ND to ACC?

This. Our arrangement with the OB makes us the primary beneficiary. Getting ND on board makes us the primary beneficiary of a bigger pay check. C'mon NBC!

Yes. Maybe the ACC/ND could ink a deal with NBC similar to the sec deal with CBS. That would be awesome.

Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs
Fact ND is hooking up with OB confirms lack of open spots in playoff. Even ND's history/tradition can't save it a spot

The possibility of ND being 9-3, 8-4 is more enticing to OB than Big East champ in ANY year.

Fact ND is hooking up with OB confirms lack of open spots in playoff. Even ND's history/tradition can't save it a spot

The possibility of ND being 9-3, 8-4 is more enticing to OB than Big East champ in ANY year.

I'm a little confused about the first tweet. A team would only go to the OB if it did not make the playoff...so how does signing a deal with the OB confirm that there is no spot in the playoff for ND? The two things seem unrelated to me.

I'm a little confused about the first tweet. A team would only go to the OB if it did not make the playoff...so how does signing a deal with the OB confirm that there is no spot in the playoff for ND? The two things seem unrelated to me.

probably means the whole new top bowl system by playoff

probably means the whole new top bowl system by playoff

It still does not make sense. It would be stupid to assume any team would make the playoff every season. So how does lining up with a major bowl for the years you are not in the top four send any message?

It still does not make sense. It would be stupid to assume any team would make the playoff every season. So how does lining up with a major bowl for the years you are not in the top four send any message?

The message is that unless you play in one of the big 5 conferences or are Notre Dame, don't expect to play in one of the top bowls unless you happen to finish in the top 4 (but that's not going to happen because the big 5 will control the selection committee).

This is impossible to answer accurately without seeing the final agreement ACC and ND make on Orange Bowl, and agreements other top bowls make with other leagues.

Dodd's point is that ND feels like that they need to secure a spot, so that's a sign.

Why does anybody feel like they should throw a lifeline to Notre Done??

Let them sink down to Dook-like levels.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

Why does anybody feel like they should throw a lifeline to Notre Done??

Let them sink down to Dook-like levels.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

It's not a matter of throwing them a lifeline. ND is a valuable commodity, at least in their current form. The OB signing ND helps the OB and the ACC; that's why this deal is happening.

This is impossible to answer accurately without seeing the final agreement ACC and ND make on Orange Bowl, and agreements other top bowls make with other leagues.

Dodd's point is that ND feels like that they need to secure a spot, so that's a sign.

I can see this signalling the end of the BCS as we know it and ND feeling like they need to secure a contract with a decent bowl. I don't think it has anything to do with whether there is a spot at the playoff table for a good Notre Dame team (in fact, I think it is absurd to think there will not be.)

if ND had to join--it wouldnt make sense to join the acc.

I think Big X makes the most sense if ND were to join a conference but ACC is in second place, and not so distant that I would be shocked if it happened.

That said, I don't see Notre Dame joining a conference at any point in the near future.

if ND had to join--it wouldnt make sense to join the acc.

Why is that? The Big 10, Big 12, PAC 12, and SEC aced them out of some of the major bowls. Geographically, the Big 10 makes the most sense, but their ties to the east coast make the ACC a possibility. When the NBC contract runs out, it would make sense to look around. Their current contract pays less than any of the 5 conferences.

Truthfully, I see them going Big Ten, but the ACC has a shot. We'll see what triggers the next moves, but once conference go to 16 teams, they have the votes to leave ND out.

I think Big X makes the most sense if ND were to join a conference but ACC is in second place, and not so distant that I would be shocked if it happened.

That said, I don't see Notre Dame joining a conference at any point in the near future.

They could choose the ACC for the same reason FSU did. Competitive advantage. Bowden didn't want to get beat up by the SEC.

because they make big money on their own by having traditions and history.

playing usc, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue and Navy every year.

If indeed the piss drinking happens, SEZBee, must do us all a favor and eat lots of asparagus the night before.

Back