Mississippi article on Bilbo

originally posted by i_bleed_gold_white
Spellingbee, great letter! My only regret is that you weren't my roommate when I was having to write term papers for Dr. Weiser at Tech! I could've used a bit of that fluidity instead of my BS'ity! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">thanks, i_bleed, but I was/am pretty reliant on the BS'ing myself--most of the time it works.

**In haste I emailed that letter and posted it to the board without editing it...in re-reading it, I found a few spelling errors (so much for my font
rolleyes.gif
) I only hope the content will outweigh calling Bilbo Bibo twice. Oh, well. I could edit the board post, but I won't try to hide my errors.
pat.gif

ncjacket,
That was a really good post. That there needs to be an explaination for Coach Gailey's move is really saddening. Anyone with eyes/ears/commom sense could understand--even without your "timeline"--the logistics behind the move from the reasoning down to the TIMING.
pat.gif

Thanks for your levelheadedness tinged with a bit of impatience to illogical thought and faulty reasoning.
wink.gif

ahsoisee, really enjoy your posts, but man you just took license beyond all reason saying I said:
Those who are trying to give Gailey and the team a chance to win this year have an agenda.

Look my friend, you might want to go back and read it again...carefully and all of it. Threads like these have reached a point where posters are just blindly slamming or praising CG and his decisions without a lot of regard to the pros and cons. It's just a hate him just because or love him just because. To be realistic, these posts will cease when and only when we WIN. THWG

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
This is NOT about Reggie Ball and who got the job - this is about how it was done and for me timing!

Sorry fellas, this coaching staff already had a mind set for Damarius capabilities. They should have taken the high road in April after spring practice - Chan had already said freshmen would play in all positions - this would have been easier to do then BECAUSE he made the statement.

I'm not the coach and neither is anyone here but considering the circumstances in Chan saying all positions would be open that meant the QB spot as well! He had already laid the groundwork in alerting the team - this would have played out better after spring practice.

It would have been a lot easier to swallow in April under those statements then now! Easier for Damarius (who's being hung out to dry), his teammates, the new players and QBs, the chemistry on the team and the preparation for the first game, in a season of more tough games then most.

This is not about "who" it's about "when and how it was done". In a season filled with questions and concerns - this would have already been taken care of 3 months ago and any ill will from the decision would have subsided and we would be concentrating on our first game only!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">This post is riddled with your contempt for Gailey.

If I remember correctly, O'Leary "hung out to dry" a few players. Most notably, Sean Gregory. Of course George could do no wrong. You have to be the most blind poster I have ever seen.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
MsTA you have your right to your opinion. I have a right to tell you I believe it is a stupid one. I don't know why everybody is so worked up, to me it's quite simple.

1. Suggs sucked against Fresno and Gailey had it with him. Ergo, job open going into spring.

2. NOBODY took charge in the spring. Due to #1, Bilbo was put at the top of the depth chart. Message was clearly given however that it would be open in preseason and that freshmen would get a look.

3. Camp opens and Bilbo is #1 due to 2 above. Again he doesn't shine and in fact is not even with Ball. Even Suggs shows improvement but Bilbo does not take the opportunity HE HAS BEEN GIVEN and show the coaches he should be the guy.

4. Decision pretty clear to Chan and staff that it's either Ball or Suggs (ugh!). Since Bilbo is a great athlete there must be a better way to use him than standing on the sidelines with a clipboard.

5. Bilbo doesn't understand or like the decision. To me, that's good. The kid is a competitor and competitors don't like to lose.

6. Chan and Bilbo have a heart to heart. Bilbo will need to decide what is in his best interest. If he thinks he can still play QB he can either stay and hope for another shot or leave (like Williamson, Crenshaw, etc.)

The bottom line is there is nothing really unusual about this scenario except that we all had pinned such high hopes on DeBo (coaching staff included). He has had 2.5 years to take control of the position and hasn't done it, even when it was given to him. Face it, all he had to do was hold onto it to start the BYU game. He didn't do that.

MsTA, there are numerous points in that scenario where the Bilbo/Ball saga doesn't play out as it has. And most were controlled by Bilbo. If he has simply outplayed the freshman he would be the starter. He has noone to blame but himself. Hopefully he will realize that he got beat out and decide to prove to the coaches that they need him on the field. I wish him the best, but I wish for wins for Tech first.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'll take "Logical Assumptions and Events" for 500 Alex.
Alright, here is your answer.
"Chronilogical events and Facts when making an arguement"

What are two things MSTA does not comprehend when making posts. CORRECT!!!!!
laugh.gif

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis: I said it was 'how and when'! I stated the reasoning I had behind it and not that Ball beat him out but that he knew in April Damarius was not going to make it![/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">See, here lies the problem MSTA.
You said Chan "knew in April". That is the entire PREMISE of your arguement. That because "he knew in April" he should've made the decision then.
Did you speak with him? Did he ever come out and say that?
No he didn't!!!
How do you know "he knew"? How in the hell would you know?

You just make stuff up to further your pathetic little arguement.

GoldZ your statement: Me thinks the "FOCers" and Bashers "are now blinded to reason with agendas".

Maybe you did not mean it to sound like it does, but you are saying the FOCers are reasoning with their agendas.

Another fallacy in your post is the word FOCer. There are no Fans of Chan on the board that I have seen. I have read no post where any individual has asserted they are a Fan of Chan.

I have read posts by these people and myself, who say we are fans of Tech and want Tech to win or Chan to win. In either case it means Tech will be winning. We certainly don't want Chan to lose because Tech would be losing.

The FOCer term came from the anti-Chan bashers. They use it describe the Fans of Chan, who do not exist, so it means nothing.

These fans wanting Chan to have this year to prove himself feel that is fair to any coach who comes to Tech to try to help us. It was afforded to all of the previous coaches, and we feel it is fair to allow Chan the same privilege.

All of us fans in this category are the "wait and see fans" before we make our decisions. So, you are off base on just about your entire topic.

Also, you are stating all of the posters who defend his right to have this year to prove himself love him. If you go back and read all the posts from those defending him, you "will" find all of these posters in the "wait and see" category. So, where do you get the idea these posters love him.

You are right about the one's bashing him, most of these have stated outright they do not like Gailey and did not like him before he ever coached a down at Tech.

Maybe you need to reread your own post.

Father Time

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Jack_it:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
I REALLY WISH I WAS MAKING THIS UP AND THEN I COULD SAY - ha, ha! But unfortunately - joking at the expense of a program I have supported for this many years - IS NO JOKE!
frown.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">With supporters like you, who needs enemies?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You have no idea about my support nor how I feel about 'how the decision was made' - it makes me sick!
frown.gif
[/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What really makes us all sick is you!
Two weeks before kick off, TWO DAMN WEEKS. Here we are trying to read stuff to get excited about the season and OUR Jackets and all you can do is freaking bitch bitch bitch bitch and bitch some more. EVERYONE HERE IS SICK OF YOUR TIRADES. SHUT THE HELL UP. You might think you are doing nothing to hurt the Jackets but you are doing everything to sour this board!!!
Take a break for awhile. Come back about midseason. maybe then at least you might have some legitimate amo.

Originally posted by BarrelORum:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Jack_it:
I REALLY WISH I WAS MAKING THIS UP AND THEN I COULD SAY - ha, ha! But unfortunately - joking at the expense of a program I have supported for this many years - IS NO JOKE!
frown.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">With supporters like you, who needs enemies?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You have no idea about my support nor how I feel about 'how the decision was made' - it makes me sick!
frown.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What really makes us all sick is you!
Two weeks before kick off, TWO DAMN WEEKS. Here we are trying to read stuff to get excited about the season and OUR Jackets and all you can do is freaking bitch bitch bitch bitch and bitch some more. EVERYONE HERE IS SICK OF YOUR TIRADES. SHUT THE HELL UP. You might think you are doing nothing to hurt the Jackets but you are doing everything to sour this board!!!
Take a break for awhile. Come back about midseason. maybe then at least you might have some legitimate amo.[/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Only thing this post lacked was a postscript that said, "Now go get me a beer, bitch!"...

BOR you hit it right on the head!!!Concerning Mtech...Im for freedom of speech but on most any College Fan Board out there she would have already been nuked...She does nothing but SOUR this board and our excitement for this upcoming season.....

These posts are becoming too personal so let's all sit back and chill.
drinking.gif
drinking.gif

I concur with MTA that CCG has bad personnel timing and for the most part few pr skills which head coaches in this era need. He must have some coaching skills or he would have been out in the real world earning a living a long time ago.

I hope Mr. Ball is successful but there will probably be more downers than uppers. I think back to Joe Ham's first year starting and there were some down times w/ fumbles and int's.

Those of you in attack mode are showing your gender bias. This after all is a game and we as fans can't really influence anything but the spirit of the team with our support. Let's pursue this course and stow the personal attacks on GT fans.
soapbox.gif

Pj..Your right Ball and the team will have their ups and downs they are young BUT some of these teams that get us this year WILL be in for some payback as we mature...

Another point Gender has NOTHING to do with it...Period...Most are SICK and TIRED of the unsubstantiad , relentless negative remarks about Coach Gailey and i repeat AFTER ONLY ONE YEAR.........

ahsoisee, no offense, but your propensity to tell posters what they have said is irritating and insulting. Cool it man. You might want to privately e-mail a poster you know or respect and have them read my posts and then your yours. I think their feedback might be of some help to you.

Let's just enjoy the 28th! OK?

By the way, I'm a fence sitter-wait and see guy too. After 41 years of following and loving the YJ's you tend to be so. THWG

First, I would like to thank Goldz for the kind words on my previous post and ylojk8 for the thoughtful response. The fact is that Gailey's track record on QB's at Tech has been shaky. Last year, he said Suggs would prove the naysayers wrong and Suggs ended up with a QB rating in the ACC that was ahead only of an option QB at Wake Forest and a Clemson quarterback who transferred to 1-AA. It still bothers me that Suggs gets a season worth of screw ups but Bilbo doesn't get one start. Even with the 4 interceptions against Fresno State he produced more points in the second half than Tech had scored in the 3 previous games combined. I really believe Bilbo was pressing in practice. I wish Gailey had taken a more positive approach and named him the starter for BYU. I think he may have surprised some people. I don't believe Bilbo deserved a season worth of starts but he did deserve one.

GoldZ, I am sure those reading our posts have already made their minds up. If they wanted to get involved with our debate, they would already have done so.

I do not intend to go shopping around asking the posters to comment on my remarks. I always make my remarks and let them stand on their own. If I want a response from one of my posts, I normally ask for one. Otherwise, I make the post and leave it for others to read.

By the way, I am not sure if you were saying you were a fan of 41 years or you thought I was a fan of 41 years. I am actually a fan of around 56 years.

Father Time

Since this is an open board, all remarks can be evaluated by the readers.

3518techie, I can see where you're coming from but here's my take. Suggs was better last year than Bilbo IMO based on the playing time I saw from Bilbo. For every great play he made, and he did make some, he made some truly awful ones. Until the last few games Suggs wasn't great, by any means, but he was okay. I thought FSU and Ugag were very bad performances and wouldn't have been surprised if Bilbo had started the bowl game. But Suggs showed them something in practice and they gave him another shot.

The problem I have with Bilbo is that he's been given every opportunity to impress the coaching staff and he's blown every one. It's easy to say he's a game player not a practice player, but his game performances haven't been anyting to inspire confidence in a coach either. If he had done anything with his shot in the spring, the frosh would have been playing this summer just to see if anyone wouldn't be redshirted. The reason the door was still open is because he didn't close it.

I guess the bottom line to me is nobody deserves anything. They have to take the opportunity when it presents itself. IMO Bilbo gave Suggs his opportunity last year and now is giving Ball his. When you say he hasn't had a chance, I say he's had 16. Last summer, 13 games last year when he could have won the job in practice, spring practice and this summer.

And when you question Gailey's handling of our QBs, I question our QBs. Yes a coach is expected to get everything out of a player, the players have to have the ability to start with.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
3518techie, I can see where you're coming from but here's my take. Suggs was better last year than Bilbo IMO based on the playing time I saw from Bilbo. For every great play he made, and he did make some, he made some truly awful ones. Until the last few games Suggs wasn't great, by any means, but he was okay. I thought FSU and Ugag were very bad performances and wouldn't have been surprised if Bilbo had started the bowl game. But Suggs showed them something in practice and they gave him another shot.

The problem I have with Bilbo is that he's been given every opportunity to impress the coaching staff and he's blown every one. It's easy to say he's a game player not a practice player, but his game performances haven't been anyting to inspire confidence in a coach either. If he had done anything with his shot in the spring, the frosh would have been playing this summer just to see if anyone wouldn't be redshirted. The reason the door was still open is because he didn't close it.

I guess the bottom line to me is nobody deserves anything. They have to take the opportunity when it presents itself. IMO Bilbo gave Suggs his opportunity last year and now is giving Ball his. When you say he hasn't had a chance, I say he's had 16. Last summer, 13 games last year when he could have won the job in practice, spring practice and this summer.

And when you question Gailey's handling of our QBs, I question our QBs. Yes a coach is expected to get everything out of a player, the players have to have the ability to start with.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">NC.. recalling a thread you started a couple of months ago.. you indicated you hadn't seen Bilbo play much in the first half of the season... He played in games that were still in doubt & in those situations played pretty well.. Later in the season, specifically the UGA & Fresno games he came in to clean up AJ's mess & wasn't as effective... I've seen players who played worse than Bilbo played in their redshirt freshman years who went on to pretty decent careers...

Originally posted by 3518techie:
First, I would like to thank Goldz for the kind words on my previous post and ylojk8 for the thoughtful response. The fact is that Gailey's track record on QB's at Tech has been shaky. Last year, he said Suggs would prove the naysayers wrong and Suggs ended up with a QB rating in the ACC that was ahead only of an option QB at Wake Forest and a Clemson quarterback who transferred to 1-AA. It still bothers me that Suggs gets a season worth of screw ups but Bilbo doesn't get one start. Even with the 4 interceptions against Fresno State he produced more points in the second half than Tech had scored in the 3 previous games combined. I really believe Bilbo was pressing in practice. I wish Gailey had taken a more positive approach and named him the starter for BYU. I think he may have surprised some people. I don't believe Bilbo deserved a season worth of starts but he did deserve one.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">nice stand.

"The fact is that Gailey's track record on QB's at Tech has been shaky."

the fact also is that the 2 QB's gailey had last year were shaky.

"Last year, he said Suggs would prove the naysayers wrong and Suggs ended up with a QB rating in the ACC that was ahead only of an option QB at Wake Forest and a Clemson quarterback who transferred to 1-AA."

are you sure he said that? he quoted "suggs would prove the naysayers wrong"? i don't think so. he started suggs every game, told boobirds to lay off suggs and boo the coaching staff should they desire, defended suggs' mistakes .. but never said "suggs will prove the naysayers wrong". if he did, i missed it. gailey was never over enamored by suggs .. suggs was the best option he had in his mind.

"It still bothers me that Suggs gets a season worth of screw ups but Bilbo doesn't get one start."

it bothers a lot of people i'm sure. suggs is a 5th year senior and an adequate backup with a lot of experience now. bilbo isn't cutting it at QB and is a tremendous athlete who can make an NFL calibre WR. the coaches pulled this trigger asap to give bilbo time to switch to WR as soon as possible. in fact, bilbo was catching passes as WR in a scrimmage today. the first time he's done that.

"Even with the 4 interceptions against Fresno State he produced more points in the second half than Tech had scored in the 3 previous games combined."

now you're reaching to make a point. you can do better. the fact that he threw 4 interceptions should give you an idea that he was a QB with great potential but not quite grasping the game.

"I really believe Bilbo was pressing in practice. I wish Gailey had taken a more positive approach and named him the starter for BYU."

you believe that bilbo was pressing in practice. what do you base your belief on? at BEST bilbo looked inconsistent through the spring, during the spring game and through the fall practice at QB. what exactly are you basing your belief on?

"I wish Gailey had taken a more positive approach and named him the starter for BYU."

i cannot understand how gailey is being negative by giving a shot to the best quarterback in the team.

"I think he may have surprised some people. I don't believe Bilbo deserved a season worth of starts but he did deserve one"

i think you are wrong. i think he has a much better chance to surprise people as WR. i think if he switches to WR .. he'll play on sundays.

i am not sure who will start at BYU. probably suggs will get the start because of his experience and because we're playing @ BYU. but ball looks like our QB. ball is looking way better than suggs and gives us many options as a QB.

i don't know why you're on this crusade for bilbo.

"bilbo was really pressing in practice, bilbo deserves the start"

have you seen bilbo and ball in practice? i don't think so. am i wrong?

bilbo is too athletic to be left at QB just cause. he can become a darned good WR. he needs to be on the field. especially when the team has a better looking QB .....

that is why this has been done. this has not been to hang bilbo dry. this has been done to move bilbo to another position asap so that bilbo gets playing time!

BeeBad you make a good point. I've gone back and watched a number of the game tapes and my concern with Bilbo was/is that when he made a bad play it was a pretty bad one. Remember against Wake in his second series (after the TD) he scrambled backwards like 15 yds and launched a duck when most HS QBs would have just thrown it away or fallen on the ball. He was either spectacularly good or spectacularly bad. If you go back and look at JoeHam for instance, or Goose in his spot duty early on, they didn't necessarily make good plays all the time, but they usually weren't disasters.

But even given that, you're right Bilbo might have gotten it out of his system and gotten things worked out. But the biggest thing about JoeHam ,as an example, is the coaches saw something in his play and his attitude AND THERE WASN'T A BETTER OPTION. If we had had someone else on the squad who took advantage of Joe's problems early on and made the coaches sit back and notice, he may never have started for us. That's the waY athletics work. As I said earlier, neither AJ, Bilbo, Ball or Carter is due anything. They have to take the bull by the horns and convince the coaches that they are the man if they want to play.

Back