Matt Rhule of Temple

I don't disagree with that. IMO, Collins is a good coach, still not sure if he is great or good enough to win regularly at Tech. You likely need to be a little better than just good to win at Tech. I think he will work out, just saying he has to prove it over time.

The interesting thing is Rhule's only proof that he is a "better coach" is those 2 seasons at Temple. Outside of that he has a spotty record that could be scrutinize as bad by Grumpy Gus.

The people at Baylor disagree with that:

The question has been debated: Does Matt Rhule deserve a Coach of the Year award if Baylor does go bowling after winning just one game last season?

Mosley: I think going from 1-11 to 6-6 or or 7-5 would definitely warrant consideration. But I also believe that Matt Campbell has done a great job of turning the Cyclones' season around after a rough start. That's a really good team. If they beat the Horns in Austin, I'd have to lean toward Campbell. And you know that wouldn't be easy for me. But Matt Rhule has done an excellent job this season. This program was in much worse shape than any of truly realized. Matt's done it with class, which is also important. This is a group of players the fanbase can be proud of...and that's more important than ever. Rhule has done a nice job of ignoring all the folks who still pine away for Art Briles. I think the fanbase is really starting to get behind him.
https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/2...e-has-baylor-back-in-big-12-title-contention/

His record will not be the best, and a strong case can be made that the Big 12 should name its Coach of the Year award after Matt Campbell, but Matt Rhule is your winner.

West Virginia’s Dana Holgorsen will certainly garner more national attention, and Campbell continues to achieve the unachievable in Ames with Iowa State ranked 24th in the nation.

But what Rhule has done in Waco trumps them both. He is your Big 12 Coach of the Year.
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article221278630.html#storylink=cpy

I hope we feel the same way next year.

So you think "proof" is based on biased fan opinion and speculation of how they may finish this season?

I don't consider that proof.

I think Rhule is a good coach. I think Collins is a good coach and losing to Citadel isn't proof to the contrary. It doesn't work that way.

You seem to have a convienient memory of the early Johnson years. His team performed admirably with the players he inherited, and they played hard for him and even beat Georgia once and a while! He did not loose to a Citadel team! However, all observations are individual, and mine aren't those of a "expert". So I can be wrong, but so far I am not impressed. I would like more performance and less personal hype!
You seem to have an inconvenient memory that forgets Johnson inherited a team with 11 future NFL players on it. This team has perhaps 2 in the starting rotation (Swilling and Juanyeh Thomas).

And even with those 11 future NFL players (including Demaryius Thomas, Morgan Burnett, Derrick Morgan, Michael Johnson, Jonathan Dwyer and others), we still almost lost to Gardner Webb that year. After that game, there were almost the identical types of posts on here about "not being impressed" with Coach Johnson.

Either way, you're comparing apples and refrigerators, my friend.

Last edited:
You seem to have an inconvenient memory that forgets Johnson inherited a team with 11 future NFL players on it. This team has perhaps 2 in the starting rotation (Swilling and Juanyeh Thomas).

And even with those 11 future NFL players (including Demaryius Thomas, Morgan Burnett, Derrick Morgan, Michael Johnson, Jonathan Dwyer and others), we still almost lost to Gardner Webb that year. After that game, there were almost the identical types of posts on here about "not being impressed" with Coach Johnson.

Either way, you're comparing apples and refrigerators, my friend.
Could you imagine Paul Johnson's 2008 season with Calvin Booker under center for every game! That's what our "awful" offensive coordinator is dealing with right now, except we're trying to incorporate a passing game with good running QBs pretending to be good passing QBs.

If we can get our Oline working together, hitting their assignments, and healed up, I expect to see a lot more improvement to buy our QBs some more time with the QB/RB mesh and passing.

The coach that brought Temple to heights not seen in decades:
10-4 2015
10-5 2016
has been at Baylor for two years prior to this season. Following a season coached by Jim Grobe (a 7-6 season), Rhule has had Baylor:
1-11 2017
7-6 2018

The previous 5 years at Baylor under Briles:
10-3
8-5
11-2
11-2
10-3

I wonder if any of the Baylor fans complained about doing less with more? How many of you would change your mind if Geoff went 7-5 next season? Probably not many.
What are you trying to say?

A sign, to me, of a good coach is one who adjusts his offense and defense to the players he has, not to the ones he wants to have. I do not give a pass for this year. His team needs to look like it is out there to win, not just to take up space. So far the Coach is all talk and little to no performance. This is possibly a sign of thinks to come!

And it's possibly not!

I'll take that, what's your whiskey of choice.

$100. I don't want to be accused of ever having a reason to actively root against my school.

---

These aren't bets I want to win.
Seasons over, we didn't get close to six wins.

@daBuzz - I don't ever want to be accused of profiting from a Tech loss, so you can make your check payable to:

“Georgia Tech Foundation Inc.” and mail it to the following address:

Development Office, Suite E292
School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, Georgia 30332-0250

@BigDanT - Just bring a bottle of something to a Stingtalk tailgate and let the animals destroy it.

@daBuzz - I don't ever want to be accused of profiting from a Tech loss, so you can make your check payable to:

@BigDanT - Just bring a bottle of something to a Stingtalk tailgate and let the animals destroy it.
You got it. I had forgotten about the bet but I'll pay up. AAMOF, I just received yet another email today about end-of-year giving to GTAA. I won't be writing a check though; that's for cretins. I'll send them money electronically! :)

I mean the bet goes towards a good cause but I'm surprised you're holding them to the bet when the schedule was changed

Damn I forgot lol. I’ll def grab something next tailgate

I mean the bet goes towards a good cause but I'm surprised you're holding them to the bet when the schedule was changed
How does the schedule change affect the likelihood of us winning 7 games? Add in a FCS (not Citadel obvs) and you get us to 4. Where are the other 3 coming from?

How does the schedule change affect the likelihood of us winning 7 games? Add in a FCS (not Citadel obvs) and you get us to 4. Where are the other 3 coming from?
I believe a bet made in 2019 is no longer in good faith given the circumstances beyond a typical season, including quarantines, contact tracing, and wholesale schedule changes

I really don't think @daBuzz is going to sweat this enough to argue about. And that's saying something considering how often he argues on this board.

I believe a bet made in 2019 is no longer in good faith given the circumstances beyond a typical season, including quarantines, contact tracing, and wholesale schedule changes

Do you think that the liquor and beer you freely drink every tailgate comes from the heavens? It comes from ööööty bets on stingtalk.

You just made yourself responsible for 30 beers and a bottle of whiskey for the next tailgate.

Back