Mississippi article on Bilbo

Nice response. I'll try to hit the main points.

1.) Gailey did say that Suggs would prove the naysayers wrong. He said it on his call-in show in response to a caller who was complaining about Suggs. Gailey was and I think still is enamored with Suggs to a certain extent.

2.) Bilbo did make mistakes in the Silicon Quagmire Bowl but it's not a stretch to mention the fact that the 14 points were more than the last 3 games combined. Consider the opponents and the circumstances. 7 points against an UGA team that was playing soft and 2nd stringers with a big lead. 0 points against a Duke team that had been shredded by Charlie Whitehurst the week before. 3 points against the weakest FSU team in 15 years.

3. I don't see how it's positive to start Suggs and completely eliminate Bilbo. As a for saying Bilbo was pressing, that is my opinion. I will admit I don't have any basis. However, I still you would have seen a different QB if he felt like he didn't have to be perfect.

4.) Finally, I think it's ridiculous to say Bilbo was already given a lot of chances. How was he given a chance when he throws a TD in the 4th quarter against Wake and never gets back in the game? How was he given a chance when a receiver drops a potential TD pass against Duke and he never plays again? How was he given a chance on the basis of one half in a mud pit in Silcon where he made mistakes but played a lot better than Suggs who very well may start against BYU?

How does "everything wide open" translate to fresmen will play every position?

What did you want him to say?
The more of this I read, the more I think this is all a hallucintion.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:

See this is the problem I have - I never said it was the 'who' - my first post here; I said it was 'how and when'! I stated the reasoning I had behind it and not that Ball beat him out but that he knew in April Damarius was not going to make it.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">nobody knew in april that bilbo won't make it at qb because nobody had seen what ball can do.

stop making things up lady

My letter to Arthur Jaramillo:

Mr. Jaramillo,
Your article published August 13, 2003 in the Mississippi Press concerning Georgia Tech football player Damarius Bilbo contains many factual errors as well as many assumptions--assumptions have no place in journalism in my opinion, but that is another story.

I concede your desire to put a favorable slant to a story involving a local athlete, however you have certainly taken much liberty "reporting" that which, to you, is only gossip and hearsay. Have you attended any GT practices? Have you followed Mr. Bilbo's career at GT beyond the extent of knowing any thing other than what games he go into and what his statististics were? Anyone can follow the box scores, but to evaluate a situation more than two years running based on that is ludicrous. I have attended practices and have followed Mr. Bilbo from his first days on campus. Had you done the same, your story would read differently.
I certainly understand Mr. Bilbo's feeling stunned the first couple of days after Coach Gailey's decision. Beyond that, I give no credence to your story, but I will gladly provide you with an accurate view of the situation.

First you suppose that Coach Gailey's decision proves he is "clueless on how to handle the school's quarterback situation." In effect, his move is one of complete confidence and will surely stabilize a situation once fraught with disappointing performances--both game and practice.

Last season was never an "on-and-off battle" for the starting position. A.J. Suggs started thirteen games, and Coach Gailey stated often that the position was not up for grabs. As for this year, Gailey has not named a starter, and all indications are that true freshman Reggie Ball has the "inside track" that you assumptively give to Suggs.

Mr. Bilbo's performance in the Silicon Valley Bowl, in whch you propose that Mr. Bilbo was called upon to provide a "spark" was indicative of his performance each time he was in the game. The plays he was told to run (coaches' call but apparantly the plays of which he had full grasp) were simple and predictable, and he did not execute those very well. As for the relationship with then offensive coordiantor Bill O'Brien, Mr. Bibo himself stated that his relationship with current QB coach and running game coordinator Patrick Nix is an improvement from what he had, and that he was able to relate more to Coach Nix and learn more from him. So, loyalty is not an issue. I'm not sure how you gentlemen in Mississippi play football, but in Georgia, you are loyal to family, and a team is a family. It is absurd to think that Coach Gailey--or any coach for that matter--would remove a productive QB from the mix because he had not recruited him. That, my biased journalistic friend, is quite a stretch.

What you "saw" (heard through the rumor mill) last year in what you call a "power struggle" between O'Brien and Gailey, is actually proof of his loyalty. Coach Gailey was "handed" Coach O'Brien by athletic director Dave Braine. Gailey did not pick his O-coordinator, but was loyal to him in that, firstly, he was a GT coach and, secondly, he (Gailey) had promised his nearly absolute control over the offense--on which he kept his word. O'Brien's move to Maryland, initially, was as a linebackers' coach. Only after an offensive assistant moved to another school was O'Brien moved to the offensive side of the ball--and then as a running backs' coach. That is hardly a "similiar position."

As to the "program's slide," last year's team which was hampered by many devastating injuries on both sides of the ball, equalled the previous year's win total and received a bowl bid. A slide usually indicates a digression or a falling back--such is not the case.

Don't judge Gailey just yet, and when you do venture again into the realm of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, please get your facts straight. Subjective journalism may sell well in Mississippi, but it is not reporting.

As for Damarius Bilbo, I am extremely proud that he is a Yellow Jacket. He chose a wonderful institute with a storied football program (and a top-notch baseball program as well) at which to matriculate and play ball. He is fine; he is adjusting to his move, and is excited about finding the spot wherein he can best contribute. With his superior athleticism, his spot (I'm hoping receiver,) wherever it is, will be quickly learned and properly executed. Should he choose to transfer, I wish him the best, but have a hunch he is where he is suppose to be. Mr. Bibo is sure to make his home state proud--then you will have a story write.

Most respectfully,
Bryan Gilmer; Macon, GA

Originally posted by LLCoolJacket:
How does "everything wide open" translate to fresmen will play every position?

What did you want him to say?
The more of this I read, the more I think this is all a hallucintion.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Chan has been saying freshmen playing since the end of the season and when the academics came down he added to his statements. He said it at Alumni functions as well.

He knew guys quit on him in the Ugag game - his feelings came out. Didn't those same feelings come out here about players quitting? Emotion may have been his reason - who knows? Isn't everyone still trying to figure him out?

Freshmen were going to play a role - I don't think he imagined before (academics) they would play as big a role but he said it!

What did "I" want him to say ... maybe he needs to think before he speaks or maybe he should conduct an interview that says what he really means - we get nothing straight these days.

gailey has been distant, unapproachable & arrogant with the media since the day he took this job... It has come back to roost as article after article is tearing him a new one... You can be a pompous ass to the media as a coach and get away with it if you win.. Lose & you pay the piper... gailey better win that BYU game ......

this thread ......
pat.gif

Originally posted by ylojk8:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:

See this is the problem I have - I never said it was the 'who' - my first post here; I said it was 'how and when'! I stated the reasoning I had behind it and not that Ball beat him out but that he knew in April Damarius was not going to make it.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">nobody knew in april that bilbo won't make it at qb because nobody had seen what ball can do.

stop making things up lady
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I REALLY WISH I WAS MAKING THIS UP AND THEN I COULD SAY - ha, ha! But unfortunately - joking at the expense of a program I have supported for this many years - IS NO JOKE!
frown.gif

good lord

bless her heart, she's thick skinned and thick skulled

3518techie make a very logical and reasoned post on an otherwise emotional thread, and yet gets vitually no response. Me thinks the FOCers and Bashers are now blinded to reason with agendas.

Keep up the level headed posting 3518, but most of all...THWG.

personally, i just dont see the issue. if he isnt getting the job done at qb, move him. wah wah if he feels bad. he has had plenty of time to earn the position.

what is he, 21? he doesnt need someone holding his hand and feeling sorry for him.

besides, i read an SI article one time where brett farve had 120+ plays to memorize that had names like, slot left xray zebra tango blah blah. think bilbo can do that, much less read nfl defense's/zone blitze's etc etc?

let him catch and run, much more of a future for him there imho.

Originally posted by 3518techie:
This article is too emotional but there is a point to me made. It makes no sense to switch Bilbo out of quarterback now. He will be pretty much useless at any other position this year. Bilbo should have been given a couple of starts. If he struggled, then play Ball. I'm skeptical of all these practice reports. All I heard last year was how great Suggs was practicing and every week was going to be his breakout game. Some players are not good practice players but play well on gameday. Brett Favre would still be on the bench if you went by his practices in his younger days. Ball may be the future at quarterback but there is a big difference between Auburn and Camden Co.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">here's why it makes sense to switch bilbo. two freshmen come in and look better than him. our coaches have reached a conclusion that bilbo cudn't cut it at QB and they are of the consensus that bilbo needs to be on the field, if not at QB then somewhere else.

the quicker you make that decision .. the more time you have to allow bilbo to find a suitable position (or if he's unhappy, transfer to another school).

i too am skeptical about practice reports and i don't know how to evaluate talent so even though i like to attend the practices .. i can't tell much from it.

"bilbo will be pretty much useless at another position this year"

point is that the coaching staff reached the conclusion that bilbo will be pretty much useless at QB which is why they told him to switch positions.

"bilbo should have been given a couple of starts" .. seems logical to state that. maybe so, but if bilbo cannot grasp a simplified offense, cannot show up in practice, you can't just give him a start just cause.

"Some players are not good practice players but play well on gameday. Brett Favre would still be on the bench if you went by his practices in his younger days."

no doubt .. i bet you that bilbo would have started if the freshmen hadn't performed in practice. right now, after 2 weeks of practice, ball looks as talented as bilbo ever has, makes as many exciting plays as bilbo did and what's more, makes less bad decisions. having ball (and even carter at times) performing better than bilbo and having suggs performing adequately to be a decent backup allows the coaching staff the luxury to "cut their losses" with bilbo and get him to another position so that he's on the field.

no doubt there's a big difference between auburn and camden county. but ball is performing with our first team offense and against our first team defense. i'd go on a limb and say that there's a big difference between georgia tech and camden county as well.

you're right GoldZ .. it was a logical and reasoned post. here's a logical and reasoned response.

From MSTa "This is NOT about Reggie Ball and who got the job - this is about how it was done and for me timing!

Sorry fellas, this coaching staff already had a mind set for Damarius capabilities. They should have taken the high road in April after spring practice - Chan had already said freshmen would play in all positions - this would have been easier to do then BECAUSE he made the statement."

HUH? WHAT? How in the hell could they "have taken the high road in April?" when a true frosh reporting in August took his job? For once (and I will say it) will you please SHUT THE F*** UP?

It is obvious to many on this board that either:

1. You aren't really a Tech fan
2. Have a weird way of showing it

or

3. Are totally clueless (my vote) as to anything you post about.

Give it up! Your agenda is too obvious. Go away!

Originally posted by 3518techie:

1.) Gailey did say that Suggs would prove the naysayers wrong. He said it on his call-in show in response to a caller who was complaining about Suggs. Gailey was and I think still is enamored with Suggs to a certain extent.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">techie, what makes you think this?

Judging just from the look on CG's face at the end of Silicon Valley 1st half, I'd be surprised to see Suggs more than a couple of plays a game this year.

Several people have made the point that CG simply did not have much QB material to work with last year, but somehow it's supposed to be his fault that the QBs did not perform consistently at the 1-A level. You can't coach a potato into a tomato.

Back