Rhule didn't win the only bowl he coached, CGC did.
On the other hand, we lost to the Citadel.

If you are a stacked team, transitions are rough. Saban went 7-6 at Bama, Smart 8-5 at UGA, with a loss to GT.
If you are a stacked team, transitions are rough. Saban went 7-6 at Bama, Smart 8-5 at UGA, with a loss to GT.
A sign, to me, of a good coach is one who adjusts his offense and defense to the players he has, not to the ones he wants to have. I do not give a pass for this year. His team needs to look like it is out there to win, not just to take up space. So far the Coach is all talk and little to no performance. This is possibly a sign of thinks to come!

Year 3 is when we would expect to see real success. "His" players would be upperclassmen and there would be time to fully install his system and get everyone comfortable with what they are doing.
His players would be soph or redshirt frosh then. What are you talking about

Slow down there Backstreet, first, Saban did not take over a stacked team. Saban took over a Bama team that had not won its division since 1999 and won only 6 games in 2006. Turning that into a 7 game winner was a step forward.

Are we including a bow win to get to 7 or just regular season wins?

And idk I’m a bourbon guy but I’d say let’s set a base for 50 bucks and choose what we’d like the other party to buy.
If it comes down a bowl win, I'll give it to you. Again, I'd be happy to lose this bet.

A sign, to me, of a good coach is one who adjusts his offense and defense to the players he has, not to the ones he wants to have. I do not give a pass for this year. His team needs to look like it is out there to win, not just to take up space. So far the Coach is all talk and little to no performance. This is possibly a sign of thinks to come!
I'm assuming you gave Paul Johnson an F every year he was here then under those criteria, except oddly enough the miserable Vad Lee starter year. Otherwise, Paul ran the same offense every year and ran whatever defense the failed DC du jour was running.

Also, I'll point out that the team that beat us last year under Coach Johnson was beaten by us this year under Collins. Still want to play this silly game because so far you aren't looking so good?

I'm assuming you gave Paul Johnson an F every year he was here then under those criteria, except oddly enough the miserable Vad Lee starter year. Otherwise, Paul ran the same offense every year and ran whatever defense the failed DC du jour was running.

Also, I'll point out that the team that beat us last year under Coach Johnson was beaten by us this year under Collins. Still want to play this silly game because so far you aren't looking so good?
y

You seem to have a convienient memory of the early Johnson years. His team performed admirably with the players he inherited, and they played hard for him and even beat Georgia once and a while! He did not loose to a Citadel team! However, all observations are individual, and mine aren't those of a "expert". So I can be wrong, but so far I am not impressed. I would like more performance and less personal hype!

Matt Rhule is a better coach than CGC right now. He may not be by the end of their careers. Collins is still learning the role.

I don't disagree with that. IMO, Collins is a good coach, still not sure if he is great or good enough to win regularly at Tech. You likely need to be a little better than just good to win at Tech. I think he will work out, just saying he has to prove it over time.

The interesting thing is Rhule's only proof that he is a "better coach" is those 2 seasons at Temple. Outside of that he has a spotty record that could be scrutinize as bad by Grumpy Gus.

Back