Miss the option?

• No

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 50.9%

• Total voters

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
I’ve watched that play a thousand times. It’s amazing. I love PJ’s offense and often wonder how we’d be doing if he had support from the athletic department. I see Yates and Mason now and know all we’d need is one Shaq and we’d be competing for the ACC Championship.

But PJ ain’t here no more. I’m hoping Geoff gets us where we wanna go.
I just watched it 1000 times. It cuts off too soon every time!

wishbone

Dodd-Like
The option can be beautiful. We should use it like Friedgen did. PatN calling that under center pitch to Donte against NIU last week was sweet.
He has the QB's and RB talent to mix and confuse and not have to parrot the others and shotgun/clap clap the whole scheme.

Allen Koholic

Likes dick drawings.
Navy looked badddddd. Like really, really bad. Like historic transformation bad. If we’re having a rough transition away from the triple option, they’re screwed.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
Navy looked badddddd. Like really, really bad. Like historic transformation bad. If we’re having a rough transition away from the triple option, they’re screwed.
Not necessarily. They will get a certain kind of kid every year.

txsting

Elite level sh*tposting
I think there is space in the game for someone to come along with an evolved version of CPJs offense and have success. It has to be done at the right place, and I think that place is probably Nebraska. They are about to make a change, and they aren't exactly a modern recruiting powerhouse. The problem i see is that there is no proper coach for this......Monken and Ken N. are CPJ retreads that haven't evolved the thing at all.

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker
When Joe Hamilton was asked how it made him feel that the coaching search after CPJ would include triple option coaches he said it made him want to throw up. I remember feeling the same queasiness as well.

StraightFresh

Midtown Zoomer
When Joe Hamilton was asked how it made him feel that the coaching search after CPJ would include triple option coaches he said it made him want to throw up. I remember feeling the same queasiness as well.
Joe Hamilton and his post-GT successes of uh, uhh, uhhhh?

2 Orange Bowls in 5 years

1990wspjacket

Damn Good Rat
When Paul Johnson runs it....... Every Day! Should have been a mandatory #3 choice in this bullshit poll.

Vespinae

Unbelievable, effort-based commenter
Yeah winning games and going to bowl games gave me motion sickness...

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
Have you meet RW92 or Knoxjacket?
I do not hate CPJ. He was a great coach at Southern and Navy, gave us two awesome years with Gaileys leftovers, one with his own guys, was mediocre otherwise, and left the least talented roster in FBS.

what I hate is the nonsensical hero worship that has no grounding in reality by posters in this board that swing from his nuts.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
I do not hate CPJ. He was a great coach at Southern and Navy, gave us two awesome years with Gaileys leftovers, one with his own guys, was mediocre otherwise, and left the least talented roster in FBS.

what I hate is the nonsensical hero worship that has no grounding in reality by posters in this board that swing from his nuts.
Two great years with Gailey’s guys, but only one with his own?

Ranking the years, I would think 2014, 2009, 2008, then 2016.

Basically, CPJ was up and down based on QB play.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
Two great years with Gailey’s guys, but only one with his own?

Ranking the years, I would think 2014, 2009, 2008, then 2016.

Basically, CPJ was up and down based on QB play.
beating the mutts in 2016 and KY in the bowl was nice but that team didn't crack the top-25. Hard to call it "great".

Walton

Damn Good Rat
If there was some way to recruit top 20 talent consistently then sure. Coach Johnson could have won NCs with that level of talent and the offense would have been exciting.

But I think that ship has sailed and there is no going back. Kids don’t like that offense and don’t think it helps them get to the NFL.

If we hire an Option coach again, then it will be because we have settled for being Navy, Army, Duke, Wake. That is our ceiling with option offense: poor recruiting, good but never great team about ever 3 years.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
Have you meet RW92 or Knoxjacket?
I don't know the man so can't hate him. I do hate the effect on our program his scheme had though. Even his best years, he couldn't follow up with good recruiting nor was he able to establish any sort of continuity. We'd become a national gimmick by the time he left and were irrelevant.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
If there was some way to recruit top 20 talent consistently then sure. Coach Johnson could have won NCs with that level of talent and the offense would have been exciting.

But I think that ship has sailed and there is no going back. Kids don’t like that offense and don’t think it helps them get to the NFL.

If we hire an Option coach again, then it will be because we have settled for being Navy, Army, Duke, Wake. That is our ceiling with option offense: poor recruiting, good but never great team about ever 3 years.
I agree that the ship has sailed. CPJ couldn’t convince the money men to invest in his vision. I imagine it was because of his personality, but that is irrelevant. The money men will never invest in the option now.

TM was by far the worst starting QB under Johnson and the results showed. Who knows how 2019 would have looked. It doesn’t matter though, we won’t see another option coach unless Urban Meyer decides he wants to coach here.