Miami Game Canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are about 38,000 road accident fatalities every year in the US, and something pretty close to all 330,000,000 of us ride in cars every year.

About 100,000 under the age of 75 have died of COVID in the US. So, no, driving is not more dangerous than COVID, even if you're under 80.

And the numbers aren't being skewed in favor of "covid" diagnosed deaths either, so the numbers being presented in support of the pandemic hysteria must be true too.

Does that include the people that couldn't get their cancer treatments or heart oblations (I know people personally this happened to) or the suicides because of economic difficulty or other secondary effects?

Since the pandemic peddlers have been associating Covid to deaths without evidence to support their agenda, then yes.

No but it does include people who died of a heart attack, cancer, diabetes, or old age AND had the 'Rona at the same time too.

The # of senior citizens who died in 2020 was almost identical to 2019. How the F is that even possible unless the Rona is just being used for every cause of death.

Wrong. That is fake news that has been debunked many times. Why don't you tell your family doctor that and have him laugh you out of the room. Did you really go to Tech?

Ready for Miami to nose dive next year after the King rental expires.

I don't care that we probably would have lost to Miami, I still think we should have played them. We need practice, and on top of that I don't think it's necessarily a given that we would have lost, anyway.

I would rather lose than not play at all.

... look at you getting all epistemological in the house that hunts your mom.
Epistemological?!? Nah - I'm just saying that most of the posters here appear to be imbeciles.

As for my mom . . . She's been dead for 12 years, so if you want to hunt her I think you're going to have to kill yourself first. Happy hunting!

Context, dude. Did not tell him to do so. Did not hope he does so. Wants to hunt my mom . . . she's dead and in afterlife . . . he would have to join her there to hunt her. Not surprised you need it spelled out, though.

Context, dude. Did not tell him to do so. Did not hope he does so. Wants to hunt my mom . . . she's dead and in afterlife . . . he would have to join her there to hunt her. Not surprised you need it spelled out, though.
In your little framed "context" if the requirement is to be dead then he doesn't have to do it himself.

Sorry you got called out. No one likes you so don't be surprised with a nice little vacation.

Epistemological?!? Nah - I'm just saying that most of the posters here appear to be imbeciles.

As for my mom . . . She's been dead for 12 years, so if you want to hunt her I think you're going to have to kill yourself first. Happy hunting!
Damn, you really are a dope.

I do not wish to minimize the seriousness of COVID-19, particularly with this current wave of infections. However, the inconsistencies of college administrators regarding competition have been glaring. If playing the games are a health risk not worth taking then don’t play. But, if you decide college athletes should be able to play, then test regularly, quarantine the sick, and play the games. That we know we will have too many infected players to play eight days before the Miami game after we played the night before is just not a decision based on good science. It is clear they are trying to keep the playoffs, conference championships and a few bowls going and the games needed for that to happen are played. Other games are considered more expendable.

Only because of the extreme measures we have taken to slow/curb the spread. The survival rate for those who get it it less than 98%.

What was your point? Did you have one?

That chickenshit Doomers like you suck, for wanting to crush small business, increase suicide and make everyone else's life suck due to your cowardice.

You went to the trouble to provide these links, so it seems like the least I can do is go to the trouble to read them and respond to you. I'd ask @cyptomcat to move this post to N&P if the conversation participants have access there, so that we can continue the thread in the appropriate forum.

But with those pleasantries to the side, did you actually read any of the links you provided? Because they don't refute the OP's point, IMHO. Let me explain. Here's how the conversation went...
There’s 296,000 coffins tho, you jerk
Does that include the people that couldn't get their cancer treatments or heart oblations or the suicides because of economic difficulty or other secondary effects?
No but it does include people who died of a heart attack, cancer, diabetes, or old age AND had the 'Rona at the same time too.
Wrong. That is fake news that has been debunked many times.

So the 'fake news' is the idea that COVID deaths are being over-reported, because people dying *with* COVID, are being recorded as dying *from* COVID. That's the thing you say has been debunked many times.

Many of your links rebut a dumb claim that doesn't interest me, namely, the claim (retweeted by Trump) that "the CDC has admitted that 94% of COVID deaths were actually caused by something else." That's obviously not true. The claim arises from the fact that the CDC reports that 94% of COVID deaths had other causes of death and/or co-morbidities, and only 6% listed COVID alone. That fact frames our question rather than answering it... how do we how many of those 94% were killed *by* COVID as opposed to something else?

I think if you take a look at your links in depth (and I've read them all), you'll see that none of them actually answer this question. The Scientific American article is probably the best summary of the issue. It outlines three ways we know how many people have died from COVID. The first is case surveillance (i.e., the reports that medical professionals are required to submit while providing care), and the second is death certificates (completed by coroners, medical examiners, and attending physicians).

Neither of these are going to answer our question – it's the possibility that doctors are conflating people dying *with* COVID and people dying *from* COVID that is prompting our doubt about the numbers. When someone has other serious health problems and stops breathing, how can you tell if it was the cancer or the COVID that did it? Perhaps with an autopsy or sufficient pathological investigation, you can find clues, but generally you're gonna be making some assumptions based on the way the person died, how advanced the cancer was, how serious the COVID seemed to be, etc. But in the current climate of COVID-mania, it's not unreasonable to wonder if they've got a natural tendency to 'assume' the person wouldn't have died without COVID.

On top of that, take a look at the third source of COVID death data mentioned by the Scientific American article – "excess deaths." This has been discussed previously in the COVID thread... how to determine how many deaths we're "supposed" to have tomorrow. Tough to say. But look at what the article says about this issue. The article cites a JAMA article authored by some med school professors who looked at 225,300 excess deaths through the end of the summer. According to your link:

JAMA author said:
Two thirds of these [excess deaths] were attributed to COVID-19 on the death certificates, and Woolf says there are two types of explanations for the rest: Some of them were COVID-19 deaths that simply were not documented as such, perhaps because the person died at home and was never tested or because the certificate was miscoded. And some of the extra deaths were probably a consequence of the pandemic yet not necessarily of the virus itself. For instance, he says, imagine a patient with chest pain who is scared to go to the hospital because he or she does not want to get the virus and then dies of a heart attack. Woolf calls this “indirect mortality.” “The deaths aren't literally caused by the virus itself, but the pandemic is claiming lives,” he says.

The authors' 2/3 figure comes from the fact that by Aug 1, there were 160,139 "COVID deaths" per the CDC, and 225,300 excess deaths. I think this again illustrates why we shouldn't be too sure about the COVID death calculations. What this shows is that people are dying at heightened rates even when there's no evidence of COVID at all. Perhaps it's the effect of the lockdown, the social isolation, etc. Who knows? It'll take years of research to figure this out with any level of confidence. But is it unreasonable to think some of the people who tested positive for COVID and died were killed by those alternate etiologies, too?

Anyhow, I think this is a really interesting topic – trying to untangle multiple potential causes, and to determine how much responsibility/liability each one should bear, is a major issue in tort law, and something I've spent some time studying in an academic context. It is really hard to tell if someone with COVID died from COVID, and I've not only not seen any analysis do it successfully, I haven't even seen any analysis attempt to explain the relevant tools/criteria that you would use in such an analysis.

giphy.gif

I do not wish to minimize the seriousness of COVID-19, particularly with this current wave of infections. However, the inconsistencies of college administrators regarding competition have been glaring. If playing the games are a health risk not worth taking then don’t play. But, if you decide college athletes should be able to play, then test regularly, quarantine the sick, and play the games. That we know we will have too many infected players to play eight days before the Miami game after we played the night before is just not a decision based on good science. It is clear they are trying to keep the playoffs, conference championships and a few bowls going and the games needed for that to happen are played. Other games are considered more expendable.
So are you saying the acc called CGC and said we're going to need you to pretend you don't have enough players ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back