My sources say Ted Roof for DC

I could have sworn we had solid defenses in 00 and 01?

2000 was actually solid.

2001's not-so-impressive defensive performances:

Clemson 44-47 (L)
Virginia 38-39 (L)
Wake Forest 38-33 (W)

It wasn't nearly as bad as '99 and not as bad as our recent defenses have been, but not particularly good either. We started that season #10 and were considered a darkhorse for the MNC. That abysmal performance against Clemson killed it.

Please help me understand how he's a great recruiter.....I am posting the link that shows the recruits that HE is responsible for....mostly 2* and 3* with a mixed 4* here and there over the years. His last 4* was in 2009.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=238

I was wondering the same thing. If somebody wants to substantiate this reputation, I'd love to see it.

Jamal Golden tweeted that its strange to think Roof will be his DC when he was expecting Roof to recruit him, but he didn't.

A bend but not break sieve

I will ööööing gouge my eyes out and light my ears on fire if I hear someone on the staff describe Ted's defense this way during the season. That's all we heard in 1999-2000. It was more like the bend and bend over defense, you're about to get sodomized!

I will ööööing gouge my eyes out and light my ears on fire if I hear someone on the staff describe Ted's defense this way during the season. That's all we heard in 1999-2000. It was more like the bend and bend over defense, you're about to get sodomized!

:rotfl:
Dude, you made me shoot Coca-Cola out of my nose.

He did spend a year at Pedo State ...

Auburn held Oregon to 19 points in the BCS title game two years ago. That's doing some work.
I'm not wild about this hire, but I'm willing to see how it plays out.

Any team can get up for one game; we are talking about 18-22 year olds here, the mental aspect is huge. It's the long term results that matter, and they are pretty awful in Ted Roof's case.

This is the same as going and re-hiring Wommack. It's hiring a DC who had a defense that was terrible when the offense was top 10 nationally. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

After thinking about this for a while, I don't think the hire is terrible. He has established recruiting connections in the southeast, is a Georgia Tech guy, and has plenty of experience. Hope it works out. Go jackets, and THWG!

Any team can get up for one game; we are talking about 18-22 year olds here, the mental aspect is huge. It's the long term results that matter, and they are pretty awful in Ted Roof's case.

This is the same as going and re-hiring Wommack. It's hiring a DC who had a defense that was terrible when the offense was top 10 nationally. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

A look at his resume shows that outside of Duke, he's inherited someone else's players and hasn't turned it around quickly. We'll see, but he needs results within a year, maybe two, or he'll probably be back at Duke or UCF.

Well, I've been on record as saying the next hire for DC will be Paul Johnson's last chance and he goes out and hires Ted Roof.

Really?

Ted Roof?

Did anyone else see Auburn's defense when Cam Newton was quarterback and Nick Fairley was their best Dlineman? They were PATHETIC.

He had our defenses playing very well in the second and third year he was here. I'm not sure why you don't see that. First year - sucked. But it was 20th his second year.

In no way does it matter what he did at AU or PSU. Maybe it does not matter what he did at GT before, but it is REALLY STRANGE to rehire someone in this fashion.

I am not sure this was an upgrade from CCK, IDK.

People are talking about his recruiting. Can we have some names?

Some are talking, on the edges, about hiring a "Tech man". BFD!

The issue I see here is that there will be NO grace period. We need to improve recruiting and our D NOW! Not in 3 years or even 2 years. NOW - 2013.

Somebody mentioned curry - at this point I would not be shocked.

I would not be surprised if some "Tech Man" with mucho bucks said something along the lines of "PJ you got 1 more year, and if you fail we got your replacement already lined up and here." Well, if we ever did go to the B1G, at least we got a coach with conference experience!

I am wondering if PSU tried to keep him there.

There will have to be immediate success, and there will have to be a win against ugag.

I am fairly excited to see what he can do with a head coach that wants him to have 100% control of the defense (I know that scares some people around here).

At first I was "meh". Now I am cautiously optimistic.

I also like having a coach that won't need a pay check to be motivated to beat UGA.

This is a good not great hire. I would have loved a young up and coming DC, but to be pining over Kelley is ridiculous. Ted Roof is only 4 years older than Kelley. At Kelley's age, Roof already had 6 years of experience as a DC at the BCS level and 4 years of HC experience.

It will be an interesting experiment, to see whether Roof really is a bad DC or not. It is also a great opportunity for Roof to rewrite his coaching legacy at Tech.

The personnel situation is setting up nicely for him:
- Attaochu returns
- Jemea returns
- Most of rest of defense returns
- Fred Holton might finally see the field
- We've heard good things about redshirts Pat Gamble and Lynn Griffin
- Kallon has talent

The only negative personnel change I can think of is further depletion at DL from losing at least Barnes and Cross.

If our defense is bad again next year, there should be no question to any Tech fan that he is not a good DC. On the other hand, any improvement next year might just be due to a bump in the talent/experience level.

Lol at people displaying disappointment that we did not hire a guy whose crowning achievement was holding an unmotivated 7-5 team to less than a gazillion points, and then displaying angst at hiring a guy who held one of the top scoring teams in the nation in the biggest game in CFB to 19 points.

I am not Saban thrilled about this hire, and I would have been very happy with CCK but the people who are displaying massive annoyance at this hire, and desperately wanted CCK instead are out of their minds. It's obvious rational thinking is something never available to them.

Back