New DB Coach: Travares Tillman

Well, I guess it's an upgrade for Coach Tillman.
Welcome to the Flats Coach.

The stats that show Michigan St. as dead last in passing defense are a little misleading (it looks like Georgia Tech is the unequivocal winner for 2021), but it seems like they're at best in the bottom third.

Geoff seems to have a knack for hiring alumni; hopefully, that didn't cloud his judgment here.

Our coaching searches are now Hunger Games episodes. I’m afraid we’ll be searching again next year at this time.

With all the new hires does that mean that CGC overvalued the staff he brought with him to GT? Or did he bring them because he was comfortable with them?
Does it mean that perhaps CGC was/is not astute with those hires & has suddenly gotten better at hiring? Or is someone else making those hires.
Don't want this to sound unfair to CGC but wondering.

With all the new hires does that mean that CGC overvalued the staff he brought with him to GT? Or did he bring them because he was comfortable with them?
Does it mean that perhaps CGC was/is not astute with those hires & has suddenly gotten better at hiring? Or is someone else making those hires.
Don't want this to sound unfair to CGC but wondering.
Probably a mix of comfort and price tag. TStan was probably ecstatic at the time to bring coordinators etc from a G5-paid team

So this means no new DC? Makes no sense to hire defensive assistants before hiring a DC.

I have no idea how to interpret this.
Collins never indicated there'd be a change at DC as far as I'm aware. His statement just said he felt there needed to be changes in leadership on both sides of the ball. The "leaders" on the defensive side he's referring to are probably the two secondary coaches.

I can't name a single one, but I Google guy and his resume is pretty blank. I'm not saying he's bad or even worse than other DB coaches, the group may not be experienced on average, just that there isn't anything there to make me go "hey we got a good one". Not exciting.

I have no idea how our secondary will perform under Tillman. I look at it this way: We got him from a higher profile program that is winning. That gives me more optimism than just bringing up a Temple staffer. I dunno that any of these assistant hires are going to be exciting, necessarily, but I do see needed upgrades in quality.

Always cool to have former players come in as position coaches and recruiters. That is where you earn your stripes for bigger and better roles at a program. Michigan State’s pass D was a known weakness for them which is a little concerning but maybe this is an example of a win-win for both parties as he may have been feeling some heat.

Back