ND to ACC?

8 Schools have played Notre Dame more than Tech. You are incorrect on your assumption that most of the games have been in bowls. Tech. and Notre Dame have a long history going back to Knute Rockne and Bill Alexander. There is a very good reason ND chose Tech. to be the opponent to dedicate the new stadium in 1997.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/independents/notre_dame/opponents.php

Im wrong? didn't i say i know they have a great history but lately it's been bowls and that 1 home and away. people need to read a little more before providing their 2 cents of worthless knowledge.

Im almost 30- Gt ND have played eachother 4 times in my lifespan.
1 time we went there to open the stadium, 1 and 1, and a gator bowl.

in all games ND has outscored tech by over 450 points with a 27-6-1- record vs. sounds like a rivalry.

I'm just not following you on what you mean by "cater."

Here's an excerpt from Malloy's rejection of the B1G's last membership offer:

The process of sharing information with the Big Ten and CIC has been of great value to Notre Dame. It encouraged us to consider a variety of issues integral to our pursuit of academic and athletic excellence, as well as to our distinct mission as a Catholic university. We have great respect for both the academic stature and the athletic integrity of the Big Ten universities.
Why, then, not take the ultimate step in partnership and become a member of the Big Ten? That answer, in the end result, transcends the many individual factors, academic and athletic, that weigh either for or against conference affiliation. Ultimately, the answer lies in the institutional identity of Notre Dame, its overarching definition. Just as the Universities of Michigan or Wisconsin or Illinois have core identities as the flagship institutions of their states, so Notre Dame has a core identity, and at that core are these characteristics—Catholic, private, independent.

Emphasis mine. Not too incredibly long ago, when this was written (Feb 1999), ND opted not to join the B1G because they felt that they didn't fit in with the conference, culturally or academically.

Catholic: The B1G's prior rejection of ND's membership requests from one of their legendary coaches (Rockne) partially on grounds that they were a Catholic university didn't help, nor did the flight or rejection of Catholic universities all over the nation from the AAU, around which the B1G membership is essentially based. They didn't feel it would be consistent with their Catholicism to align themselves with the B1G then, and what about any of that has changed? Just that the Catholic University of America dropped out of the AAU in 2002 citing similar disagreeances. If anything, the AAU has become even further removed from the graces of the Catholic academia in that span.

Private: The B1G has just one private school, Northwestern, which was founded on Methodist principles that were later omitted from the mission of the university. Northwestern is also the smallest member of the B1G by enrollment, and is several times the size of ND at both the undergrad and especially at the postgraduate levels. Northwestern is also primarily a nonsectarian research university along with many of the members of the B1G, all cooperating in the CIC. The CIC is the academic counterpart to the football conference and membership is de-facto required for sports participation. This committee clashes vividly with ND's mission, because the CIC directs such conference initiatives as course sharing, cooperative purchasing, and diversity initiatives. ND is not open to changing its religious culture for participation in sports, and it is not open to changing its academic culture for participation in research. As it stringently attempts to maintain control and independence in its business decisions, it also isn't open to cooperative purchasing efforts.

So when I say the B1G would not 'cater' to ND, it means the B1G isn't willing to make an exception to the arrangement of the academic side of the conference to grab the ND football money, which is precisely true. The B1G views itself as an academic conference of premier research universities long before an athletic conference of any kind, and they've been running the shop quite successfully this way since the 50's. The B1G allowing ND to maintain the elements of its identity that it deems most important and still be a member of the B1G would essentially be catering to ND.

So yes, the B1G makes sense more than the ACC from a football perspective, but IMO it is a very bad fit for ND the university.

Im wrong? didn't i say i know they have a great history but lately it's been bowls and that 1 home and away. people need to read a little more before providing their 2 cents of worthless knowledge.

Im almost 30- Gt ND have played eachother 4 times in my lifespan.
1 time we went there to open the stadium, 1 and 1, and a gator bowl.

in all games ND has outscored tech by over 450 points with a 27-6-1- record vs. sounds like a rivalry.

I obviously misunderstood your declaration, "Other than the home and away most of the matchups with GT were bowl games."

Using your criteria, we can conclude that Clemson is not a rival of Tech. Maybe it's because I've been around for half of the games, but I remember it as very heated.

I obviously misunderstood your declaration, "Other than the home and away most of the matchups with GT were bowl games."

Using your criteria, we can conclude that Clemson is not a rival of Tech. Maybe it's because I've been around for half of the games, but I remember it as very heated.

a rival is a team that you make sure to put on your schedule more than 3 times in thirty years. keep coming at me clown :)

a rival is a team that you make sure to put on your schedule more than 3 times in thirty years. keep coming at me clown :)

How did you make that determination? Many Tech and Auburn people would disagree with your assertion.

can someone paraphrase it in twitter character limitations.

There's a lot of history between ND and the B1G, as well as clashing purposes between the various academic and business arms of the B1G and the mission and culture of ND that neither are willing to relax. These were cited explicitly by the former head guy at ND when they rejected a B1G offer in 1999 as a trump card over any athletic or academic benefit the B1G might provide. Since that time, the divide between some of them has only gotten larger. Additionally, ND does not in the slightest way fit the enrollment profile of a B1G school.

Maybe a little longer than a tweet, but that's about as small as I can get it.

Everything TIA has been saying gels with what I've heard elsewhere. I'd also add size; I think ND has less than 10k undergrad.

From what I've heard, we sports fans often underappreciate the significance of non-sports relationships in conference affiliations.

There's a lot of history between ND and the B1G, as well as clashing purposes between the various academic and business arms of the B1G and the mission and culture of ND that neither are willing to relax. These were cited explicitly by the former head guy at ND when they rejected a B1G offer in 1999 as a trump card over any athletic or academic benefit the B1G might provide. Since that time, the divide between some of them has only gotten larger. Additionally, ND does not in the slightest way fit the enrollment profile of a B1G school.

Maybe a little longer than a tweet, but that's about as small as I can get it.
youre boss.

Everything TIA has been saying gels with what I've heard elsewhere. I'd also add size; I think ND has less than 10k undergrad.

From what I've heard, we sports fans often underappreciate the significance of non-sports relationships in conference affiliations.

Good point about the non-sports relationships. This is a big reason that Tech. is well suited in the ACC.

a.aaa-Oompa-Loompa-Pup.jpg

I've been around long enough to remember when we Sanduskied Clemson every year and never played at Death Valley.

Why does ThisIsAtlanta know so much about Notre Dame and the Big 10? That was an unusually informed post.

The status quo will be maintained until someone decides to jump to 16 teams. It would probably be the PAC 12 grabbing 4 of the Big 12 teams (KU, KSU, OU, OSU, UT, TT) and the SEC grabs the Texas or Oklahoma teams. The Big 10 would then offer ND an ultimatum and fill out with a combination of Big 12, ACC, and BE teams. The ACC would get to pick up the scraps to get to 16 and therefore the 4 conferences would have control of the vote. So if ND plays hardball with the Big 10, they'll have no other choice but the ACC or they get left out of the playoff system.

Back