Miss the option?

• No

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 50.9%

• Total voters
That was stupid
giphy.gif

The option didn’t look like real football even when it was scoring 40+ points a game. Bunch of unorthodox chop blocking and cut blocking that for lack of a better word looked like dirty football. Hell no I don’t miss it.
But you don’t know footballs from Dino droppings.

Yes. So many ways yes. I miss being excited for what our mad genius was going to throw at teams. Mostly I miss an offense that could score points on purpose rather than what seems like happy accidents or athletic prowess alone.

If our coach/oc don’t want to run PJ’s option, fine. But we need some kind of edge or system as we have never recruited 4/5 star players consistently and clearly that hasn’t changed with CGC. We need some of those to reach a championship but our O line is never going to be what you see at a football factory. If our players can’t outplay they other guys 1-1 then we have to have use scheme, technique and conditioning.

Our scheme is hot garbage based on what I see each week.

To be fair, I do miss the option, but what I REALLY miss is having a coach that I was supremely confident in when it came to schemes and playcalling. IMO, other than winning titles, there’s not much more fun in sports than routinely running roughshod over teams that have significantly more talent than you and seeing them get so pissed off at their complete inability to stop it.

And yes, I am well aware of the irony in that statement given that the coach brings in the talent. But I can’t help but wonder two things:

1) How much more could we have achieved if our AD wasn’t actively working against our head coach, even in the middle of our 2nd best season in well over 50 years?

2) Will we ever have a coach like that again, or am I stuck watching us do more or less the same thing as everyone else, only not as well?

FWIW I think the O’Leary/Friedgen years were awesome as well and I also miss that. Unfortunately I’m not sure we are the same program we were then, in a very different era of academic restrictions. We chose to openly forsake the “smartest guy in the room” type coach in this cycle, and here we are. I hope I look like a jackass for posts like this by the end of the year, but as of now I think we’re paying for a bad decision to go against our own identity.

To be fair, I do miss the option, but what I REALLY miss is having a coach that I was supremely confident in when it came to schemes and playcalling. IMO, other than winning titles, there’s not much more fun in sports than routinely running roughshod over teams that have significantly more talent than you and seeing them get so pissed off at their complete inability to stop it.

And yes, I am well aware of the irony in that statement given that the coach brings in the talent. But I can’t help but wonder two things:

1) How much more could we have achieved if our AD wasn’t actively working against our head coach, even in the middle of our 2nd best season in well over 50 years?

2) Will we ever have a coach like that again, or am I stuck watching us do more or less the same thing as everyone else, only not as well?

FWIW I think the O’Leary/Friedgen years were awesome as well and I also miss that. Unfortunately I’m not sure we are the same program we were then, in a very different era of academic restrictions. We chose to openly forsake the “smartest guy in the room” type coach in this cycle, and here we are. I hope I look like a jackass for posts like this by the end of the year, but as of now I think we’re paying for a bad decision to go against our own identity.
The Friedgen system is the best of both worlds IMO. It was innovative and different but not so much so that it served as a recruiting ball and chain. I would be supremely happy running Fridge’s multiple offense that incorporated a lot of option principles.

Yes. So many ways yes. I miss being excited for what our mad genius was going to throw at teams. Mostly I miss an offense that could score points on purpose rather than what seems like happy accidents or athletic prowess alone.

If our coach/oc don’t want to run PJ’s option, fine. But we need some kind of edge or system as we have never recruited 4/5 star players consistently and clearly that hasn’t changed with CGC. We need some of those to reach a championship but our O line is never going to be what you see at a football factory. If our players can’t outplay they other guys 1-1 then we have to have use scheme, technique and conditioning.

Our scheme is hot garbage based on what I see each week.
Having a mad genius was nice true.

Back