ND to ACC?

Of course ND wants to remain Indy but that has a lot of ifs attached to it.
If anyone believes that the SEC or any other Conferrence is going to give them a free ride into the final four without playing a very tough schedule is crazy and the domers know it.
I have a number of friends that are domers all believe that ND will be in the ACC sooner rather than later as a full partner one of those friends will have a vote in that decision.
None of those folks gauranteed anything but most give it a 90% chance and soon.

What are the "ifs" you reference for ND to remain independent?

I thought ND already played a tough schedule, at least enough to get to the FF if they actually had an undefeated or one loss season.

I would love to believe your projection, but I am curious what you think would drive ND to change.

What are the "ifs" you reference for ND to remain independent?

I thought ND already played a tough schedule, at least enough to get to the FF if they actually had an undefeated or one loss season.

I would love to believe your projection, but I am curious what you think would drive ND to change.

Well, their path to a 1-loss or undefeated season is a heck of a lot easier in the ACC or B1G for that matter. Check out this year's schedule.

Navy (Neutral)
Purdue
@MSU
Michigan
Miami (Neutral)
Standford
BYU
@OU
Pitt
@BC
WFU
@USC

That's a monster schedule.

TL;DR RickyReck says there is a 90% chance The Jacket will be establishing himself as a good role model by drinking his own piss.

I said no such thing. I passed along what a few of my friends that happen to be domers one of which that has a vote in that decesion told me.Take it for what it's worth. It's all about money and I for one believe that ND is a very good fit in the ACC and would solidify the Conference.
I have also been told that ND would likely have a good deal say in who be the last choice to be invited to join the ACC.

This year is the first schedule they have had in a very long time that resembles the schedules they use to play.
Those of us that are old enough to remember can tell you they were brutal.
ND is IMO a top tier school but things have changed when it comes to recruiting.
The SAs in FLA, GA, Penn etc are not as likely to want to go to a school as they used to be that's 500 miles away plus the 25 ship rule means a lot more competition. ND must recruit on a national basis for most of their SA's they are not a large state univ and the state of Ind. will not give them the kind of big name recruits they will need to compete with the likes of the SEC and BIG. The ACC is a perfect place for them Athleticly and Academically.

Well, their path to a 1-loss or undefeated season is a heck of a lot easier in the ACC or B1G for that matter. Check out this year's schedule.

Navy (Neutral)
Purdue
@MSU
Michigan
Miami (Neutral)
Standford
BYU
@OU
Pitt
@BC
WFU
@USC

That's a monster schedule.

So the idea is they need to play a monster schedule to have a chance at the FF as an independent; yet that monster schedule reduces their chances of winning enough games?

I guess it depends on whether those at ND share that pragmatic view of the future.

So the idea is they need to play a monster schedule to have a chance at the FF as an independent; yet that monster schedule reduces their chances of winning enough games?

I guess it depends on whether those at ND share that pragmatic view of the future.

They don't need the monster schedule. That was pushed on them by NBC, not choice. There's a decent chance that they don't qualify for a bowl at all this year.

They don't need the monster schedule. That was pushed on them by NBC, not choice. There's a decent chance that they don't qualify for a bowl at all this year.

I agree, but they will not be allowed at the table on just being ND. IMO they have been the most overated team in CFB over the past 25 yrs, much of that old time luster is gone, even the domers realize that. They will have to play a least an SEC compatible schedule or be in one of the conferences.IMO ND will never dominate CFB the way they once did.

Last edited:
This thread has been a very entertaining read for me in the Airport....thank you....

This year is the first schedule they have had in a very long time that resembles the schedules they use to play.
Those of us that are old enough to remember can tell you they were brutal.
ND is IMO a top tier school but things have changed when it comes to recruiting.
The SAs in FLA, GA, Penn etc are not as likely to want to go to a school as they used to be that's 500 miles away plus the 25 ship rule means a lot more competition. ND must recruit on a national basis for most of their SA's they are not a large state univ and the state of Ind. will not give them the kind of big name recruits they will need to compete with the likes of the SEC and BIG. The ACC is a perfect place for them Athleticly and Academically.

I think a huge feather in their cap for recruiting those "distant/out of state" recruits was that they would be on TV every week. The current TV deals for each of the major conferences over the years has negated that advantage.

So in the event ND is on the final four or not eligible that year, who do we get for the orange? SEC 3, B1G 2-3, etc?

We'll probably pick up the BCS buster du jour if we don't get ND.

Back