ND to ACC?

because they make big money on their own by having traditions and history.

playing usc, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue and Navy every year.

They also play Wake Forrest, BC (every year), Pitt (most years), and Miami this year. They also have histories with GT, FSU, Syracuse, and Maryland. The Michigan State (not on their schedule after 2013) and Purdue games could be dropped, they aren't as big of rivalries as USC and Michigan.

They'd also be much more powerful in the ACC. I still think they go Big Ten, but the ACC has a shot. By the way, that big money is $15M per year, about what the ACC per team payout is after Pitt and Syracuse join. What kind of deal do you think the ACC could renegotiate with them in the mix?

I think Big X makes the most sense if ND were to join a conference but ACC is in second place, and not so distant that I would be shocked if it happened.

That said, I don't see Notre Dame joining a conference at any point in the near future.

ACC makes more sense than the B1G does for a bunch of reasons. Tons of Irish fans all up and down the east coast, and the ones that are in the midwest already get to see them play all their home games. They like their basketball team and the ACC is the place to be for that. They like to associate with private schools, we have five. We have the requesite academics just as much as the B1G does, they've already got all-sports relationships with many of our current and future members, and with Pitt & Cuse added to BC & MD we now have a solid presence in the northeast so they can stay comfy up there.

ND has already been rejected by the B1G for membership way back in the Knute Rockne days partially over prejudice against Catholicism. There's even sentiment among Catholic universities that the AAU is anti-religious or leaning in that direction, which was partially responsible for ND rejecting membership in the CIC and B1G in '99. There are a few things that the B1G has going for it, like prestige and location, but ND's priorities are historically in a different direction.

And as far as TV money is concerned, the money will follow ND wherever they go. The only reason the ACC would have trouble with snagging ND in football is because ND has too many national football rivalries it wants to maintain. Even if it just wants to keep Michigan, tUSC, and Navy, those don't leave it any room for schedule variation with the ACC's 9 game conference schedule. But we're easily their best option for all sports other than football, and especially basketball when they inevitably decide that the Big East isn't working for them anymore, which will just strengthen the ACC's football argument in the future.

That's one thing I keep forgetting about when I laugh about this idea. I don't know what the chances are of them jumping from the Big East to the ACC for everything but football. The biggest sport would be basketball. Is it really worth making that jump? If they were stuck in the Atlantic-10 or something, yeah. But the Big East isn't too shabby in the cage department.

there is no advantage for ND to join a conference.

the advantage would be for the conferences.

there is no advantage for ND to join a conference.
Not while they get all the perks of a conference in football anyway. There they're essentially the premier member of the Notre Dame Conference, raking in mountains of cash from the weekly "NDC on NBC" broadcast and they've dominated this conference so completely that the BCS granted them alone special access to the top bowls.

What a bunch of bastards.

That's one thing I keep forgetting about when I laugh about this idea. I don't know what the chances are of them jumping from the Big East to the ACC for everything but football. The biggest sport would be basketball. Is it really worth making that jump? If they were stuck in the Atlantic-10 or something, yeah. But the Big East isn't too shabby in the cage department.

In all likelihood, they won't. The Jump to the ACC would be worth it if they were after a more competitive conference in basketball, but the reality is that the BE is the Catholic Conference from an all-sports perspective and that's why ND will stay there until they are really hurting or unless somebody makes them an offer they can't refuse. 8 Catholic universities and they are picking up SMU, which, while not Catholic, is still private / sectarian. In any case, the ACC would make more sense by far than the B1G along those lines.

In all likelihood, they won't. The Jump to the ACC would be worth it if they were after a more competitive conference in basketball, but the reality is that the BE is the Catholic Conference from an all-sports perspective and that's why ND will stay there until they are really hurting or unless somebody makes them an offer they can't refuse. 8 Catholic universities and they are picking up SMU, which, while not Catholic, is still private / sectarian. In any case, the ACC would make more sense by far than the B1G along those lines.

Oops, my bad. Somehow in reading your other post I kept thinking you were talking about the BE rather than the B1G. But yes, you echo my thinking exactly and GetSoupy touched on it as well: The rumors and excitement start up because the people in these conferences value the idea of ND joining them. But I can't imagine that it gets much play up in South Bend, or at least not anywhere near the same amount as you see in the rest of the country.

Until it is made apparent that Notre Dame will no longer get preferred BCS treatment, they aren't going anywhere. And they make more sense in the Big 10+2 than they do in the ACC. Unless the Big 10 hits 16 teams without Notre Dame, they aren't joining the ACC.

It would be worth it for them. Basketball would be a wash and other sports the advantage should go to the ACC. But what conference other than the BE would be willing to take those crappy terms?

Until it is made apparent that Notre Dame will no longer get preferred BCS treatment, they aren't going anywhere. And they make more sense in the Big 10+2 than they do in the ACC. Unless the Big 10 hits 16 teams without Notre Dame, they aren't joining the ACC.

I agree, but I have been surprised before.

I suspect ND is flirting around to get a better deal from the Big 10.

Why, exactly, does ND make more sense in the B1G than in the ACC other than geographical location? You guys are seriously underestimating the extent to which they value their private Catholic identity. The B1G has never catered to that, and likely never will.

Why, exactly, does ND make more sense in the B1G than in the ACC other than geographical location? You guys are seriously underestimating the extent to which they value their private Catholic identity. The B1G has never catered to that, and likely never will.

I'm just not following you on what you mean by "cater."

I think the Big X makes more sense because Big X is midwestern and has a lot of football crazed schools with huge student bodies and stadiums, similar to Notre Dame. From a football program similarity standpoint, I think the Big X makes the most sense.

For all the other reasons you mentioned, the ACC makes sense, and that's why I had us in a not-so-distant second place.

The other thing no one has mentioned yet (I don't think) is that I think the ACC would be willing to accept ND as football-only and allow their other sports to remain in the Big East. What would be the downside for us if we did that?

The other thing no one has mentioned yet (I don't think) is that I think the ACC would be willing to accept ND as football-only and allow their other sports to remain in the Big East. What would be the downside for us if we did that?

The funny thing is that the little girl is probably the only conference commissioner willing to allow that. God bless him.

because they make big money on their own by having traditions and history.

playing usc, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue and Navy every year.
Also BC, Pitt, Cuse, sometimes GT. They play a lot of ACC teams.

B1G is clearly the best fit, but ACC is second best. If the B1G is still pissed off about ND snubbing them during their last expansion, they might not let ND in, and if so, we're likely to land them. That's our only real shot, though, IMO. That or we cut them an unequal revenue sharing deal, which I don't see happening.

Also BC, Pitt, Cuse, sometimes GT. They play a lot of ACC teams.

B1G is clearly the best fit, but ACC is second best.

they obviously play acc teams here and there and have good relationships with them. Other than the home and away most of the matchups with GT were bowl games.

ND actually plays Miami, BC, Pitt, Wake, and BC this year. their relationship with this set of schools vs. michigan or usc isnt even comprable.

The funny thing is that the little girl is probably the only conference commissioner willing to allow that. God bless him.

Maybe, but pride isn't good when it hurts your conference. I would be thrilled to have ND as a member of the ACC football-only. Would I rather have them in all sports? Of course. However, I'd rather have them football-only than not at all, because that would be a big boost to our conference's football.

Maybe, but pride isn't good when it hurts your conference. I would be thrilled to have ND as a member of the ACC football-only. Would I rather have them in all sports? Of course. However, I'd rather have them football-only than not at all, because that would be a big boost to our conference's football.

I agree. I don't think there's a chance it'll happen, but I would love to have the Irish in our league, even as football only.

And in regard to the pride thing, that was my point. If ND's sole condition (doubtful) was that they'd only be joining in football, out of the possible candidates I think the ACC is the only one that wouldn't care. I agree that this is a good thing, though it will likely never matter.

they obviously play acc teams here and there and have good relationships with them. Other than the home and away most of the matchups with GT were bowl games.

ND actually plays Miami, BC, Pitt, Wake, and BC this year. their relationship with this set of schools vs. michigan or usc isnt even comprable.

8 Schools have played Notre Dame more than Tech. You are incorrect on your assumption that most of the games have been in bowls. Tech. and Notre Dame have a long history going back to Knute Rockne and Bill Alexander. There is a very good reason ND chose Tech. to be the opponent to dedicate the new stadium in 1997.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/independents/notre_dame/opponents.php

Back